Anime/Manga recommendations?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by dprcream, Sep 15, 2016.

1. RollingGirl023

*BLARES TRUMPET*

imthatxx likes this.
  2. RollingGirl023

I like Aikatsu(All series), Madoka Magica, and Pop Team Epic.

3. karenloveskpop

My favourite of the favourites is Death Parade!! Once I saw a review on it at Eduzaurus.com and I was like "Hmmm not bad...Okaay, let's try it". Then I was fascinated by it)))

4. Scheve

Scheve Trainee

Traveller • Student
    Kami-sama no Iu Toori is a good manga to go for if you guys like horror thriller / survival-ish genre!

5. HornsofLoki

HornsofLoki Rookie

Durarara!!! is one of my favourite animes!

6. HornsofLoki

HornsofLoki Rookie

7. HornsofLoki

HornsofLoki Rookie

8. Hyozan

Hyozan Newbie

Flavors of Youth

9. Vulneraria

Vulneraria Newbie

I finished The Vampire Chronicles Claudia's story, awesome manga artist. Recommended ^__^

RedVelvendetta likes this.
  10. RedVelvendetta

RedVelvendetta Celebrity

I recommend anyone to watch Land of the Lustrous! I usually hate 3D CGI in anime but it's executed so well here and the animation and art are so beautiful. Storyline and characters are memorable and unique. It's definitely my number 1 favorite anime of 2017

11. hrdcorekpophater

basement dweller
    cory in the house

12. PrincessKoriandr

Home Care Provider
    Yu Yu Hakusho is good, BUT LONG. And I like Clamp anime so I'd say Fruits Basket, xxxHolic and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.

13. Jiminify

Jiminify Rookie

Jennie's gummy smile
    Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is the shit also Fairtale, Snow White With Red Hair, Soul Eater, etc

14. CrunchyLegend

CrunchyLegend Trendsetter

Manga recommendations

I like mature and original manga, preferably with a unique art style. I find most manga feels like it's written for kids or teenagers without much imagination, and fan service generally takes precedence over storytelling, so it's pretty hard to find manga I really like, but the few that have managed to grab me I think are really worth reading.

* Warning: some of these (probably most) have fairly graphic depictions of sex, violence, sexual violence, and other adult-themed content. They are not hentai or intended as erotic (with the possible exception of Land of Peace), but if you are not comfortable with this kind of content you should probably not read most of these.

[​IMG]
    Soil, by Atsushi Kaneko
    A very creepy, very messed up, very trippy mystery about weird things going on in a particular town. Maybe the most ambitious manga on this list for the sheer amount of elements being brought into the narrative, including science fiction, horror, comedy, police procedural, drama, and tragedy, rendered in a distinctive, high contrast line-art style by the author.

[​IMG]
    Children of the Sea, by Daisuke Igarashi
    Magical realism at its best, rendered in subtle and beautiful ways as part of a girl's coming of age story.

[​IMG]
    Eden - It's an Endless World, by Hiroki Endo
    A sprawling post-apocalyptic-style sci-fi epic (not zombies) by the author of All-Rounder Meguru. Not without its flaws, it gets fairly silly in some parts and does give into fan service occasionally, but it's still worth reading for how well the writer handles a manga of this scope without losing touch with the individual stories of the many characters that fill this massive landscape.

[​IMG]
    Nijigahara Holograph by Inio Asano
    My favorite manga ever, by the author of Goodnight Punpun and many other brilliant coming of age stories. A subtly creepy illustration of the impact that an isolated event can have on the futures of the people who are directly or indirectly involved in it. At times obscure, the nonlinear narrative style may require some re-reading, but the trip through this manga is worth every second spent on it and more.

[​IMG]
    Freesia, by Jiro Matsumoto
    Matsumoto is the king of WTF, which is my personal favorite genre, and this is my favorite of his completely translated works (translation for Alice in Hell has just picked up again after two years of nothing, so this opinion may change in a few months when it's finished). This story takes place in a society where revenge killings are perfectly legal, and tells the tale of a strange individual who goes to work for an agency that provides such a service.

[​IMG]
    Spiral, by Junji Ito
    A classic from Ito, perhaps the most famous horror mangaka. For my money, this is Ito at his best, with terrifically creepy, sometimes grotesque art that complements a narrative as obsessed with spirals as the people it depicts. That said, the story still suffers from the usual issues that plague all of his work, namely, one-dimensional protagonists who seem to exist only in order to have all kinds of terrible things happen to them. Still, it's a great ride of a story and his best handling of something as large in scope as this manga presents.

[​IMG]
    The Gods Lie, by Kaori Ozaki
    Just a short and bittersweet story of a somewhat unconventional summer romance.

[​IMG]
    Ultra Heaven, by Keiichi Koike
    A story based on a simple premise, that hallucinogenic drugs are legal in the not too distant future. The artwork alone is reason enough to read this, it is absolutely amazing. This manga was never finished, and IMO gets a little silly by the third volume, but is still worth the read for a one of a kind story matched with an unparalleled artistic imagination.

[​IMG]
    I Am a Hero, by Hanazawa Kengo
    Hopeless otaku tries to survive the zombie apocalypse. To be honest, I'm not sure what it is that compelled me to finish this considerably long manga, as I don't think there's necessarily anything new going on compared with the billion other comics, manga, movies, TV shows and video games obsessed with the same topic. Let's just say that the storytelling is pretty good and maybe the characters come across as a bit more human than you might expect. Nothing revolutionary, but fun and even poignant at times.

[​IMG]
    Land of Peace, by Naoki Yamamoto
    At first glance, this comes across as a sex farce, and while this isn't necessarily a wrong impression, it's a great deal more as well. Yamamoto is a master of using sexuality as a counterpoint to the tragedies, injustices, and traumas that life can inflict, and nowhere is the contrast as extreme or poignant as in this bizarre and meandering tale of a girl who arrives in a small town against the backdrop of an ongoing war.

[​IMG]
    Kakegurui, by Homura Kawamoto & Tooru Naomura (ongoing)
    This is the high school manga done properly. Pretty well known due to being adapted as an anime on Netflix and, from what little I've seen of it, it's pretty faithful to the manga. About a school for the elite whose students' lives revolve around high stakes gambling, this story dispenses with the usual tropes and instead fully mobilizes gambling as a multi-faceted metaphor for the ways in which we construct our lives, make decisions, relate to other people, and understand the world around us, all with the pace and tension of an action manga and an above average focus on character development. Brilliantly executed if you care to dig into how the narrative is crafted, still a terrifically fun read if you don't.

[​IMG]
    Onanie Master Kurosawa, by Katsura Ise
    Yes, this story is ostensibly about a school boy with a compulsive masturbation problem. Well, he doesn't see it as a problem, and neither should you, because this manga is not what it would appear to be based on that description alone. It takes a little time to get to the point, but readers who stick with it are rewarded with the best and most honest handling of character development in any manga I've ever read.

[​IMG]
    Homunculus, by Hideo Yamamoto
    This is another weird one, about a man who, following trepanation (the process of drilling a hole into one's skull), starts seeing things. The story that follows is a long examination of his attempt to understand both what he is seeing and who he is, and while I feel the storytelling can be uneven in parts, it is still a compelling examination of how people become defined by the scars left behind by traumatic experiences.

15. Soulless_Senpai

Sana eobsin, Sana mana
    I tried getting into Freesia and had no idea wtf was happening midway through the first chapter lol, maybe I should read it again.

CrunchyLegend likes this.
  16. CrunchyLegend

CrunchyLegend Trendsetter

You might finish it and still feel the same way. You do get a better idea of what's going on as you progress through it and a more structured narrative develops around the particular jobs that he does and other characters enter the picture too, but it's a pretty big commitment if you're not feeling it, it never stops being obscure about some things, and it doesn't wrap everything up neatly in the end either. I love Matsumoto for his weirdness but even more for his ability to contrast the stranger elements with genuine emotion in a way that doesn't lose touch with the humanity of his characters, even if it tends to always focus on varying degrees of the tragic nature of very broken people. So on that point, he definitely succeeds here as in his other works, which is good enough for me, but YMMV of course.

Soulless_Senpai likes this.
  17. mymanga003

mymanga003 Newbie

18. alinarodriguez

I have been binge watching Tokyo Ghoul these days and i must say that it is absolutely amazing. The storyline, the characters and the sountracks are all just too good. But my all time favorite still remains Elfen Lied. Both of these are highly recommended for anyone who is into anime

19. CoolestPolarBear

Well, I'm pretty much a sucker for dark anime, so I recommend the only ones I watched fully: Shiki and Another. Both are horror, but I didn't think they were that scary, just pretty dark-themed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4eejin and kodoku like this.
  20. arpydarpy

arpydarpy Rookie

Gintama is a masterpiece and i highly recommend watching it even though the start is mainly focused on character building and comedy it really picks up after the first 5 eps 2 of which you can skip as they are filler lmao