Does Everyone Hate Korean Beauty Standards?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by emanresu, Jan 26, 2018.

1. riririn

riririn Newbie

Currency:
    I think a lot of idols are attractive but honestly other than IU there isn't any idol that I consistently think is gorgeous. They're all pretty but generally there's nothing that stands out to me to make them strikingly so. There are definitely moments where I think, "Holy crap, they're gorgeous" but I've never felt exactly the same as most of Korea about a lot of visuals where they're unbeatable-ly stunning.

Honestly, the way that they talk about it ("their face is so small <3") is weird but imo the actual idea behind it makes (more) sense: they're concerned about proportions, and when you have a small head/face it makes your proportions look better too.

JongWae and emanresu like this.
  2. Blacklily96

Blacklily96 Married to : @Drew_B

Currency:
    Though to be fair, I totally like the beauty standard in a way, I find it visually pleasing, despite its bad sides.

LovelySerenity and emanresu like this.
  3. Spinereader

Spinereader Leader

Currency:
    The women (well, usually girls) that Koreans find attractive I tend to agree are very pretty. But when standards are so narrow that everyone loses weight to the point they look gaunt (Sunmi worries me), bleaches their skin, and gets plastic surgery to meet the standard, I suddenly agree with racists who say Asians all look alike. Because those particular Asians look nearly identical to me. For the life of me I can't tell Loona members apart. Though I do agree they're incredibly beautiful.

amaruati and emanresu like this.
  4. godvelvet

godvelvet Married to @Drug

Currency:
    @propanda

5. rjkoya3579

rjkoya3579 Public Figure

Currency:
    their standards aren't 100% my type but i don't hate them

surprise_bitch and emanresu like this.
  6. JongWae

JongWae Newbie

Currency:
    On one hand I kind of understand that, but on the other... having a bigger head doesn’t really make people look unproportional. I actually think girls with bigger heads look cuter because their proportions are more childlike and it makes their shoulders look narrower and more feminine. That being said, it’s not like I’ve got a measuring tape out every time I see a pretty girl xD I’ve never really put this much thought into head vs body proportions before lol

emanresu likes this.
  7. SinBuddy116

SinBuddy116 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Buddy Gang
    I love Korean beauty and I like the look they try to achieve I don't like how much pressure girls are under to achieve it and that healthy girls are being told they are fat.

8. gay6

gay6 Rookie

Currency:
    i find that i do agree with what korean beauty standards of female attractiveness are. suzy irene tzuyu etc are super pretty to me

emanresu and surprise_bitch like this.
  9. surprise_bitch

surprise_bitch Married to: Infire707

Currency:
    broke student
    cause you think they're all plastic

10. surprise_bitch

Currency:
    broke student
    I don't agree with the standards

11. surprise_bitch

Currency:
    broke student
    because Koreans don't like "dark/tanned skin", it's unfavorable over pale skin

LovelySerenity likes this.
  12. Riko_Nee

Riko_Nee Rookie

Currency:
    I hate it too at first.
    But then what's the point?
    If these beauty standards doesn't exist, then another type of beauty standard will replace them.
    Beauty standards will always benefit someone and disadvantage someone, no matter what it is.
    Example: If the thin lip beauty standard exist, the one with thick lips will have a disadvantage. If the thick lips beauty standard exist, the one with the thin lips will have a disadvantage.
    It's all just a vicious cycle lmao.

13. may1889

may1889 Super Rookie

Currency:
    i hate beauty standards in general. i know korea's beauty is pretty much that one beauty standard and i do think it's sad that pretty much a lot of girls will strive for that one look hence, when they get plastic surgery, they tend to go for that easy pretty look.
    personally, whatever float people's boat. if they do something because they think they look pretty like that , i personally wont stop them or disagree or shame on them but i do hope they also realise that they dont have to take extreme measures to look 'pretty'.

LovelySerenity likes this.
  14. may1889

may1889 Super Rookie

Currency:
    tbh it really got to the whole class thing. during historical times (in asia), people from upper class tend to have pale skin since they didnt have to leave their house, nor do any form of hard labour hence their skin didnt get tanned by the sun. whereas people from lower class tend to have darker/tan skin because they had to work in the field and had to do hard labour under the hot af sun. so ideally, having pale skin was like the icon of being in upper class whereas, having darker/tan skin meant you were from a poor background.
    and i personally think it's just hard for them to not compare their skin colour with each other. even though they are the same race, their skin tone are different thus, they'll just compare and look which tone looks the best and on top of that there the class status, so eventually pale skin becomes the beauty ideal.

emanresu likes this.
  15. godvelvet

godvelvet Married to @Drug

Currency:
    No. Because they don't have any appeal.

I don't really think that just because they didn't use whitening shots just like other idols makes them excluded from their beauty standard.
    Actress Song Hye Gyo doesn't match Korean beauty standard too, but Koreans find her extremely pretty.

emanresu and surprise_bitch like this.
  16. inverity

inverity Public Figure

Currency:
    poking jaehyun's dimples
    i have no major issues except for the pale thing
    i associate being pale with vampires and NEETS and i don’t care for it. it looks sickly sometimes.

JongWae, seolhyunsgf and emanresu like this.
  17. Icy68446

Icy68446 Married to @kddicted

Currency:
    ♡ A Softie ♡
    I think what Korea classifies as beautiful is beautiful, but I think they take it to an extreme. They shame too many people who are perfectly beautiful because they aren't this far fetched idea of perfection, and never will be. I think the easiest example is the skin tone, people who have darker skin are "worth less," and that is unfair. Notice how many idols are still called ugly, some of these idols, who are literally selected by their company for their good looks, are still degraded because they aren't pale and really thin.

emanresu likes this.
  18. surprise_bitch

Currency:
    broke student
    I know they are some tanned idols Koreans find really attractive
    but they are also others who get bashed for it and get edited, etc

emanresu likes this.
  19. riririn

riririn Newbie

Currency:
    That's totally true lol. I think Koreans can get too obsessed with it like when they say Irene has bad proportions even though her face is a normal size and her body fits that size fine or saying Sunmi's proportions are totally ruined by her head.

Well, I started this because I mostly agreed with the Korean small face ideal but now I realize that like a lot of their other beauty standards they take it too far...

JongWae and emanresu like this.
  20. richiedorjie

richiedorjie Rookie

Currency:
    Funny because IU is an ultimate definition of "plain", "super plain", "mega giga google plain" looks lol She looks like a kindergarten kid. Her face looks like a that of a pre-puberty little girl, her body also looks like a little kid's. And I am not bashing. I am just stating facts that are in front of my eyes. She is way far from what we people usually understand under "gorgeous" lol

#60 richiedorjie, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018