Creating An Idol Group?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by qurischaus, Aug 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. qurischaus

qurischaus Super Rookie

Currency:
    Alright, so imagine you have everything you think you could need to create an idol group (minus the idols), how would you answer the following? (There's a lot of questions, whoops)
    1. Boy/Girl Group. Why?
    2. Concept? (Cute, Edgy™, something new?)
    3. How many members?
    4. How would you promote them?
    5. Would you stick to traditional training or create your own new way?
    6. What'd be your main priority? (Talent, Looks, Personality, Loyalty to Fans/each other, etc?)
    This is the sister thread, in spirit, to my "Groups with Terrible Management" thread.

jimeous, Sayjay13 and deathlymuse like this.
  2. melipolino

melipolino Public Figure

Currency:
    1. Boy Group - they are more likely to survive a scandal and not be shamed into nonexistence by the public

2. Concept would be edgy/fierce/experimental

3. 5 members, they are not too many that people will need too long to remember names/faces, yet they can still build nice dance formations

4. I would promote them with the help of social media/popular you tubers. I would make a collar with one or two youtubers and invite them to accompany the training process. This way the group and members will be known beforehand without having to go through a survival show.

5. I would definitely not train them in the traditional way that puts them in a position where they have to neglect school or sleep. I would build a boarding school where everything is close by and they can get training classes after school. Would also be better for building a bond between members and filtering out people who mean trouble.

6. Main priority would be Talent and personality. And one person who brings the looks that will hard-carry the group muhahaha

It’s 1am right now and I just put way too much thought into this haha

3. BlackpinkslaysYG

BlackpinkslaysYG Super Rookie

Currency:
    1. Boy/Girl Group. Why? Girlgroup, i was bg stan before(bb,bts,got7&ikon) but then blackpink came in too my life and ggs get popular faster in my opinion
    2. Concept? (Cute, Edgy™, something new?) girl crush/hiphop/fierce
    3. How many members? 5, not too much the members would get closer ect.
    4. How would you promote them? 2 comebacks every year, many variety shows, music shows
    5. Would you stick to traditional training or create your own new way?hell nooo, i would take only talented trainnee's if you are vocalist you have do be above average same with rappers and you can always learn dancing i would not waste their time if you are not enough then you will not get accepted, i would divide the trainee's into groups and debut the better one and probably have a private school in my company so my artists are educated.
    6. What'd be your main priority? (Talent, Looks, Personality, Loyalty to Fans/each other, etc?) everything but mostly talent and personalitys and the loyalty is a most.

#3 BlackpinkslaysYG, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    qurischaus likes this.
  4. qurischaus

qurischaus Super Rookie

Currency:
    You put the best amount of though into this great job ah :omgr:
    I agree with you, there's less risk in taking on a boy group, they tend to get away easier from scandals. Edgy and fierce, I like, I'm curious about the experimental bit though. Like what does experimental quantify as for you?
    I'm all about seven member groups. A bit much to remember at first, but no end to shenanigans and dynamics between members.
    Your promotion idea is really good! Social media is probably the best way to get a group out there before people are sold on their music.
    I would love it if idols had your training. That's a perfect world right there, good idea.
    I think I'd go talent and loyalty. Even a someone with a brick for a personality can learn interesting conversation topics, but loyalty isn't really teachable. At least not as easily.
    I really like reading your responses, thanks for replying :excitedr:

More power to you, I feel like girl groups are harder to start up and to gain traction, so it seems like a rough road.
    Blackpink-esque, yess :D
    Five seems to be the "perfect" number, I'm still fond of larger groups, whoops
    You would be a favorite, blessing fans with all the content they need haha
    Seems like your approach to training could cause some friction between all the trainees, maybe some back relationships, but if done right, that might work quite well.
    Talent is always good, personality helps, loyalty is my favorite if only because it shows in the longrun. Good choices :yesr:

melipolino likes this.
  5. ExoPlanet_VIP

ExoPlanet_VIP Newbie

Currency:
    1.Personally I would choose to debut a girl group with around four or five members as it makes everything much more easier, especially lyric distribution as it's always unfair when it comes to much larger groups.
    2.As for concept I think a hip hop girl group would be a bigger hit if they were too debut now as hip hop has a stable base and such group would be able to achieve a lot more.
    3.As for members, like I said, I think keeping members up to a maximum of five would do it.
    4.Promoting wouldn't be too hard if you have the right contacts. Like managing to get the group onto a higher rated show or having them solo collab with other artists. (Like how YG did with Jennie and GD - Black and That XX / Rose - Without you and much more) Getting them the recognition they deserve and rather than having them perform on the street you rather have them gain popularity through media and television as they would have a wider audience. Furthermore Music shows would be a must as that is where a fan base could be built with a strong center.
    5.To be honest I think sticking with traditional training is a good idea as many groups have achieved so much from just vocal training, dancing etc but adding in your own way would also make this better and more fresh however. Although getting training from actual well known and bit artists would help a lot as it would allow the group to know what sort of style to use, how to act, what not to do, what to do and rather than if coming from a trainer it's better when it comes from experience.
    6.Talent is a must for a main priority and no matter how harsh this is going to sound so do looks as that is what it's mostly about nowadays-especially in Korea as Netz are more critical when it comes to appearance though personally as long as the group has talent and are loyal and passionate then I don't really see what is stopping them from reaching to the top.

qurischaus likes this.
  6. qurischaus

qurischaus Super Rookie

Currency:
    • Ah, lyric distribution is important, it's always shitty for both fans an idols when someone's excluded.
    • Hip hop for girl groups does seem to be the way to go. For most groups, in some aspect, in general, actually. Following the trend tends to be a good idea if you don't want to take a chance on making it.
    • I actually like street performances, though it would be nice if they were a luxury rather than a necessity. There is something to be said for busking though, it's just enjoyable to watch, to me at least. I do agree that it's less practical though, widespread media is the way to go. I'd actually want to avoid music shows after awhile (though that could be a terrible idea) just because of how controlled they are by some companies. It seems like it gets gross behind the scenes.
    • I agree with you on the training completely. There are changes that can be made and things to be improved but, technically, nothing's broken. Adjustments are fine but nothing needs to be fixed terribly bad aside from, perhaps, a bit more transparency.
    • I AGREE SO HARD. It's not harsh, looks are important as hell. Moreso for girl groups. It's just what it is. Talent is great, looks and talent are ideal; idols are kind of meant to be pretty, shiny personalities that drag you in by your wallet. The rest is all luck from there; I think a group you managed would have a great shot at getting somewhere good. :yesr:

ExoPlanet_VIP likes this.
  7. Person24

Person24 Leader

Currency:
    A thing
    1. Boy/Girl Group. Why? Girl group. Boy group would get flak for copying or plagiarising. Although I'm a BG Stan and boys are easier to market I wanna experiment
    2. Concept? (Cute, Edgy™, something new?) I would start them of with a girl crush concept till they have a hit song then I would continually experiment with them. BTW they will be heavily involved in the writing process I want them to be artists as well as idols
    3. How many members? Seven
    4. How would you promote them? I would advertise their predebut by posting covers(both dance and song) it would show off the members talents before they debut to give them a following. When they debut I would constantly send them to variety and radio shows so people would get an idea of their personalities
    5. Would you stick to traditional training or create your own new way?I wanna try my own way but if that fails I'll try the traditional
    6. What'd be your main priority? (Talent, Looks, Personality, Loyalty to Fans/each other, etc?) Talent is a must every member has something about them. Looks is minimal but a bonus. I wont force them to do surgery unless they want it. Their personality is up to them, I won't force them to hide their personality or have a image. They won't do aeygo unless they want to. They will be grown enough to control what they do and say. Loyalty to fans, they have to love their fans who got them to where they are also if they wanna date sure. Just know boundaries and what is best for your career so don't get pregnant, lol

#7 Person24, Aug 16, 2017
    qurischaus likes this.
  8. Sayjay13

Sayjay13 Trainee

Currency:
    If I made a group. . . I would. . . SHOWER them with love and resources!!!!! :cryingr::angryr::cryingr::cryingr: *cries* *sobs* *breathes deeply*

ExoPlanet_VIP and qurischaus like this.
  9. qurischaus

qurischaus Super Rookie

Currency:
    augh same, we've reminisced on too many injustices lately :waterr::waterr:

Sayjay13 likes this.
  10. Happylittlepunk

Currency:
    College student
    1. Girl group because I believe kpop needs more edgier girl groups other than cute concept. Plus I want to create an international dominate girl group.

2. Concept: experimental, girl crush/bad ass, sexy, edgy. Their first 2 years will have cute concept however combine with a Lolita image think of Britney spears baby one more time and oops I did it again.

3. 5 members their is really no need more than that.

4. I would promote them heavily on social media with visually appealing photos of them on Instagram to create Buzz appeal to both I and k netz, fan interactions and heavy activity using YouTube the members themselves will control their YouTube channel where they post dance covers and song covers as well personal youtube videos and will treat the channel as a regular youtube channel will they csn posts anything they want like cooking, dance practices, fan interactions, video blogs, chat videos, and the youtube channel will have all videos of variety appearances during promotions they will be allowed to appear on other youtube channels as well and v live for korean fans and to appeal to international fans, reddit to appeal to the fanboy underground scene (often overlooked but extremely active and massive social media site).
    Twitter to use interact more with fans internationally and in korea.

This is a visual focus group so Instagram, YouTube, and v live will be highly active.

Reddit and Twitter will be used minimumally.

Majority of promo is heavily c.f. focus and some acting. Mostly clothing, and beauty products.

Exclusive reality tv show similar to bts bonvoyage or just a reality show in general on mnet.

During promotions for their comebacks they will constantly promote with music show performances more. I want them to have a mysterious concept so they will mostly only do magazine interviews, and minimum video interviews. A lot of variety show appearances, and heavy international promo by appearing in music shows or talk shows to perform and appear in kpop festivals as well. The main focus is the music.

5. Main focus: talent, visuals, music.

They are will be famous mostly for their daring and edgy dance performances and crazy special effects and stage props. Visually appealing

A lot of cfs on clothing companies and dominate in magazine covers. I want them to keep that mystery concept as a group to be very crucial.

Member 1: rosa( lead vocalist, lead dancer, musician, songwriter, producer, choreagrapher and outspoken leader)

Member 2: Amy ( main dancer, sub vocalist, main rapper, visual of the group, actress, choreographer, variety star, aegyo star, model)

Member 3: Christina ( main vocalists, sub dancer, songwriter, aegyo star, actress, variety star, visual of the group, model)

Member 4: stefani( main vocalists, songwriter, producer, sub dancer, musician, video director, photographer).

Member 5: ivy ( lead vocalists, main dancer, choreographer, model, actress, visual)

6. Traditional training.

7. They all will be given great opportunities for solo projects.

8. They are under big hit entertainment. Which is why some members have odd jobs.

9. The main focus of the group is music. Solo projects like variety, acting and modeling is only done to further promote the group itself and won't be the main focus for the members.

However solo music albums ,singles, or collaberations, composing are very welcome for each individual member.

10. Genres: kpop (pop, R&B, EDM, rock, ballads)

11. Group name: Mad House

#10 Happylittlepunk, Aug 16, 2017
    qurischaus likes this.
  11. Happylittlepunk

Currency:
    College student
    This took forever to create lol

qurischaus likes this.
  12. JJBaker

JJBaker Trendsetter

Currency:
    1. Boy/Girl Group. Why? Boy Group as I am a boy and i bias groups more so doing performing arts also feels like got more of a chance with a boy group
    2. Concept? (Cute, Edgy™, something new?) Something new as i'm not from korea I believe the stories for the song will be new to kpop world as I wouldn't hide real world problems from songs
    3. How many members? 7 normally a good group number
    4. How would you promote them? Social media
    5. Would you stick to traditional training or create your own new way? bit of both would keep a lot of similar rules but will be more open to listen to trainees ideas
    6. What'd be your main priority? (Talent, Looks, Personality, Loyalty to Fans/each other, etc?) Talent and looks as unfortunately without both you won't go far

qurischaus likes this.
  13. reveluvs

reveluvs Celebrity

Currency:
    1. Boy/Girl Group. Why? I would kinda want to debut like a co ed group (NOT like kard!) Im thinking like 4 girls and one boy...i think it would do well if its done smartly! Either that or just a boy group.
    2. Concept? (Cute, Edgy™, something new?) Something inbetween cute and edgy. No overly cute bs or cringy try hard edge. I'd like to try more of like a funky retro/90s but still modern vibe! if that makes any sense, I cant really describe what Im picturing. I would want to try different things each comeback...no drastic concept changes but just a bit different musically and visually with each comeback. I want them to be kinda colorful but not like what we usually see in kpop, nothing obnoxious to look at....soft/ realistic yet colorful, focusing on certain aesthetics i guess for mvs and stage presence. I want that mild colorfulness but also deep meanings in their music/ mvs.
    3. How many members? 5..maybe 6 members but probably 5.
    4. How would you promote them? Idk much abt promoting...but I dont want them on that many variety shows. I do want them to do music shows. I want the group to have great interactions with fans. I want the group themselves to vlog, post pics, etc for the fans so its more personal. I'd want them do dance practice and behind the scenes on almost everything. Also for them to do like fun games etc kinda similar to ones they do on variety shows except w/o the annoying hosts and fake personalities.
    5. Would you stick to traditional training or create your own new way? I guess traditional but to an extent! I would be way more leanant on certain things. I mainly want them to not feel too restricted, I want them to be creative and be themselves while still working hard.
    6. What'd be your main priority? (Talent, Looks, Personality, Loyalty to Fans/each other, etc?) A bit of everything but MAIN priority would be talent/ personality. I dont need the group to be powerhouse vocalists but I want each memeber to be very passionate and talented in one area or another. This probably doesnt make sense omg but yeah!

qurischaus likes this.
  14. Skinner17

Skinner17 Public Figure

Currency:
    this is fun

1. Boy group. who am I kidding? I want my money back asap

2.concept : sexy (because it sells) music will be R&B influenced, Funk, maybe some ballad as a filler, baby making song. Dance will have be medium-difficult level because I want my boys to make ladies squirm with their performance.

3.Member : any where from 5-7. the youngest should be 19/20 or anywhere near legal age. I want Bagel boy, Honey voice boy, Boy with Husky voice, Visual prince, Calm & hot daddy, B-boy, Charisma boy.

4.I'll promote them by making reality show like Tadah its BAP. If I dont have enough connection, maybe upload it on my own YT channel. The concept will be unfortunate men who went against all K pop idol standart to make their own group. The script will ask them to play rough, dissing each other, thirsting for ladies (and always failed at that), being miserable fools, and being like any men their age would do.
    At other segment I'll show their daily practice and how they improve their skills and performance.

5. I might recruit them from different companies. Maybe hold audition to look for certain charachter. Training abt 1-2 yr to built teamwork. Variety training is a must, but I'll look for the one who already have interesting charachter

6. My main priority will be to create narrative of bromance between dudes. then Performance should be perfect. And song should be of top quality.

qurischaus likes this.
  15. qurischaus

qurischaus Super Rookie

Currency:
    Boy groups do seem to get accused of copying more frequently. Experiment away!
    The experimentation might lead to fans backing away from them. I've noticed that happening with other groups (ex. Got7) who don't really have a concept/style that's notably theirs.
    Yesss, seven is perfect! (To me, at least :D)
    Widespread media like variety and TV is always a good idea.
    I try not to think about the companies that do push surgery, it's more than a bit messed up. I would say that you might actually want to work on giving them an image; it's less for hiding personality and more because there's a million ways to take a million things wrong. One wrong comment that seems okay to one person could be terrible to three hundred fans and really turn into something big. But that's just how I look at it haha, in the end this is all just a bit of fun :D
    No forced aegyo is a beautiful policy. Sometimes I remember that the idols I watch are like 22-30 and the aegyo goes from funny to, "gosh, I'm sorry you still have to do this."
    All in all though, it sounds like you'd give your group a lot of freedom, which is really nice, I think more people would want to join because of that :D:D

Person24 likes this.
  16. qurischaus

qurischaus Super Rookie

Currency:
    Ahh, I finally have time to get to these sorry it took a bit ; -;

Oh my lord did you put in work. Thank you so much, I love long replies and this is great, let's hop in.
    First of all, YES. Less cute, more badass please. Furthermore, I think you'd reach a wider audience with that so international goals are plausible.
    Going with a cute look for such a long period of time might make fans unwilling to transition with the group into something sexier, but that might not be an issue if you already have sexy vibes like from the Britney songs you mentioned.
    //whispers/ but seven is a beautiful and perfect number. I digress though, five is easier on new fans.
    Social media is always the way to go but it's getting easier and easier to cause problems because of it. How much would you monitor what they post of the channel? Or would you just have guidelines and let them go from there, provided they follow the rules? Amen for going to Reddit, they are overlooked a lot but they are a huge community and often the most involved. Good thinking.
    Twitter is possibly a black hole of terrible things waiting to happen but fans do love to see their idols being sassy on it, so that could be a plus, minimal use does seem like a good idea unless fans really flock to it. Since it's a visual group, insta is a great idea provided they get enough traction.
    CFs are important, I'd like to see more internationally pushed ones. I never saw anything about some of my favorite groups CFs until recently because it just isn't really applicable/seen outside of the country it's for. It'd be nice to see it randomly, rather than looking for it.
    The mysterious concept might backfire, it's extremely frustrating to not be able to hear about the idols directly from them. I like reading little tidbits and such but, at the end of the day, a video will always win out. Assuming they have a lot of popularity though, that might fly.
    Traditional training without any qualifiers, that's the first time I've seen it on this thread so far. It has been proven to work, so good choice.
    You added five things omg haha. I can tell you've thought about this before, you've got it all planned out. Honestly, I would watch a music video by a group called Mad House. The name and the thumbnail are normally what attracts me most, and that's a badass name. You seem like you'd be a level-headed manager with a good idea of where you want to go. They'd be a lucky group to have you
    :D

BGs do accumulate fans faster, makes sense. There's a lot of competition to worry about though.
    Choosing to hit real problems is always iffy. Moreso because you don't know Korea or their culture firsthand. Depending on how it's done, it could either go somewhat well or extremely badly.
    Seven, yes, perfect.
    Working with the trainees is always preferable (to me, at least.) At the end of the day, it is their lives you are molding years of, they should have some say.
    Sad, but true. Looks come first actually, for a lot of fans who were just planning to pass by, and then music. Of course it's the other way around for other but, at the end of the day, talent and looks is what sells.

That could easily get messy, both in the group and with the fans. It feels a bit like a harem concept, so I'd be interested in seeing how that pans out.
    I think I get what you're saying with the concept and dear god yes we need more of that. If you have something that carries through, something familiar that sticks with the group through concept changes, I think fans would be more amenable to changing with you. Especially, if the deeper meanings in the video all connect with each other.
    Five seems to be the favorite number thus far. It's probably the best, actually, despite my proud preference for big groups.
    Going with what works but taking a bit more notice of the fact that your trainees are human. Good approach. I think idols would feel better about being themselves if everything they say/do wasn't strictly monitored. People have to be people sometimes.
    No, I get you. Like if this member is a shit dancer, you at least want them to be solid rapper because you can work on the rest. And so on so forth for the other members as well, right?
    I like your approach as a manager, I think you have room to grow and, depending on how your group goes, you'd grow with them.

Very money oriented. Well, business is business, I can't complain :D
    It's more likely to have a quick return on investment with a BG, but it's also highly likely to drown in the sea of other BGs. Especially if you're going "tried and true" with a sexy concept.
    //whispers/ seven, yes please. more people. always, more people. I highkey love how you named the tropes lol :teeheek:
    Hmm, a reality show is a good idea, gives a little bit of insight to the members for fans. I like the very "just boys being dorks" concept you mentioned, could work well, and I'll touch on that more when I get to number six.
    First I've heard of a minimum training time in this thread. Good idea, it's necessary to work together for a long period of time to really be comfortable. Variety training as well yes, I get hives thinking about trying to be interesting in the way KVariety shows want idols to be. Doing that without training would be hell for anyone.
    Bromance. I was waiting for someone to focus on this. I think that, mixed with a show where they do/don't pass it off as horsing around would be popular. Specifically because you're more likely to get people watching with fanservice, even people who arent kpop fans.
    You've got a very cut and dry approach, a bit like what some companies have got going right now. It's working fine for them, so I'm assuming it'd work well for you too. I think you're group would have fun with the reality show, depending on how much freedom you give them there, and being more able to show themselves off than other groups with more innocent concepts. :yesr:

Skinner17 and JJBaker like this.