Deep anime recommendations?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by CallMeSunmi, May 23, 2019.

1. CallMeSunmi

CallMeSunmi Trainee

Currency:
    I'm looking for anime that have kinda deep, darker, existential messages to them but at the same time aren't annoying about it, I'm basically just looking for an anime that seems simple at first but then does a 360 and then pulls mercilessly at your heartstrings and makes you question your entire life:D

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  2. Yseki

Yseki Diesel

Currency:
    Being Cute
    Made in Abyss?

ChoIzanami, CallMeSunmi and mcflxrry like this.
  3. Vyuna

Vyuna
    Moderator . .

Currency:
    Psycho pass?
    Madoka Magica ? - an a bit different magical girl anime

4. Narumaki66

Narumaki66 Public Figure

Currency:
    I GOT YOU ON THIS ONE! Attack on Titan, you maybe think it's about killing Titans, but it's not. It's about racism, repression, revolution,philosophy & psychology slavery, hypocrisy, justice, freedom, and has tons of real life inspirations and easter eggs. The manga is easily the best work of art the past 20 years had to offer, Attack on Titan talks about what really is important in life, if killing human beings to save other people is truly the right thing to do and many many more philosophical and psychological questions are being raised. Let me give you some quotes from the Attack on Titan Manga; "I've been thinking every day since coming here, how did things turn out this way. Ruined minds and bodies, people with no freedom left. People, who have even lost themselves. What kind of person would want to go to war if they knew they were going to end up like this ? But there was something there.. all along, pushing us right into hell. For most of us, that something is not our own free will, we are forced to by others or by our environment. Thats why the people who push themselves into hell, see a different hell than the rest of us. They also see something beyond the hell, maybe it's hope, maybe it's yet another hell. I don't know which it is. The only people who do know, are the ones who keep moving forward." This quote changed my entire life, because it is just so true.

5. katahtattat

Currency:
    Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

CallMeSunmi and mcflxrry like this.
  6. mcflxrry

mcflxrry Super Rookie

Currency:
    your best bet are mahou shoujo madoka magica and made in abyss i guess, since you're trying to search for ones that subverts your expectation instead of ones that are deep from the start.

no_nonsense and CallMeSunmi like this.
  7. CallMeSunmi

CallMeSunmi Trainee

Currency:
    I just finished watching the first 2 episodes, not gonna lie I got kinda bored since nothing really happened so I watched ep13 and sweet Jesus my heart just broke, now I need to watch the other 10 episodes

Can't believe I legit cried about a character I only knew for 10 minutes tho:waterr::waterr::waterr::waterr:

Yseki likes this.
  8. CallMeSunmi

CallMeSunmi Trainee

Currency:
    I'm actually a hardcore Madoka Magica fanboy and I loved the Rebellion movie and all I have to say is: HOMURA DID NOTHING WRONG SHE'S THE TRUE HERO OF THE SERIES!!!

LOL anyway I think I'll give Psycho Pass a try, but I'm kinda worried that the series seems bit long, 33 episodes...:oops:

Vyuna likes this.
  9. CallMeSunmi

CallMeSunmi Trainee

Currency:
    I'm a huge AOT fan and I've just recently caught up with the manga (Haven't read the earlier chapters only the ones where Season 3 of the anime ends, basically I started reading from "Return To Shinganshina arc") but it needs to be said that Eren is one of the worst characters I've ever seen, like literally everyone else in the entire series is pretty cool even the characters that are only there to be killed off tend to be amazing, but Eren is really lacking the most, like he seems to be so bland compared to everyone else, he has some good moments but Jesus Christ are they few (All his fights with Reiner are my favourite moments cuz he starts to show real motive at those times). I think it was a really good idea to tell the story from different characters perspectives because if the series only followed Eren, I don't know if I could love it as much as I do now

Also Ymir, Hange, Sasha and Connie are the best characters in the series and no one can convince me otherwise

And personal quotes I loved is from Armin in the earlier episodes:
    "You're only resorting to physical abuse because you can't prove that I'm wrong.”

And the one from Eren's Mom:
    "He doesn't need to become great. Why would he have to be better than everyone else? "He's already great, because he was born into this world"

This one really resonates with me which is really ironic because I want Eren to be better written than the other characters LOL:D

Narumaki66 likes this.
  10. CallMeSunmi

CallMeSunmi Trainee

Currency:
    I don't think it's just the subversion aspect that I'm really looking for (even tho that's pretty much what I said in my original post LOL) but rather I don't like most anime that are deep from the start, mainly because many don't execute it properly, like the worst ones I can think of is Earth Girl Arjuna or Samurai 7 where IMO the execution was kinda bad and stale but at the same time I think if an anime is deep / dark from to jump like Elfen Lied, Bakemonogatari but the execution is done in a kinda light way, I can really enjoy it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that most that start off deep / heavy have a tendency to try too hard to stay on that level which causes them to be boring IMO

IDK if what I just said made any sense tho LOL:D

mcflxrry likes this.
  11. ekser

ekser Rookie

Currency:
    I was about to say madoka magica but you've already seen it
    Black Butler:Book of Circus is awesome but I think you'd have to watch a bit of 1st season as well for it to be fully enjoyable( don't watch 2nd season at all i think none of it is canon and like half of 1st is)
    Shinsekai Yori as well, you might like it and it fits the requirements as far as I can remember

12. possiblymad

possiblymad Trendsetter

Currency:
    Monster, one the best mangas in the world and people say the anime is very faithful
    Psycho Pass
    Perfect Blue (it's a movie but it's a japanese animation)
    Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (it is extremely well written)

no_nonsense, vaahiny and Narumaki66 like this.
  13. vaahiny

vaahiny Trendsetter

Currency:
    eating ants
    Perfect blue and any anime by satoshi kon, each of them has a very interresting theme and gorgeous animation, perfect blue tells the story of a young idol and her psychological torture trying to grasp her identity

no_nonsense, Blaenavon9 and mcflxrry like this.
  14. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 A-List

Currency:
    Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Arjuna, Monster etc are quite good.

I could recommend plenty of manga though, idk that many anime.

no_nonsense likes this.
  15. ChoIzanami

ChoIzanami Newbie

Currency:
    Student
    I recommend Angel Beats!, although it's likely you've already seen it.
    I cried so hard at the end q.q
    Also I enjoyed Erased (Boku Dake ga inai machi). It had some moments where I was going "Not expected to see that in an anime."
    And I would also recommend Steins;Gate. I haven't actually finished it myself because I'm too busy, but my brother highly recommended it to me and he never recommended a bad anime to me. Told me to watch Made in Abyss and Madoka Magica and I loved both.
    (He wrote me a really funny list with all the anime he's seen and if they are good or trash xD)

16. kween_eunbi

kween_eunbi Newbie

Currency:
    • Shinsekai yori
    • Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight
    • Yurikuma Arashi
    • Madoka Magica
    • Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai
    • Kono Oto Tomare!
    • Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de aru
    • Kokoro Connect
    • Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (manga)
    • Metamorphosis (manga)
    • Angel Beats
    • Gakkougurashi! (manga)
    • Full Moon o Sagashite (manga)
    • Kiznaiver
    Bolded are ones I highly recommend for this. Madoka Magica I recommend too, but people have already said it multiple times.

SHOUJO KAGEKI REVUE STARLIGHT
    SHINSEKAI YORI
    FULL MOON O SAGASHITE

top 3 recommendations

no_nonsense likes this.
  17. Polskie

Polskie Super Rookie

Currency:
    Sesshomaru's Ass Wiper
    Berserk
    Claymore
    Monster
    Historie
    Grey
    Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

no_nonsense likes this.
  18. no_nonsense

no_nonsense Newbie

Currency:
    Lol! I was thinking up examples, but I see that other posters have a lot of them already covered :D

If it's about existential questions and deep, these are the ones I'm thinking of (I'll bold the ones that haven't been mentioned yet):
    Shinsekai Yori, Serial Experiments Lain, Psycho Pass, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Made in Abyss, Voices of a Distant Star, Gunbuster, Ghost In The Shell (series + anime movies), Paprika, .hack//SIGN, Steins;Gate

If it's about grimdark and and tugging at your emotions:
    Berserk, Monster, Claymore, Noir, Planetarian, Yakusoku no Neverland, Attack on Titan, Blood+, Gantz

I don't know about these ones, but they had some elements of despair, darkness and made me think:
    Ajin, Rewrite, D.Gray-Man, Legend of Korra, Avatar: Airbender, School-Live!, Sidonia no Kishi (1st season), Sword Art Online (1st season)

kween_eunbi likes this.
  19. akznzn

akznzn Newbie

Currency:
    A dude who is a Flover
    Ergo Proxy
    Mononoke
    Serial experiments lain