Any name nerds up in here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by findtheakarun, Mar 12, 2016.

1. findtheakarun

findtheakarun Super Rookie

Currency:
    Professional Sassybish
    One of my weirder hobbies is baby names. Got really into it around 2012 but since fell out of it. It's still an interest I have, though, and I do so love name trivia once in awhile. If anyone else here has a weird level of fascination with it, please tell me so I don't feel too weird. Gimme a few of your favorites, and maybe go on about a few recently popular names that tick you off (*cough*Nevaeh*cough*).

I tend to stick to female names, for which my personal favorites are Vera, Celia, Della, Noelle, Cordelia, and Emilia. I do so love my ell's and lia's.

Every year I pray that Harper will fall a few ranks, just a few, but it only ever goes up...

My favorite places to play around are babynamegenie.com (for advising parents-to-be not to name their kids Nevaeh or Harper), nymbler.com (for general name-picking), and sporcle.com/games/subcategory/babynames (for knowledge-testing). Try 'em if it's your thing.

potatorose and mkusa like this.
  2. igoi

igoi Newbie

Currency:
    its quite weird but i can relate to it a bit.

potatorose and h4nisaurus like this.
  3. xwhisperx

xwhisperx Leader

Currency:
    Derp Queen
    Not really, don't really follow what's popular in the baby naming world, although i was told quite recently my name is rare now a days xD Not one for Objects or really meaningful ones or made up names tbh.

but since i have had a child i can tell you something alot of the names you may pick go out the window, especially when you actually see your child, its like certain names suit certain children better.
    I have citeria for baby names 1. It must not be horrifyingly scarring for them, and not so easy to make fun of, 2. the way it sounds with my name or partners name (these things were always amendable) if it doesn't flow then it will get adjusted. 3. if it actually suits my baby.

I mean up until the 3rd point, theres a few possibilities, but once that child is born, thats when something really stands out.

Got lucky with my first, My Son's name suits him well ^^ Keeping the rest of my names a secret mainly cause my first girl name got jacked twice, both first and middle name by two of my friends xD

potatorose likes this.
  4. shuka

shuka Celebrity

Currency:
    LMAO, I don't look at names, but I do like them and think about them sometimes, especially if I see one I really like.

For guys, I'm particularly attached to Eugene, don't ask why. I also like Leon, Quintin, Elias, Janne, and Warwick.
    For girls, I like Amelia, Lydia, Lille, Thelma, Carys (which was supposed to be my name until my father said no Dad pls oijisogoij), and Rosalind.
    i like weird names okay TT_TT

potatorose likes this.
  5. paletaemin

paletaemin Newbie

Currency:
    i like edgy and artsy names... like dakota, ivy, aurora, violet, elle

potatorose likes this.
  6. MajorBlackjack

MajorBlackjack Trainee

Currency:
    I love the name Aria.

potatorose likes this.
  7. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    I'm a bit of a stickly/nerdy person about names, so here as some of my observances:

- NEVER call a child by their middle name as the preferred name. They will go through their entire life correcting people. i.e. Don't name a boy William Robert Whosawhatzit, and call him Bob. He'll go through his entire life correcting people who call his first name.... "I don't go by William". It gets even worse signing legal documents. Don't do it.

- Don't name a child after a distant relative that had a quirky name....like...Mayfly. It sounds cute, and is a honored throwback to family, but will be an albtross around their neck.

- Don't name a child after an adult vice product...like....Budweizer. Yes, I know a Bud. Poor kid. Thank God I don't know anyone named Marlboro or Virginia Slim. (but there was a pretty neat guy once named Kool....he had a gang)

- Don't name a child with a name where the ending sound of their first name is the same as the beginning sound of their last....like.....Mike Kite, Stan Nance, etc. It's just a bit weird.

- Don't be an idiot. Think carefully about what you are doing. It is NOT a joke...yes....I really do know a guy named Richard Head. His parents should have been burned at the stake.

There are some historic names in my family that have fallen out of favor in modern times, but I think are wonderfully historic:

Edna
    Ezra
    Oni
    Nora
    Betsy (no not short for Rebecca...just plain Betsy)
    Rebecca (yes, this too)
    Maggie
    Pearl

Names that tick me off......
    Any name that begins with 'La'
    Any name that has a 'q' in it

And finally...any name that is spelled deliberately f'd up as a joke...like Bil, Thom, Sale.

#7 mkusa, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    balla_deer, yupitsme and potatorose like this.
  8. minorishin

minorishin Super Rookie

Currency:
    When I was younger a little, read a whole book just on names #darktimes

shuka and potatorose like this.
  9. findtheakarun

Currency:
    Professional Sassybish
    Any sort of over-particularity about names makes me happy for some reason.
    I'll say, though, that Rebecca is still decently common. Maybe barely in the top 300 for US.
    I do think going by a middle name isn't too bad if the child actually chooses to do it, though. Can be a nice escape route for a bad first name.
    My grandfather was named James Carthel. He went by Carthel, but in that case I think putting it as his middle name was a good choice. Not the kind of name you want to take your chances on the kid liking. Fortunately he did, but on the probable chance that he wouldn't, at least he wouldn't be stuck with it as his first name forever.
    On the note of raising your kid to go by a name that isn't their first name, really pisses me off when parents deliberately choose a nickname for their kids before they're even born. Nicknames are for the kid to pick so that they can have a sliver of choice as to what people call them. Ffs, don't take that right away from them.

#9 findtheakarun, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    potatorose and mkusa like this.
  10. yupitsme

yupitsme Rookie

Currency:
    Not at all weird. I have a habit of renaming people in my head when I don't think their name fits them, or if I forget that name.
    And Sophia is a nice name - I see why it's gotten #1 in the past couple of years - but omg everyone's babies are named Sophia and I get confused :p

My favorite names: Celeste, Skylar/Schuyler, Aria/Arya, Devon, Zane

potatorose likes this.
  11. potatorose

potatorose Newbie

Currency:
    I really like visiting babynamegenie as well specially for my story writing purposes xD

I don't know why but lately I've fallen in love with the name Cythrea Shane T.T

12. shuka

shuka Celebrity

Currency:
    lmao or u could be like cory from 24k's parents
    who named him cory so people could call him "cory-ah"
    [​IMG]

mkusa likes this.
  13. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    Well, this one is applies to me, because that's my situation. I go by my middle name, and sure, I like it. That's what my parents called me.....so it stuck, but I wasn't given a choice. My first name is ok too. But, it has it's constant problems. Long story short, it's a constant struggle to deflect, correct, or just roll with, being called by my first name by strangers. Not that I don't like my name, it's great, but it's just a PITA when it comes to people that don't know me, or legal docs.

Don't do that to a kid.

Edit:

Guy names seem to hold up longer than girl names in western culture. Many of the names of the Christian apostles or Christian new testament authors seems to have held the test of time. Over 2000 years later, they are very common in the west.

Mathew
    Mark
    Luke
    John
    James
    Peter
    Simon
    Timothy
    Andrew
    Bartholemew (Nathanael, Nathan)
    Thaddeus (Jude)
    Not too many Judas' around however. ;)

#13 mkusa, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  14. sicaranghae

sicaranghae Rookie

Currency:
    jessica jung trash
    i thought i was the only weirdo who does that. i have zero interest in ever becoming a parent, but somehow i love looking up baby names. i guess it's because i'm still salty that i have such an old sounding name cause i was named after my great grandmother and now i have to tell everyone that i don't actually go by it. it's even worse when they only know me by my nickname and they just assume my name is elizabeth so they call me that...... stupid jewish traditions

findtheakarun likes this.
  15. stadiarosary

stadiarosary Newbie

Currency:
    I don't know why I just like genderless/unisex names like Leslie, Alexis, Devon, Skylar, Riley, etc.

16. kodoku

kodoku Star

Currency:
    I love love love Japanese names, they're so beautiful and meaningful <3

Emileh likes this.
  17. balla_deer

balla_deer Super Rookie

Currency:
    College Student
    So I'm not really a name nerd but I've always liked mixing random names as a middle schooler- especially when I was playing Sims (still am but they've got normal names now lol)
    Anyway, I've actually got a name for my future kids- is that weird? And they're two names, so they could go with either one of them or a nickname that they make up themselves. I won't be writing one of them but if I'm going to have twins, I'll be naming them Sophia Reese and Ezra Rafael.
    ps: I had no idea that Sophia was such a famous name- heck being number 1 for how many years like what @yupitsme mentioned.

Anyway, other names I'm interested in:
    - Phillip
    - Charles
    - Hugo
    - Julien
    - Laurent
    - Leon
    - Marcel
    - Pierre
    - Euleaf (something I came up with for a girl but I dunno if I'll ever be able to use it outside the world of sims and/or fantasy stories OTL)
    - Kiara
    - Georgina
    - Adelaide
    - Caroline
    - Elise
    - Margaux
    - Odette

18. seonday

seonday Public Figure

Currency:
    Professional sundae maker
    I don't think I'm a name nerd yet, but my friend and I compiled a list of names for our future children. Not sure if that's weird or not.

@findtheakarun It's funny that you mentioned nicknames being chosen by parents, and etc. I'm one of those people whose nickname was picked before I was born. hahaha While I do have nicknames my friends have given me, I just kinda grew into the nickname my parents gave me I guess. Granted, I think my nickname is fine, but eh, it would've been interesting if I had picked it on my own.

My best friend on the other hand has nicknames that other people gave her and she's cool with. I guess it just depends. Especially if you have an awkward nickname, Imma choose my own. lol

19. silveroaksm

silveroaksm Super Rookie

Currency:
    I became a name nerd when I was planning to change my own. I really love the name Natasha and some day when I am finally ready for all the paperwork, I will change my name <3
    people can feel free to suggest me some cute name :3

20. findtheakarun

Currency:
    Professional Sassybish
    Male names have always had less variety and less trendiness than female names. Probably a lot nicer, because when you name your baby you don't have to have the fear in the back of your head that by the time they grow up everyone will think their name is weird. I feel bad for the girls still being named Jacqueline, because I have no doubt that'll be an old ladies' name once they turn 30.

Draft saved Draft deleted