Do you have a favourite film director of all time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Blaenavon9, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

2. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

3. kyutiemir22

kyutiemir22 Arya and Gendrys 3rd Wheel
    Moderator .

Christopher Nolan
    we talked about it before lol but I just really like how smart his movies are
    some view them as pretentious but I just think he really gets immersed into his movies and cares deeply about every detail and it shows it really shows
    his movies are great, imo not one bad movie.

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  4. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Hes not bad...his characters are really well fleshed out

5. kyutiemir22

Moderator .

They are
    The Dark Knight, The Prestige, and Insomnia are my favorite character plot focused movies from him

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  6. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Insomnia is a frigging masterpiece tbh I won't deny and so is dark knight

kyutiemir22 likes this.
  7. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    Directors for me. Probably more because I always can't decide on one thing that stands above everything may it be films, games, books, etc. On the other hand, some directors I like are exceptionally good at the genre they are known for but I can't see them directing something that isn't within their wheelhouse.

Wes Anderson - I love his sense of balance and his use of colors. His wide angle shots, man. Works of art. You know each shot has been meticulously thought out. I also love how anachronistic some of his films are. I have a hunch, the director(s) of some of Red Velvet's MV are fans of Wes Anderson (i.e. Russian Roulette, Power Up, Ice Cream Cake to a lesser degree, etc.)
    See: The Grand Budapest Hotel, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Royal Tenenbaums

David Lynch - It would be very pretentious of me to say that I get all his films but you can't deny his work is certainly unique - good and bad. Even Dune. Twin Peaks blew my mind. It was probably my first foray to New Weird/Magic Realism genre. I credit Twin Peaks, along with Neil Gaiman's Sandman, X-Files, and Millennium for me getting into genre films and TV shows.
    See: Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive

Edgar Wright - I know nerds love him but to the general audience, the dude's grossly underrated. If anything, his films are very re-watchable. I love his kinetic style quick cuts. It's not jarring or over stays its welcome and it adds to the overall tone of his films. Tangentially related, I remember back in the 90s and early 00s when directors try to mimic Quentin Tarantino to varying degrees of success (and my annoyance).
    See: The Cornetto Trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, World's End), Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

David Cronenberg
    - He is known mostly for body horror which I'm not a big fan of however he also made M. Butterfly (critics don't like it, I do), A History of Violence, and Eastern Promises which felt sincere and heartfelt to me in a Cronenbergian way of course as they are still films with heavy topics but there's something slick about the way he approached to directing these films. A certain je nai se quois.
    See: Videodrome, The Fly, A History of Violence, Eastern Promises

Lino Brocka - A local director. I lament the state of our local film industry where corny romcoms, comedies that rely on slapstick and vacuous dialogues, anemic and uninspired horror and drama rule the roost and the inventive and against-the-grain films are relegated to the indie scene. I'm not saying this out of haughtiness or to look down at the current generation of moviegoers but most don't know what they are missing from this masterful director. His movies, even the most commercial ones, always has something to say. I missed his earlier works as those are before my time and the local channels rarely show them anymore if at all but for those that I have seen, I have grown to respect his work as I age and have a deeper understanding of his films.
    See: Weighed but Found Wanting, Orapronobis, Manila in the Claws of Light

Christopher Nolan - His movies are challenging. He had the unenviable task of rebooting Batman, made a film about multi-layered dreaming that mainstream audience would somehow like and understand, and tackle hard science fiction that would still make money in the box office. I like that he's taking material that's usually not mainstream-audience friendly and make it work somehow.
    See: Memento, The Dark Knight, Inception

A few, newer (newish?) directors that I'm contemplating on adding to my list. A few reasons I'm not adding them yet is that I only have seen a scant few of their work (but I'm still impressed with their output) and/or I'm still of two minds if those said works are really great and would stand the test of time.

Denis Villenueve - Sicario, Prisoners, Blade Runner 2049
    Mike Flanagan - The Haunting of Hill House, Oculus, Hush
    Ben Affleck - Gone Baby Gone, The Town, Argo
    Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead - Resolution, Spring, The Endless

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  8. kyutiemir22

Moderator .

Mike Flanagan is really becoming one of my favorites and I'm excited to see what he does with Doctor Sleep later this year~
    Ari Aster and him are really improving the horror genre~

Blaenavon9 and StCatMouse like this.
  9. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Lynch is one of my favourites too - i actually began my flm addiction career with Eraserhead... it was so weird yet fascinating, yet with time I started detesting Lynch...ofc I had not watched his other films yet. I was stupid ofc.. my respect for him actually increase when I saw videos of him directing....he's the softest director to ever exist he never scolds anyone and has so much patience and is a perfectionist..if a take isn't according to his taste he never loses his cool with the actors but will do a 100 takes each time painstakingly explaining what he wants the scene to be and never being angry. Unlike say Kubrick who is a jerk

Edgar Wright is very funny. Irl has funny too, and so is his father (watch Edgar Wright criterion collection picks)

Anderson is so quirky I love him. Actually both Anderson's are cool tho

Cronenberg is a genius. I fucking love Videodrome and Eastern Promises. The fly too, I loved the metamorphosis of brundlefly...and the ending is super sad...I still don't understand how somebody can go from making smth like fly, crash or scanners to smth like eastern promises-_-

As for Vileneuve, I'm super surprised u did not mention Arrival... one of the best movies this entire decade. I don't really like his other movies thaaaat much but adore arrival, it is such a meaningful and beautiful film - it is kind of perfect

10. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    Lynch is not a diva (as far as I know, who knows how he really is in his personal life away from the crew and the camera) . Heck, if you look at his filmography he shot a lot of commercials even after making a name for himself in Hollywood. The commercials are standard-fare Lynchian weirdness, sure, but he never thought doing commercials was below him. I may not always get his movies but he seems really passionate about his craft. I can kinda give Kubrick a pass for not being the nicest person (again with the caveat that I don't know these people in real life). I know that's a terrible thing to say considering the stuff he did on set to Shelley Duvall in the Shining but from an artistic standpoint, he was a perfectionist and his body of work is remarkable. In his case, I can separate the person from the art but yeah, he's a a major dick. I wouldn't be surprised if Kubrick is alive right now, there would be several people accusing him of something.

Cronenberg kind of eased up on the body horror genre for the last 10 years or so. After Eastern Promises, he did A Dangerous Method, then Cosmopolis (not his best but still woefully underrated) and Map to the Stars if I have my chronology correct.

Arrival's a great film no two ways about it but personally, I liked the three movies I listed more. It's an arbitrary selection anyway. It's like choosing between a cheeseburger and a pizza, either way it's great.

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  11. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

I love 2001 so much but that Duvall thing really piss me off so much that was straight up bullying no 2 days about it

Do you like Gaspar Noe btw??

12. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    I know you love Noe but (I'm sorry :D) he's a hit or miss for me. He's a visual director and I love that. I love the odd choices he makes for his shots, the use of colors, and how chaotic scenes can be but still make sense. From his filmography, I like Irreversible and Enter the Void the best, I think those were his smartest films to date. I Stand Alone would be my third pick. Love didn't do anything for me and I'm not sure about Climax. It's not bad but I don't know, I guess I'm ambiguous about it. Not in the same level as Love but I had no takeaway from it after watching.
    Hard to discuss or watch Noe's films with family though :D

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  13. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Actually enter the void is my least favorite Noe film :p it's too long and after about 45 mins gets boring...my ranking of his films goes like this

I stand alone
    Irreversible
    Climax
    Love
    Enter the Void

Like u said he's a visual director and I LOVESSSS IT, he appeals to your senses directly, I love that all his movies feel like a rush of smth, and I also love his application of the color red.

For some reason I love directors and movies who overuse red - Noe, lynch, Wong kar wai (actually he uses yellow and green more tho), Dario argento and even the shining

I thought while watching it climax ain't that good the way it's playing out so simply, but I my the end I felt completely moved and had no complaints so I love it now....i was also surprised it is so much tamer than his other projects so I miss the epicness. Now love I appreciated only AFTER I finished watching it..while watching it I was like ok ok ok so? and then? And then it hit me in the end, the MC's position , the girl and what must have happened to her, probably nothing good.... I liked it a lot later but I would not watch Love again.

How did you get into films tho?? And rather a random question do you like Lawrence of Arabia?

14. NIKKIEF

NIKKIEF ❖︎ ᴠᴏɪᴅ ❖︎

Jim Jarmusch- He has ability to capture beauties

Blaenavon9 and StCatMouse like this.
  15. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    I've never seen Lawrence of Arabia in full. I've seen bits and pieces throughout the years but I have never sat down and watch it in its entirety. This is probably heresy and an unpopular opinion but I'm not a fan of that era's films. I'm already disconnected as it's before my time and then the dialogue affectations sound not genuine to me. Then the pacing back then is more deliberate which I do like especially in horror films but not in everything. Nothing inherently wrong but not for me.

As far as getting into films, I guess it was just a natural progression as I age. I have always been a visual kind of person. Even today I ply my profession as a freelance illustrator and I could trace that from my love of cartoons and comic books back in the 80s. That fondness for animation gradually broaden into love for films especially with stuff that blows up, people shooting each other and monsters! :D I think the turning point for me was the mid to late 90s with TV shows like Twin Peaks, X-Files, Millennium, and films like Se7en, Reservoir Dogs, Fight Club, Jacob's Ladder, The Matrix, and Memento. It cemented my love for genre films and TV shows. Neil Gaiman's seminal work with Vertigo's Sandman blew my mind with what storytelling could be. From then on, I guess it just grew and grew. I sought out film podcasts, non-Hollywood movies especially the thriller and horror kind, and lists of great films from the internet and seek those out as well.

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  16. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

I do love Mystery Train :lover1:

NIKKIEF likes this.
  17. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

The 90s was a good decade for films. My second favorite decade right after the 70s and early 2000s..I loved that people experimented so much then.
    me, well I've always been a reader...I used to devour books until I discovered movies. I don't think I would properly be able to appreciate films without seeing my former love for literature through..I think the first genre I extensively watched was mafia films - Scorsese, Copolla, Brian de Palma - all the east side directors ..that was probably what sparked my love for cinema although I had previously watched a bunch of art films by Lynch, Lars von Trier, Takashi Miike etc....i was primarily in it just for the weirdness of it. Although now I appreciate all those art films and directors a lot more and I've essentially grown out of mafia films tbvh.

18. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

By the way I love Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago they're such enduring classics and so visually gorgeous like dreams .

I also love Wim wenders
    Wings of Desire just became my favourite movie a few days earlier. Paris Texas is sweet too

19. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    Wish I could find the time and really get back to reading regularly. I've resorted to audio books and digital for practicality but I miss the crisp smell of an actual book. Even with digital, I'd have to pause whatever I'm doing to read especially for comic books which I have tons of in my backlog (I don't even want to think of how much money I have poured into my hobbies. I just convince myself they are research materials). I have developed a bad habit of reading the first few chapters then stopping for one reason or another then forgetting the story up to that point and would re-read it from the start again then pausing then...
    Trier's another hit or miss for me, dude's sometimes too full of himself and it shows in his work, while Miike's sensibilities is sometimes too icky for me especially his more guro-centric films (while I'm a horror fan I'm not big on gore). Having said that, the dude's a machine. His output is mind-blowing. There are years when he release two or three movies in the same year.
    The last crime film I enjoyed was New World. I think Jung-jae Lee was awesome in that.

#19 StCatMouse, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Blaenavon9 likes this.
  20. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    I learned of Wings of Desire thru U2's Stay (Faraway, So Close) MV back in the early 90s (not a U2 fan but Zooropa was a damn good album, maybe second to Joshua Tree in my ignorant opinion). It's weird seeing a young Bruno Ganz when most of the film I saw him in, he's already a man of a certain age.

#20 StCatMouse, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Blaenavon9 likes this.