Anime/Manga recommendations?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by dprcream, Sep 15, 2016.

1. takeheart_bts

takeheart_bts Rookie

Currency:
    If you've grown past shoujo and are looking for manga that's josei and slice of life, look into anything by ikuemi ryo. Her stories are always very angsty and heart-tugging but very subtle.
    Here's some of her best: taiyou ga mite iru, kiyoku yawaku, cousin. Once you start reading one of her works, you will eventually read everything else by her.

Another story I'm reading right now that's blowing me away is Machida Kun no Sekai. I love how the focus isn't on love and I'm still immensely moved by the message the author's trying to send. Sometimes, I think it's the best manga anyone could ever read. It makes you want to be a better person.

For something sweet, lighthearted and angst free, here are two shoujos that never bore me:
    Juuni Hizoku no Palette (i read this one years ago and it still has a deep impression on me)
    Sekai de Ichiban Warui Majo

I hope you make it through everything on the list! Let me know if you end up liking anything.

dprcream likes this.
  2. takeheart_bts

takeheart_bts Rookie

Currency:
    lol sounds like you barely scratched the surface scum of the awesome world of shoujo and josei manga

3. dprcream

dprcream Married to @yoichiidesu

Currency:
    pup dealer
    i used poor girl rich guy as example but there are thousands of other cliches i could list that i'm tired of, they just don't appeal to me i like action

takeheart_bts likes this.
  4. takeheart_bts

takeheart_bts Rookie

Currency:
    Hm well i still hope you would give my suggestions a try, I can say confidently that not a single title i've included is tropey or cliched.

dprcream likes this.
  5. istari

istari Super Rookie

Currency:
    Try:

Sakurako-san no ashimoto ni wa shitai ga umatteiru (A Corpse is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet)
    Genre: Mystery
    Plot: (From Wikipedia) Sakurako Kujō is a genius beauty in her mid-twenties whose life is centered around one thing and one thing only: bones. With little tolerance for others, she would be completely isolated in her study full of skeletons if it weren’t for high school boy Shotaro—her new assistant and constant companion. Why exactly she has taken a shine to him remains a mystery, but one thing is clear: Whenever the two go out together, the chances are high that they will come across a human corpse.
    This anime is extremely underrated. The animation is beautiful, the characters are unique and the plot is also incredibly different to your average mystery manga.

or

Natsume Yuujinchou (Natsume's Book of Friends)

Genre: Fantasy, SliceofLife, Shoujou (although it has no romance), Comedy
    Plot: Just watch it cause it will blow you away
    It has 5 seasons so far with 9-12 episodes in each season (but you don't have to watch all of them) This anime is also extremely underrated. The animation is beautiful, the characters are unique, the character development is also very good. Each episode tells a story that affects the main character's live in some way or another and it teaches us some pretty good morals as well. There is not one episode that I do not like in the series.

6. B_r_u_b_s

B_r_u_b_s Newbie

Currency:
    Being pretty
    I really recomend you to read Orange and Horimiya.
    I love these mangas, I read them recently and I'm in love.
    The story is really good and runs away from the typical cliche.

7. the_suddenlykfan

the_suddenlykfan Trendsetter

Currency:
    I recently discovered this manga and is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. it's called MusSoap and the story is about the adventures of a soap (Soapy) and its master ''Muscle''. it's erotic so watch out if you're not of that type of story but is really funny and if you're girl you'll discover that Soapy is your spirit animal.
    [​IMG]

8. jhopeismyhope94

jhopeismyhope94 Super Rookie

Currency:
    Sistema New Zealand
    yuri on ice
    love stage
    no. 6
    (dont watch these if you dont like gay bc they're all gay)

9. AliceSings

AliceSings Newbie

Currency:
    Snow White with the red hair

10. ExoticQueen

ExoticQueen Leader

Currency:
    '94 Liner Sugar 노나
    I need an anime/manga or dating simulator that involves:
    • male yanderes.
    • Romance w/ male kitsunes
    :yesr:

#50 ExoticQueen, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  11. chiyace

chiyace Newbie

Currency:
    have you watch hunter x hunter? it's shounen!

12. AKPoopy

AKPoopy Newbie

Currency:
    EVERYONE NEEDS TO WATCH KAKEGURUI

CrunchyLegend likes this.
  13. Kib

Kib Rookie

Currency:
    Anyone got some animu's for someone who likes horror/Thriller sides (Not gorey, i wanna be creeped out not grossed out) Not that i mind your occasional gore but it just doesn't do it for me.
    But at the same time I'm your average 20yo girl so i do like some shipping action.
    Anime's I've seen so far
    Kill La Kill (Okay it weirded me out but it was pretty funny)
    FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    SAO (The first arc was good, and it went all downhill from there)
    Elfen Lied (I liked the action and all and the start had me intrigued but the ending was a huge let down)
    Death Note
    Fairy Tail ( Great show ngl)

But just like my non anime shows i don't mind different types of anime though i don't think i would go for shows that purely revolve around romance.

14. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Currency:

Psycho Pass
    is quite great for thriller, has some gore at times, but it's not main thing. It's about this futuristic world where everyone is being monitored closely by goverment and where system decides lot of your life. Main characters of it are police squad who is in charge of taking in- or killing, most dangerous criminals that the automatic system can't catch. I found it quite heavy at times, it's quite violent in psychological way, but if you liked Elfen Lied I think you will be fine ^^;

I think the anime has at least two seasons now, I only watched first one though.

[​IMG]

Monster is one of my favorite thrillers in anime, story is so good and takes you in for a journey. However the animation style is quite non-anime, if you are looking for pretty anime graphics there isn't really those. I can't really open the anime without spoiling the beginnign a bit, but I will try. It's about a doctor who has to face hard choice of which one of the patiets to save and what is morally right.. only to find that choice bite his ass and ruin his life. He then goes into journey of correcting this mistake while everyone else thinks he's going crazy and responsible of some murders happening.

[​IMG]

Third one.. well this doesn't appear as horror nor thriller right away, but MAL says it's thriller and it sure has some suspense as well so:

Madoka Magica, anime about cute magical girls who have to save humans from evil witches while also going to school and settling some friendship issues.. though that's not what's it really about. Being magical girl quickly becomes battle of survival and fate of the world as whole while everything is crumbling around you. Whole point of the anime is that it likes to deceive you while slowly revealing the plot and connecting the dots. It's my favorite anime currently, can't really find fault in it so although it's not most pure horror/thriller, it still has those elements and I recommend it : )

[​IMG]

15. wvnder

wvnder Newbie

Currency:
    sakura trick is a cute anime with a girl x girl relationship and the scenery is magical

16. Thebluecapricorn

Thebluecapricorn Super Rookie

Currency:
    Don't know if this thread is alive, but I need to find a new anime to watch. Last month I finished Another which I really liked. I like shows about supernatural stuff, but romance is okay too if it's not too... cute?

17. Blink_Twice

Blink_Twice Newbie

Currency:
    AJIN on Netflix

18. JinXLuffy

JinXLuffy Rookie

Currency:
    Survivorman
    @propanda i heard the pacing is really really slow for this anime, is there a point where it start so picking up?