Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

BTS Love Yourself Series – Narrative Explanation + the 22 HYYH notes (beware: possibly triggering)

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by GoldenIdun, Sep 20, 2017.

1. GoldenIdun

GoldenIdun Artist

[​IMG]

Bighit already explained, in press releases, that this was gonna be a storytelling series focused on character development and the Love Yourself message. They dropped multiple hints during the pre-comeback fase, but at the Love Yourself press conference the members further explained the intention and structure of this series.

Here's what we can take away from what they said:
    So there’s gonna be 4 album releases in this Love Yourself series. Besides having their own name, each of them is also labeled with one of the four Chinese characters from the well-known phrase 起承轉結.

We first saw these characters and this phrase appear in the Highlight reels. This phrase is used in Chinese to describe or explain a story’s structure:

起 = Introduction
    承 = Development
    轉 = Twist/Turn of Events/Conflict
    結 = Conclusion

Love Yourself: HER is labelled with the character, meaning within the narrative of this character development story they’re telling, this album’s story arc is chronologically placed after the Introduction, and before the Twist and Conclusion.

As such, the characters (aka BTS) in the HER arc have yet to end up in conflict and find the need, meaning and value in ‘loving yourself’. And we see this clearly from the lyrics.

If we look at the whole album's lyrics chronologically, at first they’re overconfident and boastful in their new-found relationship and happiness, to the point where it almost feels like a false sense of security and a facade. And true enough, the Outro of the album suddenly changes the tune and forebodes the drama and character development that’s to come in the and albums. In the Outro, the lyrics are suddenly insecure and confused. They talk about burying your complexes, personal struggles and insecurities deep inside when you fall for someone, basically hiding your true self behind a mask/façade from the person you love. Thereby foreboding that this is gonna come back to haunt them and most likely ruin their new-found relationship and happiness in the future releases. Further pointing out the importance of loving and accepting yourself, which is what this character development series is all about.

On their own, the individual song lyrics of the album have their own meaning, and are quite clever and beautiful (like the satirical and socio-critical Go Go, the personal Outro, or the humorous and self-insightful Pied Piper), but looking at the overall lyrical thematic structure of the album and how they play into the Love Yourself narrative, is really something else!

Suddenly the Highlight reels and the quotes from each poster starts to make so much more sense, right?

I have personally never seen this type of dedicated storytelling or cross-album narrative before, where each album focuses on only one structural and thematic plot arc, and where story development only takes place with the release of another album. The HYYH series for example, was connected in its thematic 'youth' content, but it didn't include album storytelling (only in the MVs). Let’s see how they execute it, but to me, it sounds like an incredibly unique and creative idea!

As a side note, I think this is why such a beautiful and amazing song like Sea was included as a hidden track. They've even said they knew it was going to be one of the most popular tracks on the album, but they chose not to include it on the official line-up, because it breaks away from the intended thematic narrative of the HER album. It's too somber and depressing. The lyrics talk about insecurities and struggles, which is not a theme that will be explored until the 轉 (Twist) story arc.

For the translation of the 22 HYYH notes, go to this comment. But beware, the content can possibly be a little triggering. Child abuse, suicide and sickness warning!
    [​IMG]
    Disclaimer: No bashing or trolling allowed in this thread.

#1 GoldenIdun, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  2. Somilucent

Somilucent Entertainer

I can't wait for the series. I love this ideal, and this album really have a good message.

Yabie, Alastrina, evee127 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lilac_Ace

Lilac_Ace Artist

You're amazing, I've never thought of that! :omgr::omgr::omgr:
    That's true. Not being able to accept yourself does have a detrimental affects on you. :nervousk:

Yabie, Alastrina, evee127 and 3 others like this.
  4. HarryBJ

HarryBJ Star

Now the highlight reels makes more sense o.o

5. Comfrey

Comfrey Artist

Wow even as an Army some of these things I didn't notice or pick up on...
    I can't wait for BTS to spread more love and give us more quality music :loverr3:

[​IMG]

Yabie, Alastrina, HarryBJ and 3 others like this.
  6. rinah108

rinah108 Artist

i'm looking forward to depressing songs
    this album doesn't fit my personal taste that much :oops:

oceandust, GoldenIdun and Comfrey like this.
  7. RxRedTx

RxRedTx Artist

You broke it down extremely well!! Thank you for putting all the pieces together:giftr:
    I cant wait to see what else they have to show. Skipping the "introduction" and jumping right in does suit the BTS style lol

Alastrina, GoldenIdun and rinah108 like this.
  8. Comfrey

Comfrey Artist

I love the depressing songs, give me another Spring Day KINGS...:confused:

9. Somilucent

Somilucent Entertainer

She is one of those detective army. Who figure everything out.

10. HausofFly

HausofFly Artist

I definitely thought this album was happier and that that was the reason why SEA was hidden
    I also noticed how the outro sets itself up for the big twist
    because they start questioning themselves
    I think that if it is executed brilliantly then this concept series will be a very memorable one
    you did a good job

@bsthendal you wanted to have an idea about the love yourself series and how dna and this album fits into it.This thread is where you need to be :teeheek:

#10 HausofFly, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    veilless, armink, lathrae and 3 others like this.
  11. rinah108

rinah108 Artist

i just want something similar to HYYH, like just ONE song if it's possible :sweatr: i'm bound to that album so much......

12. oceandust

oceandust Artist

thank you for this! i wasn't really that into this album until reading this and now i'm more excited to see how it unfolds

13. rinah108

rinah108 Artist

Hoseok: Girl you fuck me up
    my favorite thing ever

14. Comfrey

Comfrey Artist

Sea and Outro:Her are very similar to that era IMO

veilless, armink, Alastrina and 2 others like this.
  15. GoldenIdun

GoldenIdun Artist

I go by the title Amateur Sleuth
    :merongk:
    No but I read a lot (actually trying to get a BTS book club started lol), and after what they said at the press conference some things just fall into place story-wisely :D
    Sig twins!!!
    :teeheek:

armink, Alastrina, oceandust and 2 others like this.
  16. PopCandy

PopCandy Artist

omg I WAS GONNA MAKE A THREAD LIKE THAT SMH. I guess that's not needed anymore, you explained it pretty well! And yes, I LOVE what they are doing with the narrative so much, it's amazing. Also if anyone comes at you for overthinking things or something like that they are 100% wrong cause bighit is literally talking about this as a type of "marvel cinematic universe" so they are DEFINITELY being very intentional with all this stuff. Not to mention all the fanfic they released with the hyyh notes. Haven't read it yet but I'm wondering how it ties into it.

also lowkey craving mroe depressing songs, my emo soul needs it

17. parchmentandT

parchmentandT Artist

Well said @GoldenIdun !! I thought the progression of the album was expert storytelling.

For those who weren't crazy about the extroverted, confident poppiness of this album... (even thought I LOVE IT),

I'm 95% positive the next album in the series will be much more in the vein of WINGS in terms of doubts, darkness, trials & tribulations.

18. GoldenIdun

GoldenIdun Artist

Hope you didn't start writing it already :)
    Yeah it looks like they're definitely committing to this narrative! I hope they stick with it, cause it's a really good idea!
    I've actually heard the HYYH notes differ between the different versions :eek: can't wait to read them!

I wonder if all ARMYs are secretly emos?
    :teeheek:
    I can enjoy both upbeat and sad, but I definitely prefer sad, which is why Sea is my new favorite song of the year lol!

Alastrina likes this.
  19. GoldenIdun

GoldenIdun Artist

I'm just really curious about when they're gonna release the Introduction album :p Like how's that gonna work? I would prefer it to be the next one or the final one...

RxRedTx and Alastrina like this.
  20. HausofFly

HausofFly Artist

when did he say that? looool
    and how did I miss it:eek:

Alastrina and Somilucent like this.