Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Dating scandals.

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by annoyed, Mar 18, 2018.

1. annoyed

annoyed Artist

One thing i noticed in kpop is that they promote the idols/groups as boys you can have a chance with and who'll always be available for you and everything sweet that you need in a man. And the moment those idols start dating everyone start acting like they just committed the biggest crime ever in human history, they even call it a "dating scandal" when it shouldn't even be a scandal.

Comparing it to the west, popular boybands might end up dating even tho they also kind of promote themselves as that boy who has a crush on u(their fan) and you might have a chance to date them. But when they start dating it doesn't get looked at as a scandal, things just gets heated between fans and the members' gf, but it somehow stops after a month. Even 2 members of 1D had girlfriends before and while they blew up and it still didn't affect their careers.

I think the industry should stop promoting idols like this because it does nothing but invite those immature fans who think they're gonna marry their bias. And it also somehow gives the public an excuse to hate on the idol for some reason. I feel like people(mostly k fandoms) forget idols are also humans with feeling, they're gonna date people too.

jimeous, bobbimbap, Val123 and 5 others like this.
  2. Yabie

Yabie Star

well the more obsessed fans are, the more stuff they gonna buy from them.

kpop is not about music only, its about selling visuals and fanservice. a whole package.
    companies would lose alot of money if they stopped selling the "image" and not just music. why do you think there are 10+ members these days?

they will always prefer crazy fangirls over gp, because they can milk peaks of one group and then move on to another one once they get older.

maybe if digitals start getting paid better, things would change a bit.
    but since theres barely any profit from digitals, its always better to aim for physicals and fangirls.

thirst2real and annoyed like this.
  3. magicalqueen

in my opinion, when you work as an idol, people don't think you as a human :D :D

Chaittra and annoyed like this.
  4. annoyed

annoyed Artist

You have point there

5. seungriseyo

if you create a group mostly thinking of looks and cuteness and not about music then this is the result
    very few idols are recognized for their music

annoyed likes this.
  6. SleeplessNight

SleeplessNight Entertainer

Yeah. I’ve never really understood dating scandals. Why is dating someone so bad? Idols are people too and they have a right to be romantically involved with other people. They have lives too.

7. Karla

Karla Artist

Do Kpop groups actually have dating bans in their contracts that they’ve signed?

8. BeckywithDgdhat

BeckywithDgdhat Super Rookie

tbh, even though it would be nice to not have those immature fans that think they legit have a chance with their idols, the way they promote idols as though they are infact available is probably one of the reasons why they have one of the world's most loyal fanbase. if they were to allow the idols to date openly, I'm pretty sure that the fans won't be as loyal.
    it's a double edged sword, it's both a good and a bad thing

9. Yabie

Yabie Star

yeah apparently some of them do have.

jimeous likes this.
  10. jimeous

jimeous Star

Yep you are right...

The Idol System is based on young, single, good looking boys and girls, that's how every single one of them got into their Idol Company, i-fans are deluded to even think it's based on talent.

No, that's illegal in South Korea, rather Companies have it as general policy but it's something they can't force.

JYPE's policy is no dating for the first 3 years but JYPark mentioned on a Variety Show that it was pointless because no-one listened to it :p

annoyed likes this.
  11. drakan

drakan Artist

the market provides what the consumer wants. Fangirls aren't spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on merchandise (posters, concert tickets, etc.) because of their music.

12. WhippedForCookie

They obviously won't stop promoting that idol free and cute image since it's giving them money. Period.
    Besides crazy fangirls are much more dedicated and will do anything for their faves. It's like they would do everything to make happy these they truly like, spending money on them included. Why? Because that will make my oppa love me more or notice me at least. And those girls couldn't think that way if their fav idol would date someone else. He couldn't love me because he loves someone already. Yet since he's single fans can be wholy dedicated to him and love him with all their heart and believe he loves them just as much. It's kinda platonic or sick one-sided love yet companies by creating that sweet, caring and single idol image aren't doing anything to resolve problem.
    I don't really know why companies assumed their idols should act like their fan's boyfriend material. Maybe that's because Koreans and Japanese as well are really possesive and prefer to think if someone is popular then he belongs to everyone so they can all share. He can't belong to only one person, he can't have family because then they couldn't believe he belongs to fans... or something like that.
    And then if something like dating between two idols happens, they are crying and feeling betrayed as if their idol cheated on them with someone who's more pretty and famous than them.
    Oh. And there's also that thing with shippers. They are so dedicated to their ship (mostly it's ship between group members) some of them think they are really going out even tho it's nothing more that fanservice. So when one of them is starting to date female idol they are angry and so they will bash new couple. I remember the case when Baekhyun started dating Taeyeon. Chanbaek shippers got so mad it was insane! From theories about Baekyeon being fake to bashing the girl and making her cry. There's much more really.
    What I wrote is kinda chaotic...