Bulk Buying vs. Bundles

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by phyrelillie, Feb 24, 2020.

?

Is either bulk buying albums or merch bundles okay to do?

1. Only bulk buying is okay.

27.1%
  2. Only merch bundles are okay.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both are okay.

50.0%
  4. Neither are okay (they both inflate sales).

22.9%
  1. phyrelillie

phyrelillie Rookie

Currency:
    fangirl & dreamer
    So I've been seeing people get self-righteously bent out of shape in regards to bundles when it comes to album sales. I personally don't care enough to have a stance for or against bundles, but imo there's nothing really different between bulk album buying and bundles—both are still inflating the "oRgAniC" sales of albums, so I don't get why bulk album buying is seen as okay but merch bundles (which almost everyone, including BTS, SuperM and now Monsta X) are seen as playing dirty.

I remember when I first got into kpop I was surprised to learn what a fansite was and how fansites were using their profits to bulk buy albums to increase sales for the group. There were also extremely wealthy fans who were bulk buying thousands on albums to get higher chances at a fansign.

I'd like to know if you guys see a difference between the two and why you do. What are your reasons for one being okay and the other not being okay?

PLEASE, no shadiness, no arguing, no dragging other groups, no attacking other users. I really just want to have a mature, basic conversation about this without immature toxicity just because someone can't quell the urge to throw off on another group.

#1 phyrelillie, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  2. queenmeiqisfan

queenmeiqisfan Super Rookie

Currency:
    Bulk buying is still buying. Bundles are basically free goods artist have to pay for.

Bundles are desperation. Bulk buying is fandom showing their investment.

Conclusion... the result is similar but from 2 different reasons.

3. Celinegirls

Celinegirls Mingyu is the Most Handsome Man in the World

Currency:
    What is the meaning of merch bundles?

4. worldlove27

Currency:
    Exactly
    Bulk buying you are still paying for the multiple albums you are buying. For merch bundles you are getting a free album, for paying and buying lets say a shirt or pen.

Ciri, kryswithluv, Menean and 13 others like this.
  5. frala19

frala19 Rookie

Currency:
    I literally could not care less about either.

6. HelloSweetie

Currency:
    I wouldn't necessarily call either wrong. I just think they both give an inaccurate picture of an artist's true popularity.

7. rickandroll

rickandroll Trainee

Currency:
    If I wanted to buy 1000 albums to give away as a gift in some raffle or some kind of prize, I don't see a problem with that.
    Now if it's people from the artist's own company going out and buying albums, that's pretty messed up, but at the same time all it does is inflate numbers which are pointless in the end.
    There's too much competition over things like that in K-pop I think, if people like an album they like an album. Saying it sold 10,000 copies or whatever doesn't mean much. At least not to me.

aleeshaskip and phyrelillie like this.
  8. katahtattat

Currency:
    bundles are a tried and true promotional method. bulk buying is done by brainwashed fans that associate their favs success as their own

9. mikls

mikls Trainee

Currency:
    Some bundles are just ridiculous for example you buy socks and get a free album? That shouldn’t even count as an album sale.

10. queenmeiqisfan

queenmeiqisfan Super Rookie

Currency:
    And that's why communism never works. Because people want stuff for free and don't want to put money and work for it. Call it brainwashed but at least they respect artist enough to support them.

11. Tic_tac_toe

Tic_tac_toe Celebrity

Currency:
    I mean you buy 10 albums all 10 of them are sitting on your desk and you go and listen to the song on your phone. For me those albums and the socks is the same thing because physical albums are dead. No one even uses them. And esp not 10 of them.

HelloSweetie likes this.
  12. _Nyx

_Nyx Public Figure

Currency:
    I think they are both fine. Album sales will never be accurate regardless. In my opinion, getting a CD with a ticket is pretty awesome. Especially, if I'm paying over $200 for a ticket. I think people still buy additional albums, even if you get a "free" one. I mean, I do.

There is a difference between the two, but in the end, they both lead to inaccurate album sales. So it doesn't really matter anyway. I mean, people hold fundraisers for the sake of boosting album sales. It's all inaccurate data. In my opinion, if one is labeled "cheating" so is the other.

13. HelloSweetie

Currency:
    Thinking about it, there's not a whole lot of difference these days between bundling and regular album buying anyway. Let's be real. Most fans aren't buying the album for the music. They listen to the songs digitally. They're buying the album for the photo cards, the included collectibles, or just to have the physical as a keepsake. People buy multiple copies just to get different swag, for the chance to get into a fan meet, or just so they can display all the different covers on their shelves. All while never popping that cd into a player once. I don't see how that's any different from bundling. They're both about the merch, not the music and they both state more about the zealousness of the core fans then they do about general popularity.

14. sandybee3 Idol

Currency:
    I don't see a difference in this, both are there to increase sales, but since some feel the need to distinguish everything to make one achievement look better then the other for their ego's you will have people desperately trying to make bundles look bad.

Albums also include free fan merch like posters, photocards etc. Saying that an album got free fan merch is just a marketing strategy, these items are not really ''free'' the album price is still covering the production cost of these ''free'' items.
    These are items are free merch just like posters or photocards etc, just that you can't put into an album cover, so they have to be included seperately, hence bundles .

Even today nobody really listens to CD's, the music is listened to digitally, so even buying the album is just merch.

There is no difference.

15. mikls

mikls Trainee

Currency:
    But you still bought the album with your own money. It was your decision to buy it, so why should people judge you for that? I’m sorry but I can’t see how socks or any other clothes are related with the music.. I even remember when Dj Khaled tried to sell energy drinks with a free album.. that’s just going to far. Atleast BB noticed that. I can accept tour bundles, but clothes and other stuff.. it’s just weird. Also Nielsen doesn’t count an album sale if someone bought more than 4 albums in one transaction.

16. katahtattat

Currency:
    yeah bundles are totally communism
    like how that marxist compaby mcdonalds bundles a toy and a happy meal together

lesyeuxnoirs likes this.
  17. Tic_tac_toe

Tic_tac_toe Celebrity

Currency:
    with physical album too you bought it for the PC and the poster and the photo book that’s what you’re actually buying because literally no one is buying the album for the CD in the digital age. And certainly not 10 of them.

Lots of artists just sell a cd inside a CD case. But that’s not what kpop is about is it.

So for me it’s all the same. One is a sock the other is a poster/PC. As for not “knowing” in both cases the purpose of buying was not the actual music or CD so they’re not very different at all.

18. worldlove27

Currency:
    Same because than you are paying for the music either way

mikls likes this.
  19. sassily

sassily Rookie

Currency:
    you may buy albums for the photobooks not the music, but you ARE paying for music and you're going out of your way to buy it to show support to an artist as buying their music

meanwhile they sell you all kinds of merch and make the opt out option near invisible so you end up buying albums you didn't even want. Or you just go, well it's free, might as well. Not to mention it circumvents all bulk buying restrictions of the charts...one person can't buy more than five (I think) albums to count (in the US), but you can redeem countless album codes and any free albums sent with tour tickets etc also count extra.

if you look at what the availability of physicals has done for K-Pop groups in the US vs what bundles do it's obvious the latter inflates FAR more. You can double your sales with physicals available, but you can sell 10x more all of a sudden with bundles. It's not the same thing.

20. mikls

mikls Trainee

Currency:
    The difference for me is that the album is atleast related to the music. Let’s just agree to disagree.

kiwijoon likes this.