Could CUBE have handled the E'Dawn situation worse?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Hopkinz, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Hopkinz

Hopkinz Legend

Currency:
    Promoting all the groups
    Ever since Hyuna revealed that she was dating E'Dawn, everybody has been very frustrated. Korean "fans" are mad because oppa is dating somebody, but most I-fans were happy for his relationship. Cube could have started a positive change in the industry, where dating is more accepted, but no. They have decided to give the toxic "fans" the power and remove him from all their schedules. Because they are so spineless and cater to all the demands of these "fans," Kpop stars dating will always be considered taboo and scandalous. Now, the people who supported his relationship feel that there is an injustice towards E'Dawn because he keeps getting pulled from events. Instead of just saying he will be temporarily suspended from all activities where we would have been mad for a day but eventually moved on, everyday we're getting statements about him being excluded from group activities, so everyday I-fans are reminded of how unfair E'Dawn is getting treated. So now Korean "fans" are unhappy and international fans are unhappy and they're all pointing their fingers at CUBE, and rightfully so.

2. Infire707

Infire707 Married to: Surprise_bitch

Currency:
    CLC and WayV promoter
    Cube fucked this up so bad

And I thought they we're doing good this year but I stand corrected

Stan CLC...

3. Yoohyeon

Yoohyeon Super Rookie

Currency:
    ✰彡
    such a drama over two humans dating.

suiram, CrystyleMeth, shunye and 9 others like this.
  4. SpicyChilis

SpicyChilis Super Rookie

Currency:
    yuta trash
    cube fcked up majorly with this

suiram likes this.
  5. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Super Rookie

Currency:
    I'm going to start by disclaiming that I believe two humans dating (to quote @parkjan) should not be a scandal, and that I'm as annoyed as anyone else by the way E'Dawn is being treated.

But I'm going to give CUBE the slight benefit of the doubt.

As you've pointed out, @Hopkinz, CUBE is only making the situation first by separately announcing E'Dawn's removal from a variety of schedules. It's as if they're rubbing what's happened into everyone's faces, reminding people of the "scandal" instead of letting it die down naturally while also building up I-fan outrage on E'Dawn's behalf.

I don't think that's a calculated move, though -- to me, it reeks of panic. I doubt CUBE would intentionally sabotage one of their artists like that; there's no way they'd make a point out of his continued banishment from schedules. I read this as a company playing things day by day, cancelling schedule after schedule as they realize the issue hasn't been forgotten yet. I think the dating news caught them way off guard -- after all, they denied it in the first place! -- and that they've been stumbling in their attempts to manage it ever since.

I would guess that the attitude within CUBE is "oh, fuck, people are still mad about this? Guess we have to pull E'Dawn from this one too until people get over it..." I think that's a mistaken attitude, and that the daily articles about E'Dawn are only making the situation worse. But I can understand why a panicking company would make this mistake in the first place. Getting slammed by three dating "scandals" in the same day would be tricky for anyone to manage, and CUBE also had to struggle with losing credibility after Hyuna and E'Dawn confirmed their relationship. Again, this has been a shit-show, and I'm not denying that. But I don't think this is malicious, and I think CUBE is trying to "protect their artists" even if they're not doing it well.

I sincerely hope they figure this out and allow E'Dawn and Hyuna to be normal human adults as soon as possible.

freysan, lizvip, Hopkinz and 2 others like this.
  6. kingslaugh

kingslaugh Legend

Currency:
    I don't agree with all of your post

But this I definitely do. Whenever dealing with a bad situation regardless of why it's bad, the worst thing to do is to keep on bringing it up

suiram likes this.
  7. feepit608

feepit608 Celebrity

Currency:
    Go ask MBK. If it was MBK handling this, E'dawn would've been kicked out of the group without him knowing it.

8. dooh

dooh Public Figure

Currency:
    So Cube said: they dont date, and later Hyuna said she is dating E'Dawn. It feels there was zero communication between Cube and Hyuna/E'Dawn.. not only Cube, but also Hyuna/E'Dawn did poorly here.

On the other hand, it should be no problem two people dating right, but they should know how k-fans would react. And how Cube is reacting now, is just weird and ridiclous for me.
    But to be honest, SK is different and i dont know which way is better to react.

I know i repeat myself alot, but i really feel sad :(
    At least Cube needs to get a statement or something, dunno what is going on with them, everybody is silent..

suiram, lizvip and Nebula_Star like this.
  9. QueenMilkShook

QueenMilkShook Public Figure

Currency:
    Actually, I think they handled it pretty well considering. When people say Cube handled it poorly I get so triggered, lol. Everything wo uld've been fine if Hyuna and E'dawn kept quiet. They obviously knew that they had no idea what to do so they were just going to say they weren't dating. Literally this all would've been avoided if Hyuna and E'dawn kept quiet, it's their fault.

Also, in regards to them cancelling E'dawn going to events, I think that's smart too. If he went, he would just get booed and nobody would be focused on Pentagon.

I want to know what it is they handled so badly? They're going against a cultural norm in Korea, I think cancelling a few events is pretty normal. The only thing differently I would do is release a statement, saying either to stop because nothing they do is going to effect anything, or kick E'dawn out. I think that would minimize some of the hate.

I wanna see how we would handle thousands of people wanting E'dawn kicked out of the group. I doubt we'd do any better, tbh. It's just pitiful Korea is so fucked up with their idols that this is all over two people dating. Makes me sick.

10. astraeapop

astraeapop Celebrity

Currency:
    I think Cube has been stupid but I also think they got their legs chopped out from under them by Hyuna and E'Dawn undercutting the company ~damage control the way they did. Not saying that those two are wrong to be in love or even share news of their relationship, but the way it played out has been messy as hell. I also think there's an element of punishment for E'Dawn and if Hyuna was anyone other than Hyuna, she'd be getting this kind of public punishment too. All of it reminds me of the Hyunseung/Beast fiasco (although Hyunseung did admit he was a dick for a while lmao).

I hope it does resolve itself soon. International Pentagon fans who don't care about most of this shouldn't miss out on seeing the whole group because the company's bitter/mad/incompetent etc.

freysan, lizvip and dooh like this.
  11. Im_you_pantseu

Currency:
    yes is cube not making the situation better for idols who are dating, this is only going to make fans want to be more obsessive over there idols. Those insane fans need to get professional help

12. dooh

dooh Public Figure

Currency:
    If thats the case, at least i could understand how Cube reacts in a sense.
    Cube denied it, but Hyuna/E'Dawn telling they date, act of defiance ? Still all so weird and messy.

suiram, lizvip and QueenMilkShook like this.
  13. lizvip

lizvip Icon

Currency:
    Cube is talking care of his investment. In the end of the day most of their schedule is in korea, and the fan club ( basically the majority since was a join request from the majority of he cafe members) are angry. If they keep him on their schedule this fans can boycot the activites of the entire group, which will not be good for the other members and for cube pocket.
    For me what they are doing is the usual what companies do in scandal the fanous "reflecting time".

#13 lizvip, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    freysan and dooh like this.
  14. lizvip

lizvip Icon

Currency:
    Exactly. Cube is probably angry as well, they both make the company seems like lieas, and on top of that they are basically the ones that have to deal with the fans request while trying not to lose money ( since they still did after all tripple H schedule was canceled and the albums sales started to decrease)

#14 lizvip, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    freysan, shunye and dooh like this.
  15. Hopkinz

Hopkinz Legend

Currency:
    Promoting all the groups
    I do agree that Hyuna should have kept quiet, especially since Pentagon are rising rookies and they are promoting in another group together. Literally it is the worst time to announce you're dating somebody. That being said the outrage is ridiculous.

What I would have done differently, like I said in OP is said something like this: "E'Dawn's activities with Pentagon will be temporarily suspended." It can be as vague as they want, they don't need to say how long or why. Just one statement. They'd be bending to toxic Korean fans yes, but one statement is better than this everyday reminder that E'Dawn will not be at XX activity. That's what I would have done differently.

I also may have just said: you know what, these fans are demanding something unreasonable, he's staying. If people booed at him at events, it would suck for Pentagon, but they'd get TONS of international fans supporting them. It would definitely go viral, international fans would support them and even reasonable Korean fans, there might be more than we think (I hope these toxic fans are just a vocal minority). It's kinda like how Gfriend went viral after their fancam of them tripping on stage over and over again. People felt bad for them, admired their perseverance, and now they're a top tier girl group.

Those are two scenarios that make more sense than whatever CUBE is doing now.

dooh and QueenMilkShook like this.
  16. lizvip

lizvip Icon

Currency:
    It remind me when YG denied Minzy had PS and she after it confirmed it... we all know how Minzy and YG working reltionship ended

17. QueenMilkShook

QueenMilkShook Public Figure

Currency:
    I think if they announced an official hiatus, haters would just wait for the hiatus to be over to hate on him again. Cancelling his appearances until the hate dies down I think is smarter because then when he joins it's not an offical "Okay, his hiatus is over" Kind of thing. They do need to release a statement one way of the other though. That's the only thing they've done wrong imo

lizvip likes this.
  18. kinwilliam

kinwilliam Newbie

Currency:
    So none of you was right

Jessica was the first one in 2000
    then Sooyoung and hyoyeon passed the audition in 2000 too
    Yuri pass the audition in 2001
    Yoona pass the saturday open casting audition in 2002
    Seohyun pass the audition in 2003
    Taeyeon won the first place in the SM youth singer competition in 2004
    Tiffany pass the SM starlight casting system later in 2004
    Sunny was the last one to join snsd, she join SM in 2007 after her debut with another group was cancelled