BTS old music

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Luv2manygroups, May 2, 2019.

1. Luv2manygroups

Currency:
    For everyone who likes bts music prior to the ly series explain why exactly don’t you like their new music and what you miss about their old music. I also like their old music more but just want to hear why others prefer it.

2. Narumaki66

Narumaki66 Public Figure

Currency:
    Idk if u can relate but I grew up listening to hip hop. In germany, if someone is really hyped and just wants to make music we call them "hungrig" = hungry. You can just see it in their eyes, they feeling I got when listening to Bulletproof pt.2 or Danger 5-6 years ago was different than when I'm listening to MOTSP or anything really. The last time I was actually really impressed by BTS was RM's Mono. Before that, Sugas mixtape. 2013-2015 was just..hip hop. I really liked it.

#2 Narumaki66, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
  3. strayhoseok

strayhoseok Newbie

Currency:
    full time kevin moon stan
    i enjoy bangtan's old music as much as i enjoy their latest songs so it's not a problem to me but its because bts' old music was more hip hop styled than pop?? i mean, a pattern ive seen in most people who said they don't like their songs now is the fact that they enjoy hip hop more

4. dancingbella23

dancingbella23 Public Figure

Currency:
    Pirate King
    I absolutely loved their old stuff. Especially the HYYN pt 1 pt 2, Wings/YNWA era. Like omg, the SOULS in those music, you can hear them, you can see them!
    The newer music are great too, I do feel they get a bit more and more commercial. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But I think the last title song that I really felt is Fake Love. But I understand why Boy With Luv must happen, they need a radio friendly song.

5. Luv2manygroups

Currency:
    For me I just feel their music before ly series was more magical. For example Blood Sweat and Tears, Spring Day or Boy In Luv all sound different but each song gave me that magical feeling that I don’t exactly feel with their new music except ly tear.

6. nottodaysaten

nottodaysaten Newbie

Currency:
    I think in part it's their push into the Western market. They have been using more Western producers so the sound is less unique and more commercial. You listen to something like Spring Day, Blood Sweat & Tears, Save Me, great songs, they have the same team of writers and producers, classic BTS songs, within 5 seconds you know what song it is, there is nothing like it. With their newest album especially, there is no unique charm, it sounds like any other song on the radio, it's bland, it doesn't seem to have it's own color like their old albums/music used too. I love the members voices, especially Jimins but the auto tune on their recent album was so thick I could hardly hear him clearly and couldn't enjoy the sound of his voice.

7. Bnglo

Bnglo Trendsetter

Currency:
    Most people are blind by nostalgia

#7 Bnglo, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    jellybean7 and Niyupun like this.
  8. KarmaLove

KarmaLove Newbie

Currency:
    Kim Taehyung's Wife
    I'm a fan of both their newer music and older music. It just depends on my mood ig

jellybean7 and Queeeenie like this.
  9. annoyed

annoyed Idol

Currency:
    Save Me literally sounds like Where are U Now by Diplo ft Justin Bieber, while Fire sounds like Turn Down For What, are you ok?

And is there a mainstream western song similar to DNA, Fake Love or Idol? If so can you give us examples?

10. nottodaysaten

nottodaysaten Newbie

Currency:
    Within 5 seconds, you know the song playing is Save Me, the same with Where are U Now. They're not that similar, maybe the drop? I don't find Turn Down For What and Fire similar at all, I don't see where your going by mentioning these songs.

I didn't like Map of the Soul: Persona, Love Yourself: Tear, and Love Yourself: Answer was very hit or miss.You can't tell me you don't hear a difference between, Wings and the Love Yourself series? Their sound has definitely evolved.

The chorus of Boy With Luv is very similar to Charlie Puth's The Way I am. They also used a lot of autotune this album, which is practically used on every song you hear on the radio. There's already Troye Sivans My My My, so I got nothing new with the song. Idol reminded me too much of not today. I liked DNA, didn't care for Fake Love. Make it right and Khalid Better are a bit similar. Airplane pt 2 was obviously Latin infused. It' the trend right now, but still didn't care for the song.

visualkei4402 likes this.
  11. annoyed

annoyed Idol

Currency:
    I tend to find similarities in songs due to personal interest of finding songs sounding similar as a fascinating thing in that case, there is nothing wrong with it lol.

Yes you know 5 seconds in on Save Me that it's the song playing same as BWL, Idol, DNA and Fake Love. But in Save Me's case the drop is similar with Where Are U Now, which that time the sound was also a trend in the west and same thing for BS&T, the song also followed a western trend. I don't know why you guys keep lying to yourselves when trying to describe their current music as "western" compared to their old sound. Their old music which was heavily hiphop/R&&B came from the west, the boys themselves worked with western producers back then too for Dark&Wild, the album was recorded in America. Their main inspiration for the rappers where american rappers.

What is this weird obsession of y'all trying to make kpop as something different as if SM weren't giving people Corbin Bleu's Deal With It as Shinee's comeback single when they released Juliette? Can you guys keep this "i liked this artists before they went mainstream" narrative away from BTS? It's been 2 years now. If you're looking for non western sounding music then you've been following the wrong group since day 1. Support Gfriend and cute sounding music groups, you can't get more Korean sound than that.

FIRST_LIE and Korainism like this.
  12. loomynartychild

Currency:
    I liked it because it wasnt as squeaky (quite literally, their new songs are really fkn squeaky and high pitched nowadays) and more hip hop.

They also somehow felt more authentic. I like songs like Spine Breaker, Jump, Cypher 3, Silver Spoon and Dope - very hip hop oriented songs and their new shit just dosent do it for me at all. I cringe at songs like Fake Love and Mic Drop, I dont like what they do with the vocals (esp with Jimin, i cant listen to him at all in their new songs) and how they sidelined the rap line over a sub par vocal line.

nottodaysaten and dancingbella23 like this.
  13. Bnglo

Bnglo Trendsetter

Currency:
    You also can’t tell me that wings sound anything similar to hyyh or hyyh to dark and wild
    Their music is always evolving they never stick to the same sound or to the same style and that’s what i like about them

jellybean7 likes this.
  14. lilycarrfdsi

lilycarrfdsi Newbie

Currency:
    \I imagine that after this post, a flurry of hate will hit me, but nevertheless I will express my opinion. I think that BTS is complete shit and their music is just violence for the hearing of a normal person. I am not a fan of Korean music, but I heard a few tracks and I liked it, but what bts does- is just shit. The worst thing is that despite their popularity, most of their fans, are children under 15 years old. I tried to listen to their tracks and understand the meaning, but it turned out to be impossible ... I prefer calm Malaysian or Thai music. Try to listen once and you will understand me. The problem is that it’s very difficult to find certified Malaysian music on the Internet and therefore I had to go to pirated sites, but this does not change my attitude to this music. I Download Lagu and I listen to collections during work or before bedtime, because it helps to relax and concentrate on one thought. I hope that my post will not be deleted ... :)

#14 lilycarrfdsi, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  15. kpoop-trashest

kpoop-trashest Super Rookie

Currency:
    I loved their show American Hustle Life mainly because nobody knew who they were. I don't know maybe I just miss chubby Jimin :oops:

16. kpoop-trashest

kpoop-trashest Super Rookie

Currency:
    Boy in Luv was my favourite song when I got into them.

:omgr:

17. jellybean7

jellybean7 Rookie

Currency:
    I take it I'm the only one who actually likes their new music? the only one who likes their songs, regardless of whether it's old or new?

Demon_owl likes this.
  18. vestirse

vestirse Married to @lawyer

Currency:
    stargazing
    Nope. This is not the best forum for BTS appreciation, just FYI

Demon_owl likes this.
  19. kidsgonestray

kidsgonestray Stray Kids
    Review Team

Currency:
    Five Star Michelin
    The producing changed. That’s why, in their older tracks, the track ‘lines’ were less blurrred and oversatured. You can’t hear any dynamic variation with BigHit’s current production style.

They’ve basically smoothened the track out so much, it hard to hear any crisp sounds with dynamic differentiation because everything has the same dynamics. Therefore, the tracks sound lowkey overproduced.

So, basically, anything before Wings’ was totally my style.

I still enjoy their current stuff though, just not as much!

20. jellybean7

jellybean7 Rookie

Currency:
    is it safe to appreciate BTS anywhere on allkpop?

vestirse likes this.