did BTS Us success make it easier for black pink?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by JeHanna, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Merpedy

Merpedy Public Figure

Currency:
    PSY put kpop on the map for the majority of the world.
    BTS marketing strats and fan power is how they came anywhere close to America. I doubt BP would have that chance if YG couldn't observe how that happened and re-use the strategy, and of course the fans.

2. Teudungi21

Teudungi21 Idol

Currency:
    To a certain extent yes they have but not nearly to the extent that some fans of BTS think. People take it as a zero some game either BTS is the sole reason for Kpop in America or that they had nothing to do with it. So again yes to an extent but do I think that if BTS didn't exist that Kpop wouldn't spread into America...no. I also think people tend to over estimate just how much BTS has spread into American pop culture but also they it deserves to be noted that they have achieved more than others before them.

3. ForgottenSoul

Currency:
    Made it easier sure but they didnt pave the way.. Gen 2 and PSY did, im just saying big bang and 2ne1 were doing interviews in America CF's etc..

Im not saying they did nothing they did something but not pave the way.

kwonjiyong92 likes this.
  4. mpfc

mpfc Idol

Currency:
    the public care more about bts than care about your faves, firstly because they not even know them….
    planned to debut-they did not..you talk like if those groups achieved something , they tried, they didnt, what part dont you understand?

Olivia_Winata likes this.
  5. Uni909

Uni909 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Guardian of the WJSN system
    I don't want BP to become mainstream popular in the US.
    Metal was considered a strong niche genre some years ago, but when groups like Bring Me The Horizon, Bullet for My Valentine or Asking Alexandria changing their heavy style to more pop-oriented sound, more non-metal heads flocked to them. But they never got big as Justin Bieber, Beyonce etc.
    That's where I want KPOP to go, a similar route like metal: Having a strong niche that can attract a wider audience than fans, but still not stepping over to worldwide mainstream level.

#25 Uni909, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    jasque likes this.
  6. ForgottenSoul

Currency:
    You act like what BTS did is something special or new? Groups like 1d Had the same thing.. BTS did not do something revolutionary, YG is not using that strategy at all though?

7. AYUMOMAN

AYUMOMAN Rookie

Currency:
    In recent years? PSY had his hit 6 years ago.
    Ive never seen a kpop group have this kind of popularity in the US before

Olivia_Winata and DangerousLo like this.
  8. jimeous

jimeous Leader

Currency:
    If you are using that logic, then Wondergirls made it easier for all of them including Psy as WGs put Kpop on the map in America through Music, not fans.

9. LadyS

LadyS Leader

Currency:
    Yes bts paved the way in America

Olivia_Winata likes this.
  10. ForgottenSoul

Currency:
    Cool a group didnt but PSY had way bigger popularity and boosted KPOP way more.

Congrats BTS are more popular then my faves in America im so hurt ..

KPOP was already spreading slowly into America before BTS but sure.

smity_werben likes this.
  11. Merpedy

Merpedy Public Figure

Currency:
    The memories

Old or special or whatever, they seem to have come further than most other artists (other than PSY) before them. Knowing that you're a BP stan and the only thing you're holding onto is the fact that other people have been and done that before makes me think that arguing or having a reasonable debate with you is near-impossible.

12. Young_Seoulhyun

Currency:
    ARMY
    True. Psy was popular way before BTS and probably the first Kpop artist i've ever listened to. I feel like PSY paved the way for BTS and now BTS are sweeping it down for BlackPink.

sequana likes this.
  13. ForgottenSoul

Currency:
    Disagree but w/e i think even if BTS did not exist BP would still be popular. YG groups always did better in America then anyone else and if YG focused in that market with them could have done things.

smity_werben and Juliabuhuhu like this.
  14. cassexotic

cassexotic Rookie

Currency:
    • Before BP's MV dropped, many Blinks anticipated they would succeed because of the BTS hype.. So Blinks aren't denying it and neither should we.
    • Last year or earlier this year, Armys received insider news that many companies in the US were looking for other popular kpop groups to compete with BTS. And Exo was the group they tried contacting. I'm not sure whether we may see more of that later this year.. But its no surprise that with BP's comeback, people have begun contacting them, as well.
    • BTS' success made people realize many things. It is part of the reason why even political parties have started analysing BTS' success what with the creation of a task force and what not.
    • Don't forget, YG even personally followed a BTS and EXO fan account. So I wouldn't be surprised if he did take notes about every little thing that the fans discussed about.
    • Also most of what Armys plan, is all on twitter and is pretty easy to dig out. It doesn't get any easier than this because they even have dedicated fan accounts who do performance analysis', and other strategic plans..They really do discuss these things way too openly.
    • Also YG probably didn't have to do everything. It could have been the fans all along. Like think of it this way.. It still surprises me that BTS' own sub group of fans (Army/Blinks) would be the ones who would try to overthrow BTS' achievements in such a short span of time, rather than their rival's fans. I get that you can support a comeback, but to come for your own group's achievements? Like who does that? o_O

#34 cassexotic, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Olivia_Winata, DangerousLo and jasque like this.
  15. steph_ch

steph_ch Public Figure

Currency:
    I feel like your tongue would fall out of your mouth if you were ever to compliment Bts without undermining them. It's undeniable that they opened doors, I feel like you just want everybody to credit other groups and not Bts. Bts have made a resurgence of the interest in kpop, if you want to credit people getting into kpop in 2018 due to the achievements made by previous groups in 2012 and back then sure go ahead. I'm sure they sparked an interest in kpop in 2012 and before, I know that it did for me. But at the current age? It's Bts that is leading.

16. Teudungi21

Teudungi21 Idol

Currency:
    Yes..... but it would be foolish to think that it doesn't help at all that BTS has been in the national spotlight. Just like it is foolish when BTS fans dont acknowledge that other groups before them helped BTS. Its not taking away anything from BP to say that they got some help from BTS, even if its not as much as other think.

17. mpfc

mpfc Idol

Currency:
    are you comparing a western group with an asian group? really? reallyy???
    bts are the ones that are breaking prejudices against asians in u.s market. 1D didnot have to fight against that..seriously...

18. Zehila

Zehila Leader

Currency:
    Psy didn't place kpop on the map. He placed himself. And you didn't see that many groups trying to crossover after him. because he went viral. Lately you see a few acts trying the market and the industry overall is going to test it from now on. The acts you mentioned before had close to no impact. Analysts mention two big moments and unforgettable moments for kpop as of today : Psy wave and BTS wave. Kpop acts charted randomly on BB stops there.

19. katahtattat

Currency:
    sure bts helped. the groups that toured and found some success in the west before made it easier for bts. It's how this stuff always works

20. ForgottenSoul

Currency:
    its BP and BTS leading.. Blackpink get huge views as well i suppose that is due to BTS as well right?