Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Blackpink's Appeal in the West

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Lost_time, Jun 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lost_time

Lost_time Artist

This is going to be about Blackpink's appeal in the west. I see a lot of fans saying Blackpink could break into the US market like BTS. Blackpink's concept is the cool/badass girl crush concept, but that isn't anything new in the US. It might be little rare in Korea, but not in the US. If anything normal american listeners would find Blackpink cute instead of cool. They are already "real" strong female singers/rappers in America. US artists that don't really need to have a persona, but it is their actual personalty.

Blackpink's edginess isn't their real personality, it is just a persona they play on stage.

2. Dreamer95

Dreamer95 Star

We talked about it for 10 pages in other thread. You are late :D

DangerousLo and Lost_time like this.
  3. Lost_time

Lost_time Artist

I miss all the fun. :(

4. jojomomo

jojomomo Artist

I agree...
    I'm not saying that Blackpink has no chance in US or other western markets, just not the same image as SK sees them.
    If they simply try to sell "edgy badass girlcrush", it would be underwhelming. Like you said, there are already loads of western acts much bolder in that style. Blackpink has to offer something different. Maybe they could.

DangerousLo and Lost_time like this.
  5. spicyaghase

spicyaghase Married to @kyoong

full-time winwin stan
    Yes, this a thousand times.
    BP may be "fierce" or "badass" in Korea, but people in the US will just see it as a cute/cringey attempt at being cool.
    I truly hope YG doesn't waste his money by trying to push BP into the American market, things like BTS' sudden popularity are outliers, they don't occur often.

BP is a good group, YG needs to let them revel in the attention they're already receiving.

Lately, people have been discussing Kpop groups breaking into the Western market and I'm like... why?
    Why should that be every Kpop group's ultimate goal now just because BTS did it?

#5 spicyaghase, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  6. Baltax

Baltax Artist

Western artists don't show "real personality" either. That's what they want you to believe.

I totally want them to have the same success BTS had, but they need to solidify their act in Korea first, they still have to mature as performers and have more songs with "meaning" since the US loves that shit so much.

7. emanresu

emanresu Legend

I don't know that the "badass" personas are any more authentic in the West.

Anytime someone puts on any sort of persona... it's to some extent artifice, in that it's an intentional creation of an outward aesthetic.

Children don't generally come from the womb with "badass" or "edgy" demeanors.

That's all learned and thus "created". In the West. In the East. Everywhere.

Now perhaps there is the perception that it's more genuine in the West.

Which may hinder BLACKPINK's ability to translate as you mention.

But I don't know that that would be due to any inherent illegitimacy, but rather simply due to prejudice and biased perceptions of authenticity.

8. mparserz

mparserz Artist

People think BlackPink is popular because of their persona?

Guys, it's the music. People like the music. The likeability and appeal of the girls are a plus.

There is no authenticity in Western music anyway. Have you seen what's popular in the Western markets?

Some of you are trying too hard to downplay BP's potential.

dontmindme2 and Jang_Sunny like this.
  9. blackbeard

blackbeard Artist

casual cult member
    Out of the top girl groups in Korea, BP has the best chance of gaining traction in the West.

I mean I like Twice but imagine that kind of musical concept in the west... They would think it is music aimed at toddlers lol.

10. lolita98

lolita98 Super Rookie

their appeal is because they are Kpop GG