Do you have a favourite film director of all time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Blaenavon9, Jul 7, 2019.

1. NIKKIEF

NIKKIEF ❖︎ ᴠᴏɪᴅ ❖︎

My favorite from him is Night on Earth and It’s even my most favorite movie ever ))

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  2. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Yeah, me lately. Idk I probably have like 9-10 books like that now :sweatr:

Lol at me in grade 9 thinking Miike was a genius...

3. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

I haven't watched that one yet..just Mystery Train , dead man and the one with Tom Hiddleston

NIKKIEF likes this.
  4. NIKKIEF

NIKKIEF ❖︎ ᴠᴏɪᴅ ❖︎

Only lovers left alive? It was soo beautiful, especially last scene. And i love Tilda there too))

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  5. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

It looked greatttt but I'm not a huge fan of Hiddleston's acting but the movie itself was sweet, a bit like midnight in Paris

NIKKIEF likes this.
  6. _Healer

_Healer Newbie

slaying dragons
    I guess I don't have an absolute favourite director but I have found that throughout the years, I have simply developed profound appreciation for various directors and their respective styles and approaches to film making.

Sam Raimi - most people mainly know him because of Evil Dead and the Spider-Man trilogy but with the latter specifically, I can see that making those films was a passion project and that he cared about the source material while infusing his own vision. I think that's why the trilogy (minus the 3rd one thanks to studio interference) turned out so brilliantly. They are great films that happen to be about a superhero which contrasts with the current wave of superhero films, which are fun and enjoyable for what they are, but pale in comparison.

Christopher Nolan - most people in this thread have already pointed out why he's a great director. I have only seen a few of his films unfortunately but I appreciate that he also infuses his own vision as he did with the Dark Knight trilogy.

Park Chan Wook - another director who has an overall passion for film making in general and it shows in his films with the attention to detail, characterisation and plot. Oldboy is also, hands-down, one of the best films ever.

Baz Luhrmann - mainly like him due to his unique visual representation in his films. You can argue that it may be shallow or pointless in some instances but I feel there is nothing wrong in having some purely aesthetic sequences especially if its for exposition of locations/environments.

Peter Jackson - not too familiar with his early slasher work but the Lord of The Rings trilogy are among my favourite films of all time. The way he was able to envision and bring to life Middle Earth was impressive, even if fans of the books might argue otherwise. Still he accomplished something a fantasy director should.

Zhang Yimou - incredible use of colour, which paired with the cinematography results in a visual feast. I also like his focus on historical China and martial arts as an art form, which is how I see it anyway.

Luca Guadagnino - a more recent addition to the list. After watching Call Me By Your Name, I fell in love with his directing style! natural and allows for immersion and connection to real life. I will need to watch the remainder of his unofficial trilogy and other works to fully understand his approach(es) but absolutely loved that film.

Kim Ki Duk - personal life may not be too great but I enjoy his films for their odd yet charming style, e.g. lack of dialogue, interesting cinematography and characters. My personal favourites are 3-Iron and The Bow.

there are others but this list is already too long lol