Do you miss Actual Choreography and Performance on Mainstream?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Storm_Bloom, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Storm_Bloom

Storm_Bloom Super Rookie

The only performances I've actually seen lately with semi decent dances in it are 4H's WFH performance on PCA ( after years of trainwreck godawful performances, they finally delivered with that one ) and Ariana's Problem/Focus stages but other than that, I rarely seen popstars who dances nowadays.

Do you miss it or has Kpop takes it place now? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sugakookies likes this.
  2. Baltax

Baltax Super Rookie

That was the golden era of pop for me, I miss those days when we had bops and PERFORMERS like this.
    But somewhere between 2010 - 2012 we started giving songwriters with wack voices more attention and now people wants "substance" before a performance.
    That's why I love K-Pop and I'm glad it's slowly taking over.

Storm_Bloom likes this.
  3. Storm_Bloom

Storm_Bloom Super Rookie

oops hot tea spilledT

[​IMG]

MuRIkA are getting lazier so I ain't shock it do reflects with their music

[​IMG]

#3 Storm_Bloom, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  4. fadedcolors

fadedcolors Super Rookie

married to Shownu
    For some reason, I watched this performance while thinking of kpop groups that could compare to this, but I couldn't think of one that was on par or good enough as this. I'm not sure if I explained that right.

5. Storm_Bloom

Storm_Bloom Super Rookie

the other group in my sig says otherwise..

[​IMG]

This is one of the reasons why I stan them bc they do reminds me of PCD sometimes when it comes
    to dancing and showing sexiness and charisma when performing [​IMG]

6. fadedcolors

fadedcolors Super Rookie

married to Shownu
    I get what you mean, and I have seen a lot of GG performances and they're great. But I can't compare them. PCD just have something that GG doesn't have.

Storm_Bloom likes this.
  7. KRZO

KRZO Super Rookie

Kinda but not in a "I really want this in western music now" type of way.

If you want to see good choreographed dance you can see it anywhere nowadays ,which is why there isn't much demand for it in western music.

I actually hope for more diversity and substance in Kpop than I do choreographed dance in western music.

8. Storm_Bloom

Storm_Bloom Super Rookie

like natural flow of rhythm and sexiness?

I know SNSD's can be a bit cold and felt force tho. ​

9. Storm_Bloom

Storm_Bloom Super Rookie

since when Pop has substance? it's not the type of music that has it..

I agree about diversity tho. ​

10. fadedcolors

fadedcolors Super Rookie

married to Shownu
    I think it might just be how groups are expected to do choreographed dances so it feels rigid and not too free flowing.

11. Storm_Bloom

Storm_Bloom Super Rookie

yeah that's what I just said SNSD or Kpop groups in general lacks that "natural" rhythm and flow bc
    they do "choreographed" dances as you pointed it out and sometimes it tends to look robotic and calculated. ​

fadedcolors likes this.
  12. KRZO

KRZO Super Rookie

By substance I mean more original, unique, and thought provoking music rather than just the same simple songs about love with choreographed dance.

Music that is appealing to more than just teenagers that doesn't come off too overly manufactured.

but even if we're talking about substance in what the song talks about as far as subject matter, you do have alot of that in western pop. I mean just off the top of my head in recent years songs like.

Jessie J - Price Tag
    Clean Bandit - Rockabye
    Alessia Cara - Here
    Lorde - Royals
    Weeknd - The Hills
    Fun. - We are young
    Magic - Rude
    Sabrina Carpenter- Thumbs
    Rachel Platten - Fight Song
    Colbie Caillat - Try
    Julia Michaels - Issues
    R.City -Locked Away
    Ed Sheeran - The A-Team

then you have all the rap songs with substance on top of that.

Then if you look back to the 60s - 90s it was even way more songs of substance from so many artists.

Even the love songs are written in a way where adults can enjoy them too and not just appealing to teenagers. It's probably the reason why Kpop isn't that popular in Korea with people in their 20s or older. It seems like those people are more interested in western pop.

13. Storm_Bloom

Storm_Bloom Super Rookie

You made some great points but are you forgetting Kpop or the idol industry aren't for that? It's meant to sell so
    what they do best is cater to what is more appealing which is "visuals".

If you want substance try to check out k-indie,K-R&B etc. There's plenty of that.

14. KRZO

KRZO Super Rookie

Nearly all those songs were big songs that sold and were on radio all the time. I mean western pop has already proven for decades that songs with substance sell and it's the biggest music market in the history of the world.

Western market songs dominate the world and have wider appeal overall because they're more diverse, original, and better written. Kpop is a more teenage focused version of western pop we all know this.

Why do you think so many older koreans listen to western music over K-pop. Kpop is niche market even in S.Korea.

Korea can have better written and more original and diverse music that appeals to a broader audience and it will sell too. I mean look at how well slow ballads sell in Korea ? and artists like IU ? clearly it can be done.

15. Storm_Bloom

Storm_Bloom Super Rookie

why are you comparing two industries here?

The Kpop/idol industy are doing just fine.

And I don't see your point about "western pop has already proven that songs have substance yada yada11!1" when
    most I heard on radio are songs about sex, drugs and partying.

You know what? what would be better? the West should open up more and accepting towards Asians. ​

16. KRZO

KRZO Super Rookie

Yes, it would be great if the western market had more Asians. I'm all for more diversity and underrepresented groups. More Asians, more middle easterners, more native americans, and whatever else.

There's plenty of underground/indie asian artists and Kpop fans always scream racism and representation but I haven't heard really anybody on here regularly support the Asian americans trying to break through. Who do you support regularly or push hard for in a big way amongst all the Asian-American artists stateside trying to make it ? How can the west be more accepting of Asian artists trying to be big in America if the fans aren't even supporting the ones trying to make it over there ?

and I'm comparing the two industries because well that's what the thread is about isn't it ? Isn't this the western entertainment sub forum and didn't you post a thread comparing the two ? Then I replied on topic and you asked more questions and I answered and the conversation naturally went here. I don't understand why all of sudden you're questioning the comparison ?

It's okay for you to say you want more of something in western pop but not for someone to say they want more of something in Kpop ?

Also this whole cliche false narrative that gets repeated over and over about Western music being nothing but sex, party, and drugs while Kpop is so different needs to stop because it's not accurate.

Kpop is filled with over sexualized dances and lyrics. I see more sexual things in mainstream Kpop than I do western mainstream pop.

Almost none of the songs I mentioned are full of sex, party , or drugs and I could name ALOT more mainstream top songs from the past 5,10, 15 years or whenever that do very little with sex, party , or drugs.

Taylor Swift, Adele, Justin Bieber, Shawn Mendes, Charlie Puth, Ed Sheeran, Camilla Cabello, Alessia Cara, J.Cole, Sam smith and the list goes on and on of artists who are as clean or even cleaner than Kpop artists when it comes to sex and barely talk about drugs either.

17. Storm_Bloom

Storm_Bloom Super Rookie

girl The thread just ask...

Do you miss Actual Choreography and Performance on Mainstream?

I don't even know why are we talking about substance, diversity and
    all that in the first place when I only ask such simple question.

There is no comparison here either., smh.

You seems more into looking in a deeper perspective. I didn't
    made this thread for that.

#17 Storm_Bloom, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  18. KRZO

KRZO Super Rookie

Right and I answered that and gave another related opinion which YOU were curious and asked more about.

You can't ask me to elaborate on something and then when you don't like where that convo ends up later on ask me why I went there like you didn't ask me to explain more about it.

I mean who asked you about more asians in the western market or if western music was too sexualized ? No body, you went there yourself which I don't mind but you can't lecture people about strictly talking about ONLY one thing when you participated in taking the subject to other places until you didn't like what you read.

19. Storm_Bloom

Storm_Bloom Super Rookie

your the one who started and bought up the topics of substance and diversity here

but okay..

[​IMG]

20. KRZO

KRZO Super Rookie

Right and you went along with it and wanted to talk about it obviously. So why is it a problem NOW all of a sudden ?

and if talking about different but related things is a problem why did you start talking about asians in the west or over sexualized music ?

like you don't see the irony in what you're saying ?