Best & Worst K-Actors/Actresses

Discussion in 'K-Movies & TV' started by perfectsmilebias, Sep 21, 2016.

1. perfectsmilebias

Currency:
    In your opinion... who are the best Korean actors and actresses and who are the worst?

Preferably, talk about actors who are known mainly for acting, not just idol-actors or model-actors. You can list more than one in each category.

Please note, I am not an expert critic. These are my opinions.

BEST

Male
    [​IMG]
    Lee Byung Hun

I'm only talking about his performances in Korean works. Watching him in Memories of the Sword was a revelation! His control over subtle emotion and expressions was really something to watch. What really struck me was, his character is an often-seen character in K-movies and K-dramas, but I have never seen it as expertly performed as when Lee Byun Hun did it! I also enjoyed his performance in Masquerade. I should watch more of his work...

Female
    Sadly, I don't have one.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I haven't watched enough K-movies or K-dramas, and an actress has not made a great enough impact on me. Im Soo Jung caught my eye in Perfect Proposal, but her character was quite simple in that movie. Ha Ji Won is another actress that impresses me, she knows how to emote very well. However, sometimes I am not a fan of her unnatural delivery, plus I notice her emotions look very similar regardless of the character she is playing. Consequently, her performances are sometimes not unique, despite how unique her character might be.

WORST

Male
    [​IMG]
    Lee Moon Shik

I have only watched him in Empress Ki and Healer, but this actor exemplifies over acting. His emotions, whether happy or sad, are so over-exaggerated they are gag-like. Perhaps, there is a cultural thing that I am not recognizing, perhaps his over-acting is intentional. But, for me, his performances always come off as comedic (but not funny) even if they aren't suppose to be.

Female
    [​IMG]
    Hwang Jung Eum

I have watched her in Kill Me, Heal Me and in She Was Pretty, and both those performances were very bad. Her exaggerated acting usually results in her shouting her lines. For me, her acting lacks a genuine core. She is so conscious of the camera, every minute action and facial expression of hers comes off as practiced. Admittedly, in those two performances she plays similar characters.... but I believe those characters came off as twins mostly because of her acting rather than the script.

2. mamamoobts

mamamoobts Super Rookie

Currency:
    full-time MooMoo + Army
    Instead of saying "best" and "worst" i'm only gonna point out some i like or dislike xD
    so
    idk i can't think of a guy i particularly like but i liked kim sang joong's performance in "Bad Guys"
    [​IMG]
    actually all of these guys did pretty well in dat drama xD
    for WOMEN
    i would probably say Jung Yu Mi
    [​IMG]
    she literally made me cry in "Train to Busan" gahhhhhhhhhhh
    or Kim Hye Soo
    [​IMG]
    the charismaaaaaaaaaa yass she was great in "signal"
    now over to worst
    idk any males rn but yea
    females
    sorry, but i still don't like park shin hye
    [​IMG]
    her acting just does not seem natural to me. like some movements or scenes r :/. Just a small example, I'm not sure if i saw this from "Doctors" or another drama, but there was a scene where she moves to leave but the other actor stops her. Like it was relly easy to tell that she wasn't going to move from her spot (?) does that make sense? xD like her acting really showed that she was following a script and she already knew he was gonna stop her

perfectsmilebias likes this.
  3. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    My Favorite

Gong Hyo Jin

[​IMG]

Edit: I think I've seen just about everything she has been in. The only one I didn't like was Snowman....which was a really creepy jail bait sister-in-law lust for dead sister's husband role. Creeped me out, more so for the plot than her acting.

#3 mkusa, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    iisstf28 and perfectsmilebias like this.
  4. hoe4junhoeikonic

hoe4junhoeikonic Trendsetter

Currency:
    Female: Jun Ji Hyun
    From watching her way back in My sassy girl to My love from another star, i have to say, SHE IS AMAZING. Ahhh there's also another movie where she was a cop, but I forgot the name. Nonetheless, she is definitely my top.
    [​IMG]

5. hoe4junhoeikonic

hoe4junhoeikonic Trendsetter

Currency:
    Males: Song Joong Ki
    don't u dare say i'm picking him because i'm following the popular bandwagon. I mean nonetheless, he is popular because of his talents but his appearance in Innocent Man just omg i can't.
    upload_2016-9-21_22-7-27.jpeg

and i couldn't pick just one ><

My other top male: KIM SO HYUN
    His acting in Dream High never caught my attention but when I watched My love from another star, and The Moon embracing the SUN, dayum. i fell in love.
    upload_2016-9-21_22-9-46.jpeg

6. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    Oops, I guess I should have mentioned my favorite male actor too.

Cha Seung Won

Whether he's playing goofy over-the-top Dokko Jin, or a much more serious role (like a wanabe transexual), he always has my attention.

[​IMG]

Of course......there's always my fav male and female together.
    [​IMG]

7. elly2k

elly2k Super Rookie

Currency:
    Favorite
    Male - So Ji Sub, Lee Jongsuk, Yoo Ah In, Lee Junki, Jin Yi Han, Kim Woobin, Park Hae Jin, Ryu Jun Yeol,, Jo In Sung
    Female - Gong Hyojin, Han Hyojoo, Han Jimin, Moon Chae Won

Dislike/Not-crazy-about
    Male - Jang Geun Suk,
    Female - Park Shinhye, Kim Taehee

#7 elly2k, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. perfectsmilebias

Currency:
    Okay, I've been watching the new drama "The K2" and I might have my favorite K-drama actress now...
    It is Song Yoona!!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Her performance as the chaebol heiress turned ambitious politician's wife delivers subtle yet believable emotions. She's definitely a scene-stealer!

sejoong02 likes this.
  9. USSR

USSR Rookie

Currency:
    Personally my top 2 Male actors:
    Kim Woo Bin
    Lee Jong Suk
    I forget the female actors i like, sorry.