'BG sell more albums than GG because of hardcore fangirls'

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Queeeenie, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Idol

I'm sorry but what?
    Imagine saying that fanboys were the reason for GG's high digitals.
    I mean any big group has hardcore fans that will stream and buy their products, it just sounds like people are trying to downplay the success of those top selling BG groups whilst also shading female fans.
    How about they sell a lot and are popular because they have lots of songs that people enjoy and connect with, memorable choreo, relatable personalities, great stage presence and powerful live performances (all backed by a company that knows what it's doing)?
    Why bring the gender of their fans into this? GG have hardcore fans too, I'm sure Twice has a lot. And didn't SNSD have a lot of hardcore female fans too?
    These loyal fans are usually earned through consistency.

If I like the vast majority of the songs on an album, I will buy it. If my bias groups were all girls and had the same quality output, I would still support them.

#1 Queeeenie, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. FTJ

FTJ Trainee

Fanboys follow sports.

3. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Idol

They also follow kpop

4. FTJ

FTJ Trainee

They overwhelmingly follow sports. Boy groups sell more albums than Girl Groups because the vast majority of dedicated, money spending, K-Pop fans are girls and they like boy groups. It's just the way things are.

ShelterRegulus likes this.
  5. xoxoshawol

xoxoshawol Public Figure

AKB48, for example, is HUGE in Japan (they even sell more than every powerhouse in Kpop) and their fans are mostly guys, so there's no reason to say that "BG sell more because of fangirls".

That makes a HUGE difference fo me and also do for lots of people.
    I follow BGs exactly for those reasons (I can't relate with most of GG's songs and most of groups are plain on stage for me also 'cause I prefer male voices in general, it doesn't matter the music genre, but that's not the point here) and lots of other people I know feel the same.

BLACKPINK and Queeeenie like this.
  6. SinBuddy116

SinBuddy116 Trendsetter

Buddy Gang
    Fangirls are way more dedicated than fanboys tho. Sorry

ExoticPride likes this.
  7. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Idol

What evidence is there for this?
    They might not be as expressive but that doesn't mean they don't spend the money.
    Saying that girls like boy groups sounds like an over generalisation, mamamoo and red velvet for example have a strong female following, far more females than males attend their concerts.

8. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Idol

In what way? Where is the data for this?

9. SinBuddy116

SinBuddy116 Trendsetter

Buddy Gang
    It's common knowledge...any person that doubts is delusional and just upset because people are pointing out simple facts about their precious oppas success.

jasque and ExoticPride like this.
  10. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Idol

There's no evidence for it, actual hard data on demographics is generally lacking since fandom is difficult to quantify in the first place.

The oppa thing works both ways. Male fans ask their favourite female idols to address them as oppas in fan signs, they use the word in songs along with aegyo, they capitalise on the concept just as much as guys, even more so. I honestly hate it when people use the word to refer to korean male celebrities, it's cringey to me. I don't own them and I don't personally know them.
    People just seem to be painting GG as victims when they're not, they can absolutely capture the male and the female market.

11. FTJ

FTJ Trainee

Are you arguing that there's equality in girls spending money for boy and girl groups or that K-Pop fans aren't mainly female? Because a big chunk of girl group fandom and sales are girls also.

Wanna One sold 700k, 500k (repackage), and then 800k albums. And they're the 3rd best boy group. EXO does 1 million+ with repackages. BTS does 1 million+ per album. TVXQ is still doing Japan dome tours after all this time. This is fan girl money in action.

Red Velvet sells 70-100k per album and they're the second best girl group. Mamamoo does 50k. The tour attendance likewise is skewed towards boy groups.

grassknives likes this.
  12. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Idol

In my post I was mainly talking about hardcore fans, ie. the obsessive ones, at least that's what I think people mean when someone uses that word in this context. The crazies make up for a small proportion of the fandom.

I think male fans when they like a group do spend spend money to support their artist. From what I've seen with Twice being the most popular group amongst males and have a mainly male fanbase, they have ended up selling a hell of a lot more albums than other girl groups. They're kind of a wall.

Even if there were more girls buying albums than boys, I wouldn't say they have some sort of huge bias towards the opposite sex in regards to their music, they mostly just buy what they think is good, and the album sales reflect that.
    People try to downplay female musical taste if it involves boy groups, they act as if female fans are spending money on their "precious oppa" because they are physically attracted to them, like they're brainwashed somehow. I don't think that's the case.

#12 Queeeenie, Jun 19, 2018
  13. FTJ

FTJ Trainee

Album sales are a measure of commitment because people don't buy albums for the music. They buy albums to support their faves, to get into fan signs, or as souvenirs. And it's overwhelmingly girls that do that. Twice, in terms of album selling power are around the level of Seventeen and Got7, the 4th and 5th best album selling boy groups and Twice have a sizable female fanbase.

Girl group music, and girl group appearances in festivals are popular. But they're popular in the way that people will easily be fans of a girl group for the song or for the night of the festival but won't invest in buying the albums. Girls don't have a problem charting on Melon or getting tons of Youtube views. But the amount of album commitment is far far less than that of boy groups with their female fans.

Boy groups are also far more likely to stay together because they have committed fanbases of girls/women. Girl groups routinely disband at the 7 year mark or the 10 year mark more often than boy groups. When TVXQ go to Japan and do arena tours it's going to be to girls and women that are committed to being their fans that have stuck by them for the last decade plus. It's like how guys will be deeply committed to the sports teams they like and will follow them season after season.

Queeeenie likes this.
  14. ExoticPride

ExoticPride ❂Snake Lord❂

♛Royalty Stan♛
    I mean its obvious that they sell more because of fangirls, meanwhile GGs have more downloads because GP prefers GGs.
    I dont know why this is difficult to understand instead of deluding yourself with a bunch of bullshit that actually says that GGs dont sell more because they dont have great songs ...

15. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Idol

But if that was the case, wouldn't groups like mamamoo who have far more female than male fans be selling around the same number of albums as boy groups?
    Why would it be overwhelmingly girls who make that commitment?

There are lots of different reasons a group disbands, it can be because of tensions between members, certain members wanting to go down their own path and make different music, not necessarily because of dwindling support from their fans.

16. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Idol

I'm questioning why people are distinguishing between fangirls and the general public. The crazy fangirls commit to buying bg albums but the general public which is both men and women download and stream gg content?
    Why is it okay for you to say that the public prefer gg but I can't say that fans prefer bg?
    I didn't say anything about gg not having great songs, I just think the consumers know what they're paying for, if they commit to buying an album they are doing so because they believe in the quality.

17. FTJ

FTJ Trainee

Girls like male groups more than they like girl groups. By an overwhelming amount. Why? Attraction, social fan culture, it's an acceptable hobby. The commitment to boy groups and girl groups is not the same. When people say Mamamoo has a lot of female fans, they say that in the girl group context. They don't mean it in an overall K-Pop context. They're not going to sell the same amount of albums as EXO.

For girl groups, it's mainly because of dwindling fan support. People that like girl groups like them young and fresh. Old girl groups don't have that commitment. But old guy groups will still get support. Shinhwa is still around after 20 years. I believe this is biological. Just look at actors and actresses. Old male actors still get a lot of roles while actresses that become older get discarded for younger actresses. It's not uncommon to cast an older male lead opposite a younger female lead love interest. It's a complaint a lot of older actresses have about job security.

18. ExoticPride

ExoticPride ❂Snake Lord❂

♛Royalty Stan♛
    You are implying that bgs have better quality than ggs then cuz fans are committed to buying quality ... also this is just stupid cuz they buy to support their faves doesn’t matter if the album is trash, that’s why bgs have more albums sales cuz fan girls are way more dedicated and bgs have more fans than ggs, meanwhile ggs rely on general public that’s why ggs always have higher downloads, GP prefers ggs and female voices that’s how it is

19. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Idol

I don't think sexual attraction has that big of a part to play. It's also an acceptable hobby to be a fan of a girl group and take part in social fan culture.
    4 minute disbanded because the members wanted to take different career paths, same with the wonder girls and Kara I think, with 2ne1 and sistar there was a member that wanted to go solo. There was still a lot of support for these girls. Spica and stellar disbanded because of dwindling support I think, but I can think of boy groups in the same position.
    I agree with you with the double standard in the acting industry

20. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Idol

Quality is subjective to a degree, people have different tastes. But when a lot of people, critics and fans really like a certain thing, it can be indicative of quality. I don't think people buy albums they hate to support someone, and even if they do it's going to be a small proportion of fans, not enough to make a huge difference to the numbers.

#20 Queeeenie, Jun 19, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted