BLACKPINK - 'Kill This Love' EP Review

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Rolex, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Rolex

Rolex A-List

Let me start this off by saying that I wasn't at all expecting all of what I heard other than the title track, they totally surprised me!

Kill This Love (Title)

The rap in this one is extraordinary, my favorite rap out of all the EP songs. The beat is amazing, has that calm guitar or something vibes on the calm parts (vocal parts) and then turns into a badass dance hard beat at the beat drops, the bass is very good in this song, I love the power of it, I like the structure of it, I like the claps in it, alongside the trumpets makes it sound like a literal anthem, and the drums at the end as well, I like those ticking kind of sounds during Lisa's part and throughout the song, gives a special touch to the beat and fits the rap flow very well, I love their vocals in this one, Jisoo's vocals calm me down then with Rosé the hype starts building slowly alongside the beat until the drop, I absolutely loved Rosé's vocals as well, I like the rap part of Jennie and Lisa, they compliment eachother very well when they rap together, Lisa brings charisma and swag while Jennie brings vocal color and flow, it's a very very great song, it was my favorite song of BP before I listened to the whole EP

10/10

Don't Know What To Do (Subtitle)

I just love this song so much, as soon as I played the song weird feelings started building inside me and not gonna lie I got emotional as the song kept playing, their vocals are beautiful, damn even Lisa's singing took me by a surprise, her voice tone and vocals are kind of those that are high pitched and I've always been used to her as a rapper even though every member has multiple abilities vocally, vocalists can rap and rappers can sing, and this is what I like most about them as a group, anyway, as soon as I started feeling the song, I then knew it outdid KTL and succeeded in becoming my favorite song of the EP, this song I feel will be a very special song of them for me, just like Stay, and maybe has a bigger impact, they brought lots of emotions with it, their vocals were amazing, they complimented eachother very well in this song, and of course the great beat, props to Teddy, the beat gives me sad but hopeful kind of vibes at the same time, I love love loved those long 'youuuuuuuu' parts by the girls, they're full of emotion, and give the song a very special touch, my favorite parts of the song, they compliment the beat at those parts as well, otherwise I think it would sound a little boring to me without them, another outstanding song, I don't know which song is my favorite by BLACKPINK anymore, I obviously relate to this song's name a lot, I don't know what to do hehe, I feel like it's already my fave, maybe with a few more listens it'll hold on to its position.

10/10

Kick It

I love the start of this song, how the beat quickly drops, it's a great move by Teddy. Makes it sound refreshing, something different, and again the same drop happens at Lisa's part later, her and Jennie's parts were kind of my favorite parts, I loved Lisa's singing here, very pleasing to the ear, I like 1:05 a lot, I like the way Rosé and Jisoo stutter or do vocal chops or whatever they're called, very catchy, Lisa's rap is very great too, fast rap, I like the meaning behind it and I like when there are voices repeating in the background after BLACKPINK, it doesn't happen often or never happened before in their songs I think. this is also a very great song but the two other songs had a greater impact on me.

9/10

Hope Not

This is a slow paced song, even though I'm usually not a big fan of slow songs, this song is very great, they all vocalized like they did in most of the songs in this album, I'm very satisfied with it. It's a very emotional song as well for me but I felt DKWTD more even though this one is kind of slower. I like the background voices throughout the song, the guitar sounds very great and chill in the background, it's a song I would play to sleep, I like it a lot, great beat, great vocals, emotion, great song, I have no complaints about it.

10/10

DDU-DU DDU-DU

The beginning didn't fail to trick me into thinking this remix isn't much different than D4 with that somewhat hyper sounds at the beginning, but as soon as the song started rolling, I knew it'll be some dubstep type of song, and given how great Teddy plays around with any type of beat, I was sure I was gonna like it and I did, although I'm normally not that big of a fan of very noisy music, I'm OBSESSED with that buildup, and then the sexy jamming drop, it's a very catchy remix, well structured, full of hype, great buildup, great drop, and BP's amazing input on the song for sure... I was having a hard time deciding wether I like it or the original more, it's just that I loved it a lot, Teddy did an amazing job on it, the bass is outstanding in it compared to the original, the singing fits both types of beats, but I kind of still prefer the original more since these types of beats aren't usually my favorite, but I still enjoy a well made one like this one, I'm very satisfied.

9/10

EP AS A WHOLE

I loved this album, the time I listened to KTL I thought it was gonna be an EP full of hard jam songs with hard beats, but they took me by a surprise, it's like they went with probably one of their loudest songs ever for KTL, which's not bad because it's very well made, and went with emotional slow paced songs for the rest aside from the remix, I love how versatile the EP is, but then Kick It and DKWTD were like songs that are between a song that's right between Stay and PWF and their other previous releases, they have calm beats, they'e calm but they still have a kick to them, which doesn't make me feel bored listening to them, except Hope Not, which I still loved for the type of song that it is even though as I said I'm not a fan of slow songs a lot unless I feel them. I felt like I was listening to some EXO songs aside from KTL and the remix, EXO kind of has that style of singing, or the slow type of beats, I don't know exactly why I get this relation but I'm living for it, their vocals were the best they ever were for me in this comeback and EP, especially Jisoo. Everytime she sings my heart melts, her voice is deep yet full of emotion, and props to Lisa for proving her singing ability by singing in all the three songs, and Jennie multitasking as usual, singing and rapping, starting the songs etc, this is a perfect EP, this is what I was waiting for 9 months and what I always wanted from BP, they just gave me 2-3 other songs similar to Stay, yet slayed them in their own way, they didn't fail to get me to like Rock as I expected, even though I know how bad I hate Rock normally... I'm very happy and satisfied with everything on the EP, even the Remix gave D4 an even more badass hard vibe, enjoyed it a lot.

Overall EP rating: 9.5/10

My previous ranking of the songs based on their descriptions was

1. KTL
    2. Kick It
    3. DKWTD
    4. Hope Not
    5. Dx4 Remix

My new ranking of the songs: (I love every single one so much still)

1. DKWTD
    2. KTL
    3. Hope Not
    4. Kick It
    5. Dx4 Remix

#1 Rolex, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Redan, SternRitter, joysoo and 9 others like this.
  2. Rolex

Rolex A-List

Omg there are so many typos and I keep correcting them, this is embarassing :waterr:
    At least I was able to finish the thread at last lol

3. monogmono

monogmono Public Figure

Mine:

KTL: 6/10 I just don't like it, the genre and the song is just not for me.

Don't know what to do: 9.5/10 I really like it, for me the song that should be the title track. I love how Jennie starts the song. And I've always loved this genre.

Kick it: 9/10 I really like it even I don't like the genre. The I love the rap and the final part too, it coulde be a title track or subtitle track perfectly.

Hope Not: 8/10 A ballad, not the best I've heard but is far from being bad or mediocre. I like the voice of Rose and Jisoo. I prefered Stay as a slower song.

DDDD Remix: 10/10 or 8/10 I'll explain, this song is perfect for live perfomances, Coachella, awards... I can imagine how in the drop BP would have a really good dance break with Lisa leading and that just can be 10/10, 8/10 just because it's not thing I would listen when I'm at home.

As a hole: for me better than Square Up, I wanted this from BP just that I don't like the title track.

HardcoreBLINK, inluvOT7 and Afya like this.
  4. Rolex

Rolex A-List

I can't decide between it and Square Up, I probably should just play safe and not pick a side, both are amazing pieces of art full of bops :yesr:

HardcoreBLINK and Joshy0714 like this.
  5. GDXT

GDXT Super Rookie

thank u for review, well for me DKWDT > KTL > Kick it > Hope Not > D4 Remix
    :excitedr:

Rolex likes this.
  6. MassiveKpopFan

MassiveKpopFan Trendsetter

Student
    IMO, I have to disagree. This EP was a huge step down for me musically.

Hope Not: 1/10. I hate acoustic pop ballads, plus Stay was just better (even though it's still one of my least favorites).

DKWTD: 6/10. The squeaky synth and that soft ass snare acting as the drop ruined the song for me.

KLT: 7/10. The verses, the end, and the 2 bridges are phenomenal, but the drop killed any momentum for me. M/V was fantastic though.

Kick It: 10/10. The only good song on this album. Rose and Jisoo sound amazing, and Lisa's rap was great. That writing should be used for every rap they do (*flashbacks to DDDD Japanese lyrics*)

I had high hopes for this as a Blink, and I was disappointed. I will say again, I hope the live stages prove me wrong, but so far, I'm not impressed.

Rindo likes this.
  7. Rolex

Rolex A-List

You're welcome, we almost had the same ranking! :)

8. Camac_s

Camac_s Rookie

Yeahh weirdly i do love this ep more than d4. Because in d4 im disappointed that they didnt make forever young as title track, but later d4 grow.
    I prefer this album because the other 3 track is a bit ballad dont know how to describe but rose’s vocal stand out the most the feeling everything is perfect even tho i still not digging ktl maaybe after few listen i will love it too

9. HardcoreBLINK

HardcoreBLINK Leader

Lol I agree with hope not being BP worst song,it was definitely a "reject" song from pre debut era,yg is a rat.

MassiveKpopFan likes this.
  10. arpydarpy

arpydarpy Rookie

Album review

Kill this love - 4/10
    • Very disappointing. It attempted to reach the anthemic power of previous legendary YG bangers such as IATB and Fantastic baby but got cucked by lacklustre verses and a really shitty (non-existent) chorus.
    Don't know what to do - 7.5/10
    • One of the better songs on the album. The build up is very euphoric, albeit quite generic, but the chorus is a pure rush. However, it sounds abit too streamlined for my tastes and the synths in the chorus are quite grating on further listens.
    Kick It - 3/10
    • Starts promising with the use of drums and percussion, before those trap influences start appearing in the background. Also, Lisa can't rap, so please stop. The vocal segments are much more satisfying, but still can't rescue the song from what it is. Also very restrained and weak chorus
    Hope not - 7/10
    • Nice smooth ballad, although it doesn't live to the level of something like stay. One of the better songs on the album, but far from being a knockout. It needed more oomf if it wanted to reach high tiers of 3rd gen gg b-side ballads (see One in million and you are not alone)
    Dx4 remix - 0/10
    • An absolute monstrosity. Why take a perfectly decent song and absolutely take the fattest shit of all time on it. It physically hurts my ears to listen to this garbage. Ive seen remixes on youtube that are better than this. The fake out drops don't even come close to working and the actual drops are grating beyond comprehension. At least the original Dx4 has that synth line in the background of the chorus, which acted as its catchiest factor. This doesn't even have that, making it an absolute throwaway.
    Final rating - 4.5/10
    If BP's concept for this comeback was just "noise", then they succeeded. Other than that, this album lacks any substance or image that would signal any development for a group that still haven't released a worthwhile song since 2017. If Blackpink want to succeed musically, they would do better to pursue sounds that rely more on a worthwhile melody that makes use of their vocals, instead of "hard" hip hop beats which puts more focus on their 1.5 member under par rap line.

11. HardcoreBLINK

HardcoreBLINK Leader

Yikes 3/10 for kick it? Literally the best song KTL!
    7/10 for hope not??
    Your taste is weird lol

12. dancingbella23

dancingbella23 Super Rookie

Pirate King
    For me I LOVE all the songs on this EP! Weirdly enough, I didn't like the last one and especially D4. But KTL did it for me my favorite though is DKWTD. It's on repeat now.

HardcoreBLINK likes this.
  13. Rindo

Rindo Newbie

As artists I'm glad to see BP tryna experiment and switch things up a bit. But for me (a BLINK) this album was sadly unsatisfying.

KTL (7.5/10): had to listen to it a couple of times before it finally grew on me. 4D was far superior musically and visually.

IDKWTD (6/10): Actually liked it until the cringe-worthy EDM-esque chorus.

HOPE NOT (8/10): really vibes with me since I'm a sucker for sad ballads and showcases all the members vocal abilities. Overall, this song makes me SOFT af. MY FAVE FROM THE EP ^_^❤️

KICK IT (6/10): okay song with only a catchy chorus.

Now, I know albums should grow and be different from the previous, but the songs in this EP are just idk, WEAK I GUESS? BP could do so much better and with all the Hype that had been going on about this EP I was expecting them to blow my socks off like always and YES! I know that they tried to deliver something different this time but for me this album just didn't make the cut.

#13 Rindo, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    HardcoreBLINK likes this.
  14. HardcoreBLINK

HardcoreBLINK Leader

This EP was an experiment
    You can expect superior bops in the upcoming debut album

Rindo likes this.
  15. RIILEY

RIILEY Trainee

being quirky and relatable
    KTL: 8/10. It's a great song, but it could have been something monumental. The militant drum-and-brass vibe is really nice, and fits great with the whole "Blackpink is the Revolution" theme. The chorus would benefit from a more melodic line over the instrumental (prob more lyrics instead of the rumpumpum) and a harder bass. The pre-chorus is actually really impressive, maybe one of my faves from them yet. The 2nd verse should've been longer (this is a problem we see in a lot of Kpop songs tho). The breakdown is great, but it should've been longer and taken things full circle. The MV and choreo are iconic tho. Overall, this was a really good song and comeback, though KTL is less of a fully realized anthem than a hint at the potential of the girls' galvanizing sound.
    DKWTD: 8/10. Another good one that could've been something more. I think this song had the potential to be another "Playing With Fire" (my fave BP song). It's held back by its abrupt ending and that squeaky (though less grating with each listen) synth in the chorus. Jisoo's vocal run halfway through the chorus is really beautiful though. Overall, it's a great addition and a good pick for a subtitle along with KTL, and I actually enjoy it a lot more than "Forever Young".
    Kick It: 7.75/10. This one's never really fully clicked with me, but I still enjoy it. It serves the same purpose on the EP as "Really" from Square Up. I love the anthemic breakdown, but again, it's placed too early in the song, which gives it a lesser impact as it would've had if it was placed after the song had fully developed. This early placement causes the song's ending to feel, yet again, very abrupt. I really enjoy the playfulness of the chorus, how the song just seems to randomly breakdown during the verses, and tones of the guitar and bass throughout. It's a very summery song, which adds a nice, inconsequential vibe to the album.
    Hope Not: 8.5/10. My favorite song from the album is the more mature, indie cousin of "Stay." It has an early Taylor Swift kind of sound, which is something I really enjoy. Actually, it's a very Western style guitar ballad. It feels the most authentic out of any of the songs on the EP, and gives an opportunity for the members' unique vocal timbres to shine (especially Rose and Jisoo). The bridge is pretty messy and fairly ill-conceived though.
    D4 Remix: 3.5/10. What purpose does this serve besides making a pretty good song into a cloying, cacophonous mess of tired EDM? I kind of enjoyed the added trap influences in Lisa's rap though. It's not fun to hear, and it can't be fun to perform.

EP Overall: 7.5/10. Because of the EP's incomplete feel, I think it really would've benefited from being expanded into a full album, with a lot of careful consideration taken to each song. Throw out that awful remix and I think what you have here is a very interesting, mature album of great ideas that provides a stellar blueprint for the group's first studio album. Until then, I'm satisfied with this group of four distinct tracks that are incomplete yet highly enjoyable.

HardcoreBLINK and Rindo like this.