disney's mulan actress supports hong kong police

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by lilacs, Aug 15, 2019.

1. lilacs

lilacs Rookie

people have started the hashtag #boycottmulan after the chinese-american actress publicised her views

it must be nice for her to enjoy the freedom and democracy she gets to experience in america whilst shitting on the hong kongese who are fighting for their livelihood.

2. BlingingJams

BlingingJams Leader

Honestly this is a great question
    The Hong Kong Situation is truly heartbreaking...

Also good to know! Wasn't planning on watching it anyway. No Mushu/Li Sheng, no life.

topsyoxy likes this.
  3. sandybee3

sandybee3 Super Rookie

With all these celebrities supporting the HK police i'm asking myself if they are fully aware what's going on in HK. I know China is good in propaganda videos and easily control the internet.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the the news that airs in China shows the HK people as the ones being problematic and the HK police as the ones being the victims, i as i read somehwere in many areas in HK the internet isn't working. It's highly possible that we westerners see whats going on but not really those who are currently in china being bombered with chinese media who are probably manipulating the news.

oxymorac likes this.
  4. topsyoxy

topsyoxy Super Rookie

Loveless°
    This is all so depressing. A whole country protesting for their incidence in hopes to not be oppressed, by a country that literal has interment camps for Muslims. The movie isn't going to be boycotted, it's mostly aimed towards Chinese people even though they're not too excited about it. Also, Mulan is a Chinese story and 1 billion vs <10mil, but it still sucks.

BTScrackAnon likes this.
  5. topsyoxy

topsyoxy Super Rookie

Loveless°
    if you're talking about kpop idols, South Korea's internet is working and they do allow VPNs and some idols are currently touring in japan and the US right now(?) they must know. I saw the news about it on CNN, youtube, vox, Ozy, and more.

BTScrackAnon likes this.
  6. lilacs

lilacs Rookie

i have no doubt in my mind that the news in the mainland is very different to what the rest of the world is receiving. so for a lot of chinese celebrities i'm not surprised that they support china, however i still can't personally support them because of that even if it's not what they would chose to do had they known the truth.

7. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    Twitter boycotting wouldn't work as most Disney films are controversy and critics-proof because of the brand and marketing. The general audience probably doesn't even know nor care about the issue as they're going to watch it for the spectacle if nothing else. I bet even some of the people behind the hashtag would still see it with their families. Disney PR would probably handle damage control and a tighter grip with the messaging. They do have the option of removing her as changing actors and actresses in production is not unheard of and it has happened in the past but I guess we'll see.
    Still not fully on board with the cancel X pervading social media.