BTS is overhyped???

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Doyoung, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Thighgirl

Thighgirl Rookie

Currency:
    This
    I too think that they deserve their success. I am not even their biggest fan, idk if I am even a fan. I like their songs about the social issues. N.O., Go go, Spine Breaker - I really love them. They seem overhyped because their fandom is really big , one of the biggest if I am not wrong. The bigger the fandom and its activity on the internet, the more overhyped the group is going to look.

2. sandrayang

sandrayang Super Rookie

Currency:
    aren't people getting tired of forcing this perspective though? like, seriously. bts is actually a rare case where there's plenty of substance behind the hype. that's exactly why people keep getting into them and stay constant.

y'all wish bts would be an empty hype train because then they'd fade out easy and quick. but they aren't, so you keep forcing empty words like 'overhyped'. last ditch efforts much?

as far as i'm concerned no one who spreads the messages they do and puts this much effort, thought and work into their craft will ever be overhyped.

Anon813, freakyfantasy and fortuna like this.
  3. annoyed

annoyed Idol

Currency:
    You guys keep saying that there's other kpop groups who deserve what BTS has, then BUY THEIR MUSIC!!!!

Armys are gonna see something different in BTS that they can't see or feel with other groups, just like how some other fans are gonna see or feel something with their ult groups that they can't feel with other groups. It just somehow becomes a problem when it's armys.

Anon813, Mirajess, Princess and 2 others like this.
  4. misterlibels

misterlibels Trainee

Currency:
    PPIC Staff
    Overhyped, yes. It seems the noise marketing they had are way too much than they expected. Still, for a K-Pop band to be nominated and invited in US's music awards is still (at least for me) amazing though.

Overrated, no. Reasons why? Oh-ho, don't make me start...

5. idc

idc Newbie

Currency:
    if someone thinks bts is overhyped, doesn't that mean something? would a bad group be overhyped?
    honestly, every fan wants the best for their own group, so they try hard to make the group well-known

every group has their time, so let the fans enjoy what there is for now

6. Dreamer95

Dreamer95 Elite

Currency:
    You can literally put any popular group here "......." and say they are overhyped. Twice, BigBang, Wanna One, EXO. People only say overhyped when they are getting tired of exposure to certain groups. That's normal.
    Best reply.

LostinDream likes this.
  7. Doyoung

Doyoung Super Rookie

Currency:
    First of all, to clear any issues, I'm an ARMY myself. BTS is the only boy group I liked, and that thread is just a 2 AM thoughts of mine. I got it, you guys explained to me now. It's just unclear to me because I kept seeing "BTS is overrated/overhyped" and that those two words were completely different. Now I had to go back and reply ;-; I didn't think this thread would be this big, but its BTS so its exceeded my expectations

8. Doyoung

Doyoung Super Rookie

Currency:
    I wish I had this mindset

9. centen

centen Celebrity

Currency:
    This. And overhyped and overrated are two different things. You can think a group's skills match what people's general consensus of their skill level, but still be sick of hearing about them. It's like when a song you used to love has played itself out, and you wish the radio would throw a new song into the rotation.

10. randomstrang3r

randomstrang3r Public Figure

Currency:
    First of all, I'm glad that people actually can differentiate overrated and overhyped. As for the OP question, personally I don't think they are overhyped. After DNA which is just not my taste, they still delivered. I love Serendipity, Outro Her and Mic Drop from the album. I love their recent japanese cb and the mixtape. Let Go just quickly climbing into my top 10 playlist. Blue Side and Outro Crack is now in my driving playlist. Other than music, they also give A LOT of other contents. So for me, they deserved the hype because they keep their fans well-fed and satisfied. They delivered. And other than hyping and supporting their faves, what else do you think their fandom should do? It just because some people can't understand the hype (which is completely fine because I also feel the same about some groups, it all just because of preference) and the fandom is VERY active on sns.

For OP, you're free to think whatever you want. I can understand if you felt they're overhyped. For me, they don't. They still delivered great music and contents. And I just wanna enjoy the music, the contents, the theories and everything as long as we can. Watching Burn the Stage just make me respect and appreciate them more, as idols, musicians and human. I'm just happy they got everything they have rn because they deserved it. Even if everyone said they're overhyped/overrated, I'm still gonna love and hype them up because I like them. Thats all. They don't have to be the best vocal or rapper or dancer or visual, I like them because they're BTS. They got that Bangtan style that no other groups can do and as cliche as this sound, they did inspired and helped me sometimes.

I can't believe I actually write an essay, :oops:. Okay, other than this, DO YOU THINK THERE IS A POSSIBILITY FOR THEM TO DROP SOMETHING @ 12 AM KST TONIGHT?!!! AN INTRO MAYBE? worry-raccoon-emoticon.gif

#90 randomstrang3r, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Doyoung likes this.
  11. fortuna

fortuna Leader

Currency:
    what kpop group isnt overly hyped by their fans????
    if that is what you meant...
    kpop fans call everyone and their mother kings and legends for just releasing a song

anyway
    I'll just say...
    BTS is very influencial
    and thank God they are because they use their influence for good
    from their lyrics, to their concepts, to their personal messages to their collaborations with UNICEF

Anon813, randomstrang3r and steph_ch like this.
  12. Doyoung

Doyoung Super Rookie

Currency:
    aww thank you!! you're so cute~ I know I felt bad too asking that question ;-;

13. cassexotic

cassexotic Rookie

Currency:
    Even if there are others who can dance better than them, they still don't have the music that BTS has and neither can they pull-off such a heavy choreography for 28 - 30 songs back to back. BTS as a group, are certainly a 'powerhouse' that even a lot of other groups look up to them. This is the main reason why I want to see their concert in person, if I could only get the chance.

To me, its not because of the looks. I could care less about such a superficial thing. But, if I need to stay interested in a group for long enough, I need content and perhaps, some appreciation as well, for all the effort that goes into supporting them. For me, there's no one who does it better than BTS. Good quality album (doesn't necessarily have to be great), Good MVs, Great Concerts, Great Content, Excellent Fan-service (I'm referring to the Festa), and an A+ for all the effort they are putting into giving back, not only to the fans but also to society as well (Social Responsibility). In fact, this is the only group where I was able to witness some real growth. Just look at how J-hope started out as a dancer and now he is a full-fledged singer, rapper, writer and producer. Look at Jungkook graduating from a main vocal and writer to young producer. And finally, take a look at RM who was criticised for his misogynistic lyrics, and how he learned from it by going back to university and re-educating himself even more about it. THIS is what I hoped to see from all those groups that I stanned, before them.

Also following your point, sure seeing them everywhere can get a bit annoying, but they are gaining newer fans everyday. Their numbers when doing something is what makes it seem like they are overhyped, but contrary to what you think, the interest for them is still there and the demand for them is growing day by day. Even large corporations can see that they're capable enough to sell out a venue like O2. So I really don't think they are overhyped, however, it's okay if that's how you see it.

#93 cassexotic, Apr 29, 2018
    Anon813 and randomstrang3r like this.
  14. freakyfantasy

Currency:
    I just wonder, what would be the appropriate amount of "hype" allowed for BTS so that they wouldn't be considered "overhyped"? LOL
    :rolleyes:

People hype BTS because they love their music and anticipate it, that's all there is to it.

Princess, Taehunk and randomstrang3r like this.
  15. Sorrybae39

Sorrybae39 Idol

Currency:
    You are not fake army ... you're just a fan not Army. So your opinion is not a big deal. Just go and support other groups who can dance better than them, have better visuals and better talents.

16. Zaera

Zaera Super Rookie

Currency:
    nah fam i just don’t let anyone, not korean ideology of what a fan ought and ought to not do, western ideology, etc control how i live my life.

You don’t have to answer to anyone’s definition of a [insert fandom name] but your own. Don’t be a sheep.

#96 Zaera, Apr 29, 2018
  17. LostinDream

LostinDream Super Rookie

Currency:
    Hyolyn's manager
    An who are you to decide if this person is ARMY. Is this some kind of title you give to people?

18. Bambamboozled

Bambamboozled Newbie

Currency:
    You can still love them but they’re overhyped

19. Zerachiel

Zerachiel Super Rookie

Currency:
    Triggering Reno
    They really are over hyped and over rated

20. Handsoap

Handsoap Trainee

Currency:
    Taking myself out of my misery
    Overhyped? Yeah, sure, sometimes fans definitely go delulu with their achievements and music, but they definitely aren't overrated to me