DO YOU BELIEVE IN GENDER ROLES ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Saitama, Mar 18, 2016.

?

Do you believe in gender roles ?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

68.4%
  3. To a certain extent

31.6%
  1. Saitama

Saitama Newbie

Currency:
    Hero
    Men are strong
    Women are weak
    Men can't listening
    Women talk the whole day
    Boys like football
    Girls like playing with dolls and love pink

Most people have certain beliefs or imaginations which behaviour types are normal or stereotypical for men and women are characteristic
    We can also find this kind of stereotypes and prejudices (?) in our daily life they influence our way of interacting are reasons for discriminations etc
    For example men who like pink are considered as girly and gay (?) or decide to work in a "typical" woman job are ridiculed ?
    So do you think the "typical" behaviours of women and men are biological ? We are born with them and can't change that or do you think it's the way how we are raised up ? Or something else ?
    Gender roles are guidelines how men and women should be
    Who doesn't fit into this kind of image gets discriminated or must change him or herself etc (?)
    Gender roles also changed through the time nowadays gender roles are much more different than they were years ago

Do gender roles exist for you ?
    Or not ?
    Should we act like them ?
    Are they good or negative ?
    Are men and women even different for you ?

Other opinions ?

Share your thoughts
    Discuss

2. Aoki91

Aoki91 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Eating
    Gender roles is just 1 of the many things that's holding humans back from evolving.

3. Lemondolly

Lemondolly Rookie

Currency:
    Chicken Wing
    I feel like gender roles do exist.
    A woman can do a man's job, but a man can't really do a woman's job- not because he is unable to, but because society looks at him differently if he does. For instance, a woman can be an receptionist, a cashier at a womens' fashion store, a plumber. But will society look a man the same if he does those same jobs? Maybe a receptionist is okay, a plumber is fine, but a cashier at a womens' fashion store.... a lot of people assume men in these jobs are homosexual...
    But our gender differences are taught to us as a norm in early adolescence. If you think about it, adults tend to talk to girls differently than they talk to boys. We, generally, are more gentler towards females than we are males. We teach girls it's okay to be weak while for boys, that's something they need to avoid being. It's okay to cry. It's okay to play with dolls and wear dresses. But if you're a boy, nope. Nope.
    Just a month ago my mom and I were at the Disney store and a little boy was looking at a dress and he mom pulled the boy's hand away from the dress and said,"That's for girls!"
    Society teaches gender roles and perpetuates it... so it's kinda difficult to deny that gender roles are there, especially when it's part of culture, as well.

Liliad, ilovekpop909 and xwhisperx like this.
  4. mocochang

mocochang Celebrity

Currency:
    EXILE TRIBE trash ♥
    Well, there are biological differences between men and women are simply there and we have to accept, men and women will never be the same. But regarding gender roles created by society and cultural ways, I believe we should try to understand why they are there and how can we overcome them. Why can't a guy like pink? Why can't a girl play with cars and action figures? Why can't a guy show his emotions? Why can't a girl be though and strong?
    There are so many things that we pretty much grow learning and that are hard to change, ways we are teached we should act given our gender since we were born, but I believe we should keep working towards overcoming them. We'll never be able to change them all, but so much has changed over the centuries, and even over the last few years some of these things have changed a lot, and we should keep working on that little by little.

An example I live everyday: I'm a girl, a computer science student and a programmer. The whole university course there have always been very few girls and a lot of guys in classes. I've taken classes where there were like 50 guys and me as the only girl (there are usually around 0~3 girls per class, it has always been that way ever since I started the course). At work, I'm the only girl in a team of 40-something programmers, and it has always been like that on other places I've worked as well. It doesn't really bother me at all to be around guys all the time, I'm pretty used to it by now, but it's impossible not to notice the reality that women are obviously a minority on this area I work, just as I know there are other areas where men are the minority, and the reason for those are purely cultural. But things are changing, slowly, but they are, and I hope it keeps changing and stereotypes keep being broken.

ilovekpop909 likes this.
  5. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Currency:
    Why you are always asking questions without answering them yourself? :rolleyes: Is it psychological or social study that you are doing or just for your entertainment I wonder.

In the topic, yes they exist, I think they are mostly bad and restricting. Everyone is individual and should be able to express themselves without someone going: "you can't act like that or like that cause your opposite gender does so you can't!" It doesn't make lot of sense.

6. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    I think they're tasty.

[​IMG]

7. Lemondolly

Lemondolly Rookie

Currency:
    Chicken Wing
    They are questions that are kinda food for thought :)

Draft saved Draft deleted