Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Are you ashamed of being a Kpopper?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by karebearsays, Feb 15, 2017.

1. karebearsays

karebearsays Artist

When people look at me, I'm sure it doesn't even cross their mind that I listen to Kpop, so whenever I tell them they'll either be; A) Confused B) Slightly interested or C) Low-key judgemental

Especially when guys try to flirt with me. This is the conversation:
    "What music are you listening to?"
    "Kpop."
    "Kpop? What is that?"
    "Korean music."
    "Korean music?"
    "Yeah."
    "Do you understand it?"
    "Nope." (I don't try to explain to them that I'm trying to learn it; they don't need to know all that.)
    "Oh..."
    [​IMG]

Then I'll never see them again lol
    [​IMG]

I still feel like sometimes I should be ashamed of what I listen to and just say idk, "Pop music." I know people judge me for listening to Kpop, especially since I don't look like, I guess, your typical "Koreaboo" or "Weaboo" as they all classify every Asian music/culture interested person in, such as myself.
    But at the end of the day, whenever somebody asks me what music I listen to, I never hesitate to tell them Kpop, because my philosophy is, if you can't love me for me, then you can't love me at all.
    [​IMG]

What about you guys? Have you ever been embarrassed to admit you're a kpopper? Or are you still embarrassed to admit you're a Kpopper?
    [​IMG]

2. becci

becci Star

I don't really care what people think about it anymore tbh

3. Eithra

Eithra Artist

Well I'm not ashamed of being a K-Popper but I still feel slightly embarrassed when people ask me what kind of music I listen to.Especially since I live in India I know we have a fair amount of K-Poppers, but it's so rare that I actually meet one. :nervousk:

4. karebearsays

karebearsays Artist

Random comment: I'm starting to like using gifs...
    [​IMG]

5. Unspeakable

Unspeakable Artist

I'm not ashamed of it. But I don't really just blurt it out either. I'll be honest if someone asks me about it, but I don't say I like kpop because of all the questions I get after (like those you mentioned)

KoShinwon, danilynn, ArieIIe and 2 others like this.
  6. Myrhia

Myrhia Star

Why should I be ashamed of being a k-popper when they aren't ashamed of being ignorant.
    [​IMG]

7. Lovely_Cornchips

I typically instead of saying I like Kpop I say I listen to music from different countries-which is technically true.

I listen to German, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, British, Australian, and Russian music.

Sorry shameless promotion.

But being serious it is a bit embarrassing to say you like Kpop because everyone assumes you mean Psy. He only has one song that I like so I wouldn't consider that but thats who people think of when you mention it so...

8. LovelySerenity

None of us should be ashamed. K-Pop is just popular music except it's in korean. Music has no language, you don't have to understand it to be entertained or feel the passion. Once you enjoy K-Pop, it doesn't matter what anyone says. If it makes you smile, then don't be afraid to listen to it. People can be ignorant in this world, including our own family who aren' supportive.

#8 LovelySerenity, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    andisa, soshilovelife, fxcx09 and 5 others like this.
  9. LegendaryTsunade

Why would you be ashamed????

[​IMG]

10. Safae_Dr

Safae_Dr Artist

i'm not at all i always say i listen to kpop and i don't care what they think and yeah me too whenever someone know for the first time they will be kpop what kpop ahh this chinese people and why do u listen to them when u don't understand blablabala lol but i'm not ashamed this what i like

Viv_Iann17 likes this.
  11. Multifandom_hoe

Hell No! I have even made friends based on my KPOP ringtones lol. On way to work one day my phone rang on the bus lol, btw my ringtone is BTS' cypher 4. This girl immediately turned to me with a huge smile lol. After the phone call I was like ARMY? yep and the conversation continued till we got off the bus.

12. kamypop

kamypop Star

I am not ashamed and do say that I listen to Kpop but there are some awkward moment, I teach French and some of my students like Kpop groups so I can sometimes feel super awkward thinking that the 12 to 15 years old facing me is crazy about the same group lol :eek::eek: !

13. idcok

idcok Legend

Nah, I never cared~

Omg your Indian too<3

Eithra and Viv_Iann17 like this.
  14. Xadne

Xadne Artist

I was ashamed of it but now I just accepted it^^ It's weird for people that are not into that, but I don't care anymore
    Would be nice to have some reallife friends who listen to it too though:waterr:

15. seaofblue19

seaofblue19 Entertainer

No? I mean don't understand why people would be embarrassed to admit they enjoy something? Like the only reason it would embarrass you would be if you thought there was something wrong with it. Idk..

16. SpringxTempo

SpringxTempo Artist

i'm never ashamed of listening to kpop.
    honestly music is like a universal language,
    so i don't see the problem in enjoying music from other countries.
    shoot, at my family gatherings we always play 2NE1 music lol.
    don't ever be ashamed :)

#16 SpringxTempo, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Eithra and Viv_Iann17 like this.
  17. Bopper

Bopper Artist

Nah I'm not ashamed. I spazz on twitter about releases and if my followers don't like it they can click unfollow.

my best friend wants me to live tweet the Brit awards next Wednesday because she knows I'm useless when it comes to western music.

When my uni mates thought it was weird they'd sometimes see me wander into uni with packages I'd just got and be all curious. My shorthand tutor was a woman in her 60's and thought Kai looked gorgeous in one pic :p

18. masayume_chasing

I usually say I listen to Asian music since I listen to jpop with kpop too and some other artists outside of Japan and Korea like Jolin Tsai.

To those whose are commenting "but you don't even understand the language" - here's a song for ya who I believe you will understand

KoShinwon likes this.
  19. StripedTiger

Yesterday I got too excited and spammed krystal pics on my instagram. At first I regretted it since I wasn't sure how my friends would react (not all of them know I listen to kpop) but then it got loads of comments with people saying how pretty Krystal was and how much they loved her. I didn't know that so many people I know listened to kpop, let alone know who Krystal is. So yeah I might have have felt a bit embarrassed about it before but I definitely won't be from now on!

KoShinwon and Viv_Iann17 like this.
  20. kingespada20

kingespada20 Artist