Do you believe in gender roles ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Saitama, Aug 24, 2016.

?

Is gender a social construct ?

1. Yes

17.6%
  2. No

5.9%
  3. Yes along with race, age and everything else, everything is a social construct

11.8%
  4. Yes that's why women sports etc exists, gender is totally made up and wrong

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, only a gender studies and other useless student would say that

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sex no, gender yes

17.6%
  7. If I had one nostril for every gender, I would hae two nostrils

17.6%
  8. Yes everyone who says otherwise is a retard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Stop being so intoooleeerant, we gotttaaaa acceeepttt eaccchh ottttheeer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I like science when it doesn't contradict my views

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. It doesn't matter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. LGBT LGBT LGBT LGBT !!!!!!!

11.8%
  13. Shut the fuck up

11.8%
  14. Kinda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. I'm so triggered

5.9%
  1. Saitama

Saitama Newbie

Currency:
    Hero
    Men are strong
    Women are weak
    Men can't listening
    Women talk the whole day
    Boys like football
    Girls like playing with dolls and love pink

Most people have certain beliefs or imaginations which behaviour types are normal or stereotypical for men and women are characteristic
    We can also find this kind of stereotypes and prejudices (?) in our daily life they influence our way of interacting are reasons for discriminations etc
    For example men who like pink are considered as girly and gay (?) or decide to work in a "typical" woman job are ridiculed ?
    So do you think the "typical" behaviours of women and men are biological ? We are born with them and can't change that or do you think it's the way how we are raised up ? Or something else ?
    Gender roles are guidelines how men and women should be
    Who doesn't fit into this kind of image gets discriminated or must change him or herself etc (?)
    Gender roles also changed through the time nowadays gender roles are much more different than they were years ago

Do gender roles exist for you ?
    Or not ?
    Should we act like them ?
    Are they good or negative ?
    Are men and women even different for you ?

Other opinions ?

Share your thoughts
    Discuss

LovelySerenity likes this.
  2. masayume_chasing

masayume_chasing Celebrity

Currency:
    KPOP
    LOL at that poll!
    I'm too lazy to discuss right now so - voting number three.

3. Galaxy_Angel

Galaxy_Angel Newbie

Currency:
    i think its good if you balance it
    men are usually stronger than women - fact
    i think ppl are somewhat biologically this way due to the obvious difference with our chemical patterns between men and women but obviously it differs from each person
    most boys (that i know like sports) or sitting in drawing i also think all stereotypes are good as long as you dont write someone off because of that. because it leaves room for learning about other ppl (humans are programmed to associate things like tattoos to gangs sagging pants to gays or thugs as well as dreads) thats how we survived by staying away from potential danger by association

4. DZico

DZico Trendsetter

Currency:
    I believe that both women and men are equal in rights but we are not same in roles in life .

#4 DZico, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    LovelySerenity likes this.
  5. findtheakarun

findtheakarun Super Rookie

Currency:
    Professional Sassybish
    Sure, they exist. And they can have a negative affect on people's lives. But we currently live in a society (at least in most countries) where it's completely legal to go against them, usually without much repercussion. If you think your gender rolls are stopping you from achieving your dreams, unless you genuinely live somewhere where it's illegal to do what you want to do, I'd suggest getting out from under your Tumblr and stop making excuses.

6. its_zo

its_zo Rookie

Currency:
    Sittin' on the internet
    Gender and race are definitely social constructs.

I don't believe that gender roles should be followed at all if you don't want to follow them, but because they are social constructs, the particular society and culture that you grow up in will affect how you as an individual might be expected to fulfil certain roles assigned to the gender that you belong to.

Also, sex and gender are definitely not the same thing.

7. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    At some point, the effort to legislate or force equality, becomes ludicrous and has very negative effects. Case in point....the US military. Women, through long efforts at pressure on the executive branch, are now given the opportunity to enter front line combat service. Ok, equal opportunity cannon fodder. But here is the problem.....women cannot pass the physical fitness tests that the men have had to pass for years. Most if not all fail, consistently. To accomodate, they simply lowered the standards so women could pass. Cheated, lowered the bar, brought the entire class down to a lower level. End result, lowered standards and weaker men. The physical standards of the US military will be weaker in the future because women insisted that they should be allowed to perform the same tasks as men.....but they couldn't.

There are differences....physically, mentally, and emotionally. Men and Women are built different, period, and that's a good thing. It's insanity to try to force out that difference.

8. neoncolors_0

neoncolors_0 Newbie

Currency:
    NEWFLASH stereotypes exist for a reason. Someone didn't just pull an observation out of their ass one day and had huge populations following through with it.

With that said, I believe gender roles are EVOLVING, and for the better in terms of equality. And no, I don't believe people should be discriminated against for their differences, but I also don't believe we should lie to ourselves and say they don't exist. It's about managing and accepting our differences in a world where we are unfortunately condemned by them.

O_o_Cheese likes this.
  9. AandyVale

AandyVale Super Rookie

Currency:
    No gender roles are such bullshit and they should never exsisted.

10. bonbonfairy

bonbonfairy Public Figure

Currency:
    i'm the quintessential girl stereotype and i think it's all just stupid, everything... societal rules and roles are all stupid and so are we, life doesn't make sense and everything is weird. : )

Draft saved Draft deleted