Byul is outselling GFriend. Just a year ago GFriend had better sales than Mamamoo. What happened?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by acadz, Feb 23, 2020.

1. acadz

acadz Rookie

Currency:
    Both are small company girl group hence the comparison. Less than a year ago, GFriend had a tad better album sales than Mamamoo. But after Mamamoo's last album and now with Byul's solo we can say that they already fell behind. What happened? Was it really because of Queendom? But so far it seems like Mamamoo was the only one that really benefited on that show (AOA already released an album while Bom also released a digital single).

2. bananamilk

bananamilk Idol

Currency:
    I underestimated Moonbyul's power too. She is very popular, but didn't know how much.

Mamamoo was rising anyway, but Queendom certainly helped.

They defy certain expectations for how female idols should behave and many women are drawn to that

3. Serendipity2000

Serendipity2000 Celebrity

Currency:
    The quality of that album was top notch and sold so well, that moonbyul alone could almost rival the sales of a big 3 group like red velvet. Forget gfriend.

All of mamamoo has an incredible amount of talent and potential to go solo, queendom was the platform that got their potential noticed.

astraeapop, rifah-elahi and nebula351 like this.
  4. SooYoung

SooYoung ☾☼♡ SoneLuv ♡☼☽

Currency:
    #1 Reveluv
    The fact that gfriend stay stuck at the same level
    And in contrary ppl start to become bored of them
    While mamamoo keep reaching new fans with their diversity at every comeback give them a big advantage on gfriend

5. SooYoung

SooYoung ☾☼♡ SoneLuv ♡☼☽

Currency:
    #1 Reveluv
    I'm so glad that rocket pu ch could sell almost 10K while being total nugu
    And the fact that so many ppl start to talk about them and notice them because of bouncy just make me hope better results for their next cb

6. soneaddict7

soneaddict7 Celebrity

Currency:
    Professional fangirl
    Moonbyul and Moomoos are quite a loyal fanbase. I always thought Moonbyul had a dedicated akgaes.

astraeapop and nebula351 like this.
  7. ch1ch3

ch1ch3 Newbie

Currency:
    I was surprised about Moonbyun's album sale too.

Mamamoo is that group that has always got great vocal / charisma but their popularity is really blowing up with the recent comeback + Queendom.

As a buddy I have to admit Mamamoo is showing several sides of them aside from just good vocal and they nail it really well - hence the increase in fans / album sales.

While for Gfriend our girls hasn't really been that experimental yet, they got distinctive sound that either people like or don't like, and they pretty much been keeping up with that - so I don't think our fandom has increased that much.

But all in all, 60k + album sale within 3 weeks of release is already an achievement for the girls and our fandom. With each comeback the number always rise up so it's a good sign. I do think its the right time for Gfriend to be more adventurous with their style and sound, and I believe for the next comeback they will release something quite different. Really look forward to the next comebacks :cool:

8. ch1ch3

ch1ch3 Newbie

Currency:
    Also about Queendom, I didn't really follow the after effect but I think the only true winners from the show were Gidle and Mamamoo? Bom, AOA and 2 other groups I think was pretty quite after it. Personally I think Knetizen is craving for something new something different, and Gidle and Mamamoo were able to give them that. Both got good music style and charisma plus that something that really set them apart from other groups.

Haolat and mimi2019 like this.
  9. whipped

whipped Public Figure

Currency:
    I think it’s safe to say moonbyul defied everyone’s expectations including even mamamoo fans lol. I’m very excited to see how much more mamamoo’ll be able to grow in the future bc at this rate it doesn’t look like they’re stopping any time soon :D

10. Elvis12

Elvis12 Super Rookie

Currency:
    idk why people keep asking obvious questions? Gfriend drop relevancy while Moonbyul is still booming. Why people in here fishing for somethings is beyond me.

MIRACOLE likes this.
  11. SunnySun

SunnySun Public Figure

Currency:
    Is true Gfriend lost some fanbase but Moonbyul is selling similar to Mamamoo too, 10k more sales and she's gonna sell as much as her own group, i'm surprised by her sales too, i'm not a fan of MMMO but i do like Moonbyul so i'm not shocked that she has a big individual fanbase.

12. horcruxs007

horcruxs007 Super Rookie

Currency:
    kpop casual listener almost 15 years
    lets wait until crossroad gaon first pls.. im sure this time they cross 100k gaon

afilleraccount and chunchun45 like this.
  13. stan12345

stan12345 Idol

Currency:
    Iirc aren't half of her sales from China? As they tend to be purely Hanteo, so when Gaon comes Gfriend will probably get back on top

The fact that it's this close is pretty cray though

14. Icaro_Ribeiro

Icaro_Ribeiro Leader

Currency:
    Systems Analyst
    Gfriend is doomed to always make the same concept, otherwise their public won't buy it

15. ch1ch3

ch1ch3 Newbie

Currency:
    Damn thats s scary statement. But I don't think the general public is the one buying their album though, it's the fans. And this time I think both GP and Buddy looks ready for Gfriend's new sound.

When Crossroads debut I think it was 7 in Melon, it means the GP still have an interest in Gfriend to check out the song, but it dropped quickly meaning they didn't like the sound despite it being very much Gfriend's signature sound. I think Gfriend still got some interest of the public, they just need to serve a fresher flavour next time.

For fans, well Labyrinth is already proving that majority of fans are ready for a new Gfriend.

chunchun45 likes this.
  16. ch1ch3

ch1ch3 Newbie

Currency:
    Uhm sorry but can you or anyone explain to me what is difference between Gaon vs Hanteo?

Today on Hanteo recorded a total of 61+ albums I think. So how would this number could transfer to 100k on Gaon?

17. ch1ch3

ch1ch3 Newbie

Currency:
    Chill friend, most of the comments here are pretty objective and respectful so I don't think this threat is meant to shade neither Gfriend nor Mamamoo /Moonbyun. I guess some people see Gfriend and Mamamoo in similar sale power - well they were I suppose but Gfriend been dropping behind now I guess.

18. whipped

whipped Public Figure

Currency:
    I thought you made a typo at first but since it doesn’t seem to be so.. her name is moonbyul btw not moonbyun lol :D

19. horcruxs007

horcruxs007 Super Rookie

Currency:
    kpop casual listener almost 15 years
    gaon is total sales shipment to stores worldwide, hanteo is store with only certified hanteo family, hanteo is also part of gaon

Isarah1 and ch1ch3 like this.
  20. ch1ch3

ch1ch3 Newbie

Currency:
    Opps sorry haha