Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Can we stop?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by BarackOkarma, Jun 14, 2018.

1. BarackOkarma

Satan's pet iguana
    Honestly I'm just iffy about people saying Oh I don't stan so and so group because of their fans.

Yeah, because you are supposed to stan a group and not their fans you uncultured swine.

I get it that some fandoms are hella toxic. Shit, my two favorite groups have the most toxic fandoms, but I stan the groups and not the people who stan them.

You can not stan a group, I get it, but when you start hating on a group because of their fans that's just pathetic.

2. MinSybil

MinSybil Trainee

I couldn't agree more. One of my fandoms is really toxic sometimes but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop staning the group.

pleasehelpme likes this.
  3. WhiteWadeWilson

I stan Blackpink but I don't wanna be involved too much with the fandoms cause I stan G-IDLE as well and some Blinks called me liar, fake etc. Who the F cares? I'm still stanning till I fed up with myself

4. soshilovelife

soshilovelife Memorable

Different people, different strokes, and even though you want to make the separation there are fans whose actions to promote their groups are going to rub people the wrong way, and let's not get started on the shitshow called fanwars. Havent you read how many people have kept from checking a group out because of fanwars, "rivalries" and whatnot?

Sure call them out for not being able to appreciate a group because of their fans.

It wont change the fact fans can still annoy the hell out of people and genuinely killed the curiosity a group may create for some.

5. BarackOkarma

Satan's pet iguana
    Yeah, I honestly get that because there are some really disgusting fans who make me question their sanity. But I guess I'm talking about the people who start saying shit like Oh, the so and so group is probably just as shitty as their fans and etc. that's what throws me off.

Like everyone has shitty fans, deal with it. You don't like the group, that's fine, but don't start hating on it just because of the fans

13062013 and soshilovelife like this.
  6. seungriseyo

Not stanning is reasonable. I mean, you keep track of those groups through fansites. You can also choose to only follow fansites who just take photos, post it on their website and have no interaction with other fans whatsoever. buuuuuuuuut, it's nature for people to want to talk to others about things they like, so people want to talk to other fans about that group. If those other fans are annoying as hell, it's ok to give up. At the end of the day it's still just a group of music, you don't have to swallow shit just because you like a few songs.

About hating. Yeah, it's wrong. But most of people only do it when provoked (ie X OUTSOLD Y. Y IS OVER) or when people shove their group down their throats. Just yesterday I was watching a Selena Gomez video (seriously, a Selena Gomez video. What the f*ck does she have to do with kpop?) and I saw a certain kpop fandom trying to make the video about their fav group on the comments section. THIS IS SELENA GOMEZ GOD SHUT UP THIS ISN'T ABOUT X WHAT ARE YOU DOING. That's what I thought at the moment. And when this happens constantly you end up linking those fans to the group so you end up thinking "god get that group out of my face", because when you think of the group you're subconsciously thinking of the fans too.

Seungris_Waffle likes this.
  7. BarackOkarma

Satan's pet iguana
    I feel like the Selena thing is about Army mostly and I honestly feel you to my heart because even if I didn't like Selena Gomez it's hella annoying to have a fandom commenting under a video about irrelevant things.

I'm not saying that you have to stan a group because God damn, there are groups I don't stan too, and some fandoms really go too far. When you look at it, all fandoms have toxic people too. Some less than other but really depends what you stumble upon.

seungriseyo likes this.
  8. GoldenIdun

GoldenIdun Notable

Mochi Bot
    As far as I'm concerned, if everyone stopped stanning groups bc of some loud or shitty kpop stans in their fandoms, there'd be no kpop at all. I think most people don't realize that constantly exposing, generalizing and highlighting a few people being toxic, only increases people's perception of the toxicity, to the point that their perception might be skewed from reality, but it also turns more and more people against each other. Which all in all, just adds more toxicity than if those people were reported and left alone.

I'd say: don't give those people attention, and don't spend time with people that do either. It'll change you, and soon all you see is toxicity, and chances are that will affect you badly and turn you at least somewhat toxic too.

steph_ch and 13062013 like this.
  9. seungriseyo

yes i agree but i mean its what the mind subconsciously does. associating x thing with something that is related. for example when i was a kid i was 100% sure i would name my future son 'ivan' but then i dated a guy named ivan and now the name makes me cringe because i associate it with my ex.

edit: though all fandoms have bad apples thats true but the bigger the fandom although the number of good apples increases it also increases the number of bad apples. if we're talking about bts that's what happens with armys. although im a vip so i feel you. i had to go trough that. exo-ls too. all big fandoms have to deal with that

10. BarackOkarma

Satan's pet iguana
    I hope to hell I won't have a bad experience with any Noah's because I love that name and I don't want my dreams to be crushed

seungriseyo likes this.
  11. BarackOkarma

Satan's pet iguana
    Some extra wise words you have there. I'm a bit turned off by people thinking a whole fandom is toxic but you know, if they think like that, I guess it's better if they don't stan the group. They might still subconciously have a bad connection mentally to the group and the fans no matter how much they like the group.

GoldenIdun likes this.
  12. hahaha019

hahaha019 Newbie

are you an exo-l and an army?

13. BarackOkarma

Satan's pet iguana
    Yup, it's fun getting people to tell me that I'm a fake Army/Exo L because I stan both groups

Kaikat and hahaha019 like this.
  14. hahaha019

hahaha019 Newbie

hahaha i knew it. woah dont listen to them haha they are just being toxic. LOL i think you're already not listening to them

15. legendjekki

legendjekki Public Figure

H.O.T Promoter
    I argree with you. At the end of the day the music and the people in the group matter.

16. Kaikat

Kaikat Public Figure

An army and exol here, I understand you completely, i find these kind of comments ad accusations funny now

17. BLACKPINK

BLACKPINK Rookie

BLINK
    @armys hating on Blackpink

18. xoxoshawol

xoxoshawol Public Figure

Being and EXO-ARMY is not easy.

19. Girl_Crush

Girl_Crush Married to @Vikki

Troll Hunter
    Well you can stan who you want to stan love . But that doesn’t change the fact that it does Happen . Now it doesn’t take a whole fandom to make me not stan a group but a few individuals . For example , my bias group at the moment is twice however during the time I was trying to get into BLACKPINK I saw a few comments from blinks saying how much they hate twice started to resurface. Now usually I will ignore that but as I kept going down this rabbit hole I noticed the majority of the hate was coming from blink fans and sones. To me this was a complete turn off because I was sick and tired of arguing with such trolls. Anyways this brung a whole new view on the fandom ,there for turning me away from BLACKPINK . Now I do listen to Blackpink music but as of now I do not stan. You can say “don’t do this” “don’t do that” but you can never change a person‘s perspective .

20. centen

centen Notable

It's not about whether or not they're really fans of the group -- it's about not wanting to label yourself or associate yourself with something that's seen so negatively.

And if Primadonna basically meant "toxic af" even to fellow Primadonnas, I really wouldn't fault anyone who didn't want to go around calling themselves one.

primazaza likes this.