Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Before Bad Boy, PAB and RF; was RV’s discography quite messy?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by fxcx09, Mar 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fxcx09

fxcx09 Artist

50/50. My favourite RV title track to date is Russian Roulette. My least favourite being Dumb Dumb - I like it but it got annoying over time (also the styling then was hideous).

Their Velvet comebacks didn’t do it for me. I love Be Natural and One Of These Nights - but they should’ve been B-sides instead of actual tracks for a proper comeback.

I think SM was really just experimenting with the Red and Velvet concepts before 2017, they were still trying to figure out which style or genre would fit them. Safe to say all went to plan, Red Velvet is killing it right now. They’ve also found the the perfect velvet (no pun intended), because Velvet=/=Ballad songs which is great.

Do you think the discography predating Red Flavour era was messy?

2. peachHeaven

peachHeaven Golden Star

Agree with you that SM was experimenting with their Red and Velvet concepts, they were experimenting with concepts and styles and clothes etc but IMO not so much with the sound, and I mean all of their songs not just the title tracks.
    But their discography is not messy for me :confused: I love The Red album, the Velvet and Rookie minis a lot.

3. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Entertainer

I love One of These Nights and Automatic! They were very well produced songs and the vocals were great. I live for good harmonies in the backing vocals, and SM always delivers them with red velvet. I'm not a fan of "rap" sections in their songs except for in Ice cream Cake, it really fit the song. The mature side of red velvet has been what has kept me interested in them, I think it gives them another dimension.
    They're grown women now anyway, they can't do cute forever.

2017 was a very good year for them but I'm not going to discredit the years before that. Dumb Dumb was the best they sounded vocally in my opinion, plus it's a very unique song. It's also one of my favourite choreographies.
    I also really liked Happiness. Although I didn't like the song at first it has really grown on me. They looked like they were having so much fun in that era, plus the choreo was really tight. Wendy's 'shine on me' really shined! Her voice was the strongest back then, it seems to have shrivelled a bit, but maybe that's because they were just tired from all the comebacks.

So yeah, I'll have to disagree with you.

jaehyoons, Kireta, callycat97 and 6 others like this.
  4. SunnySun

SunnySun Entertainer

Messy on style and SM did a lot of experiments on them (even now they are still do it) but I love their music and I always did, The Red is one of best girl group albums in this generation, ICC and The Velvet EPs are very good too

the3rdtWin likes this.
  5. SHKPOPFAN

SHKPOPFAN Entertainer

My say is you should not experiment so much . You should stick with one music style for at least a year , changing music style every comeback is good but this shows they have no love for the music , They abandon one genre and suddenly switch to another which is weird coz that makes no sense . Why do we make music tell me ? coz to earn money or we love it ? I love YG groups in that case , they love hip hop music and they stick to it coz they love it . Even if they go ballad mode, they still have hip hop sense in them :) . You should do what you love.

6. Rand_Al_Thor

I think they do love music but all genres.
    They love to sing and dance irrespective of the genre. Thinking they do not love music because they switch it up is nuts, and more than a little arrogant, but exactly what i would expect out of a yg stan.

7. SHKPOPFAN

SHKPOPFAN Entertainer

If you find it arrogant , then it is okay. Iam not YGstan . Iam VIP :) . I usually myself hate company stans believe me :D.

8. CrazyBunnyJay

CrazyBunnyJay Entertainer

I always said that they have had their own style of music. Is it as clean cut as Infinite or Vixx? No. But what is tipical RV is their fun, colorful concepts that also is howed in their songs ( Dumb Dumb, Rookie, RR, Happinies, Red Flaovr) all have this bubbly, fun and just this RV feel to it. + they are called Red Velvet becuase of that. Red is their bubbly, colorful side while Velet is the slower, RnB side that Wendy espieccialy shines it ( vocally, she is the one who get's the most lines in those types of songs, while the Red side is what Seulgi shines in hence she usually starting the songs and has most of the time equal lines like Wendy or more ).

BTW Be Natrual is not their song. It is S.E.S. They released the song as a remake t honor thi legendary girl group.

I know people can think it's messy but SM loved experimenting with f(x) ( and SHINee) too without loosing what makes the groupand you can still be like aa that song is from them.

sonemariam likes this.
  9. sonemariam

sonemariam Star

It was never messy, they still had the best gg discography in New generation like they still do.

Happiness was my fav song until bad boy happened. Russian roulette is cool too.

10. Ayumi9

Ayumi9 Artist

It’s all over even now. That’s why their fan base is here and gone too.

But I don’t hate the music even if it jumps the genre ship every comeback

11. CrazyBunnyJay

since when has YG been strictly hip hop? The only group who did it was 1TYM. Big Bang started it but they have gooten more and more poppy over the years ( and please Oh My Friend is the least hip hop title track of theirs.). Winner has never been hard core hip hop ( ough Mino would be fantastic in it and he has on his mixtape pretty sick beats) but Winner always did more of RnB, Ballady songs. iKon too has been loving to switch it up. LS and Rubber Band, My Type, Airplane etc. are far from hip hop ( tough Bling Bling, BDay are more in the hip hop realm of things). ( GG are a diiferent thing because Teddy does it all for them but I wouldn't call them hip hop based. Hip Hop based would never be an idol group unless you are Block B- they are not even considered idols )

Real Hip Hop artists are DrunkenTiger, Dynamic Duo, Leesang etc.

Just because a group started doing hip hop beats, has a decent rap line does not mean they can be considered hip hop artists, that they can be considered doing hip hop. People who are hip hop, who do strictly hip hp would never really try out other genres ( not meaning they can't do slow songs or more funny songs, Dynamic Duo's Jam is such an amazing funny song, but than they have this sick songs like Three Dopeboy. Just listen to Gaeko's solo album Redingray you feel how intense his rap is ( Gaeko is crazy sick when he raps, his flow is one of the best).

12. kyutiemir22

I think other than RV killing it right now I disagree with everything you posted lol

I don’t think it was messy but I do think it was more experimental. Their Velvet songs are bops, Dumb Dumb styling was cute af (rookie was worst for me), I think they still are experimenting with them.

Kpopaddict4life7 likes this.
  13. kyutiemir22

I think its pretty backwards to believe experimentation means no love for music. I think its the opposite actually and it shows even more so how creatively inclined they are.

14. CrazyBunnyJay

I agree with this. This shows what they are able to do. Sticking to one thing only can become boring. CHaging up things can get intresting. + as I see it RV has their own sound even tough they are experimenting. This is just how SM has been doing it with SHINee and f(x) too

15. SHKPOPFAN

SHKPOPFAN Entertainer

I don't know why but i agree with you lolz . I Love how their can be different perspective for same thing :) . It is not backward . it is called perspective . Some singers always remain in their genre for whole time because they love it . They love that type of music and dont want to abandon it .

CrazyBunnyJay likes this.
  16. SunnySun

SunnySun Entertainer

When is the last time YG groups even did hip hop?

sonemariam likes this.
  17. Rand_Al_Thor

This says your a YG stan.

And i find your argument arrogant, exactly as i find all vips and yg stans totally full of themselves. Sm acts switch it up, Shinee is all over the map with self -written songs (which i know yg stans get wet over), Snsd switched it up, SJ, TVXQ, Fx, the list goes on for anyone to assume they do not 'love music' because its not one narrow sub genre is appalling.

-added later.
    And if staying kpop is to narrow. Mozart, Tchaikovsky ect composed many genres and did not focus only on say chamber music, symphonies, ballet, opera ....; your statement would seem claim they did not love music because they branched out stylistically.

#17 Rand_Al_Thor, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    caitlinnolly and sonemariam like this.
  18. zedi

zedi Artist

TBH i didn't like single title track other than the happiness one of these nights but i only listen to their Bside
    Body talk
    cool hot sweet love
    oh boy
    but all that changed with Perfect Velvet

sonemariam likes this.
  19. IwilleatBomishit

Honestly, I think sm got tired with too much exmperimrnt on RB. Look at the mow, thry have better dtyling makeup/clothes wise. Every member has their own unique color. I love their comebavk. Look at NCT, SM was super experimrntal during Fire truck and limitless era. And now they've finally found their style. And the boys look great.

20. caitlinnolly

caitlinnolly Artist

they weren't messy, sm were just trying to find rv's colour all while showing just how versatile they are as a group. but i must admit that rookie is... not my favourite song of theirs.