Anime/Manga recommendations?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by dprcream, Sep 15, 2016.

1. dprcream

dprcream Married to @yoichiidesu

pup dealer
    I have nothing to watch or read currently, so I was wondering if anyone out there had suggestions.
    Note: I don't like shojo that much because I feel like the stories are the same, but if you have a good one I wouldn't mind trying it out

Jiminify, xoxoshawol and MUSIC_LIFE like this.
  2. imthatxx

imthatxx Rookie

Professional Pokémon Go Player.
    Death Parade, don't read anything about it, just watch it. Only 12 episodes and it's SO good. Fucking amazing. It also has a great soundtrack.

#2 imthatxx, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    DISABLED#1, Taekira and MUSIC_LIFE like this.
  3. adriana12995

adriana12995 Newbie

When I was in middle school and high school I used to love shojo manga but as time went by i realized all the stories were so cheesy and repetitive. There are only a few that I would truly recommend.

Fruits Basket: This is an anime that i would recommend you watch but the manga is so much longer and so much detailed. It will seem like a silly story at first but things get real very soon, especially in the manga.

Bokura ga ita: Another shojo anime/manga. I don't see this anime being mentioned that much in the anime/manga community probably because it is not your typical high school romance with sweet and perfect characters. I like it cause it is pretty realistic, at least in terms of what romance is during our teenage years. I have only watched the anime though.

A victorian romance: (Yes, i love a good romance anime lol). Like the title, this anime is basically about a romance in Victorian London. I haven't found another anime that even slightly resembles this one. Very beautiful.

So I talked a lot about romance, now let's get into more darker titles

Shinsekai Yori (From the New World): This is seriously one of the best anime I have ever watched, and that's a lot coming from me. It basically takes place in a dystopian future in which all humans posses telekinetic powers and grow up in a closed community with rules and with strange rumors and happenings. Truly blew me away.

Psycho Pass: After watching Shinsekai Yori, I was thirsty for more dystopian stuff, so I watched Psycho Pass. It takes place in a dystopian Japan in which a system was developed to determine the criminal intent of each person. Even if you haven't done anything, if this system determines you are a potential threat you will be treated and punished as a criminal. Very interesting anime that makes you really question what is right and wrong.There are two seasons and a movie that ends it.

Boku Dake Inai Michi (The town Where only I am Missing): Just watch this one.

I got a little carried away lol and I still got a lot more recommendations, but then I'll never finish. Here is my animelist if you want to check it out:

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/adriana_12995?status=2

DISABLED#1 likes this.
  4. centen

centen Celebrity

I've been super into World Trigger lately, and I finished Deadman Wonderland maybe a month or two ago. Don't bother with the animes, though. WT's anime art is noticeably inferior to the manga, and they started the anime too quickly after the manga started, so it's already got too much filler for my taste (which is any). DW's anime didn't run very long, so the story never finished, but the manga is complete. It's a nice tight story (58 chapters), so it's pretty to the point and doesn't waste panels on just being needlessly fanservicey or injecting humor where it'd kill the mood. I like WT because although it is somewhat standard shonen, it has a tendency to subvert tropes, so you see the MC fail where of course he would, rather than just the ~power of the heart~ or some such nonsense allowing him to overcome obstacles. And when he does succeed, it feels believable, rather than being protected by Plot Armor.

5. findtheakarun

findtheakarun Super Rookie

Professional Sassybish
    Depends on what you like. I can certainly help you out with finding stuff you haven't seen, but I don't want to drop a pile of slice-of-life on you only to find out you're an action fan.

6. ImDaOne

ImDaOne Married to: @Elizabeth_Xin

Would help if you told what genre you like, ur fav anime, and kind of what have you watched

7. sjhforever

sjhforever Trainee

I'm on the same page with ImDaOne... but I'll try and help anyways... Personally I have always liked the anime/manga where it would focus on a player getting really good (e.g. Hikaru No Go, or the Prince of Tennis) no matter how similar the lines are because they're still different. As to suggestions... I'm not particularly a fan of the current ones just because virtually everything has ecchi or gets boring quickly. I guess I'll suggest things to you I've watched but am not a huge fan of.
    Food wars (shokugeki no soma)
    Accel World (kind of like SAO)
    and I don't remember the exact name but there's a show very similar to Infinite Stratos which is also really good.

8. dprcream

pup dealer
    I like typical shonen, but I wouldn't mind trying something new, as long as it's not some typical lovey-dovey high school love story with a poor girl who works hard and a rich handsome popular cold hearted guy you know?

9. dprcream

pup dealer
    Well, what I like doesn't really matter since I'm looking for something new so any suggestion is welcome, as long as you liked the anime/manga of course! I mostly watched and read shonen anime/manga, but I've also watched other things like Free for example, my fav anime would be either Beelzebub or Naruto. As I said in another reply, I don't like typical high school love stories, that's pretty much it :)

10. katahtattat

Good Night World is a pretty good manga

11. minamitakitty

minamitakitty Rookie

Akatsuki No Yona is sugoi *_* Its a shojo and it is set in a fantasy and ancient era. There's romance, action, blood/killing, adventure, and ikemens ;p The female protagonist is very tough and strong willed, which is quite refreshing. Its a popular manga and there is already an anime out, only one season though. The manga is ongoing, about 129 chapters so far. I highly recommend it ^^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#11 minamitakitty, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Selynn, SwiftFoot, Zeroda and 2 others like this.
  12. ImDaOne

ImDaOne Married to: @Elizabeth_Xin

i'm not a shonen fan (With a few exceptions), i'm more into seinen
    k then there it goes, even if you aren't, i'm gonna act like you're just getting into anime (so i will include obvious ones just in case)
    Obvious ones that for some reason you may have not watched:
    FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (seriously if you haven't watched this then you're missing the all-time most praised Shonen ever lmao, and it's welll deserved, it gets more and more serious with the time like Naruto did) what i loved the most was that it pretty much went from a kind of stereotypical shonen to a complex conspiracy-filled seinen

Hunter X Hunter (2011): if you haven't been spammed to death by other people to watch this, then i will lmfao. It starts kind of slow in comparison to other shonen but it becomes better and better with the time.

Shokugeki No Soma: yes, food, but, somehow, it's still really cool, and i'm rarely surprised by shonen lmao
    Kuroko No Basket: yes, sports, but same as Shokugeki No Soma: somehow, it managed to amaze me

Tengen Toppan Gurren Lagann: stereotypical shonen, but with infinite doses of steroids that make it one of the most epic anime ever for some people, it wasn't to my taste though but literally everyone else loves it

Not-so-known ones yet still known if that even made sense
    D-Gray Man: The character development and evolution are great, the plot gets darker with the time.
    Katekyo Hitman Reborn: it pretty much starts at episode 23 lmfaooooo but it's worth the patience, if you don't mind a lot ridiculousness in between the (Kind of) seriousness the anime didn't finish the story and some say the part that the anime didn't cover was freaking awesome but i haven't read it yet.

Idek if these are considered shonen but are really good
    the Fate Series (Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Zero/ Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks, although i didn't like Stay Night at all, but the rest are straight up amazing)
    GTO: it's old, pretty much just Comedy, and it's a school-based one, the twist is that the teacher is the main character and he's a "reformed" convict lol, but one of the funniest anime i've ever seen tbh

i really am not into shonen lol but somehow i managed to recommend all this haha

then my all-time fave is Code Geass so i'd just recommend it straight away but u said shonen so idk

13. findtheakarun

findtheakarun Super Rookie

Professional Sassybish
    This is a bit of a long-shot, but it's one of my all-time favorites, and if you're looking for something that plays with and makes fun of cliches instead of embracing them it'll definitely be a good watch (albeit a short one).
    Penguin Musume Heart: A web show with 12-minute episodes about a rich, dumb otaku girl and her equally strange friends.
    It's basically one after another in anime and manga references so it's extra fun if you know your stuff, but it's enjoyable one way or the other. No romance involved except for the purpose of weird one-episode plot points and running jokes. It's very far-fetched and over-the-top with its jokes, but not in a cringy way imo.
    Not good if you want something to take seriously. Good if you want something light-hearted and weird for a change of pace.

14. dprcream

pup dealer
    Thanks :) but I don't mind trying something else than shonen, as I said as long as it's not a high school love story with a pretty bubbly girl who doesn't know she's pretty and a hot guy who's cold hearted and popular (not t mention the girl could be like 170cm and weight 40kg... way to go for showing a healthy body image to the young girls reading this!) I'll check out the ones you listed that I haven't read/watched :)

15. dprcream

pup dealer
    Then it's very good for me, after watching attack on titan and tokyo ghoul I think I need something light hearted haha

16. LegendaryTsunade

Stanning the same group forever
    My little monster? I liked that one. And a pretty similar one - Wolf girl and black prince. I'm not really into romantic school anime either but these 2 are exception.

Both anime have a plot of an usual relationship if you can even call it a relationship and there's comedy included. Both are fun, relaxing and intriguing at the same time.

#16 LegendaryTsunade, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  17. MUSIC_LIFE

MUSIC_LIFE Newbie

Music Industry
    These are kinda old I know, but try Nana. The movies are great too. Same with Tomie by Junji Ito

FamilySadist likes this.
  18. FamilySadist

FamilySadist Trainee

Yongbi, Black Clover, Clover (Tetsuhiro Hirakawa), Rikudou, Kingdom, Homunculus, Franken Fran, Sun Ken Rock, Peak, King of Hell, Kokou no Hito, Kangoku Jikken, Shinjuku Swan All of these are manga's if you wanna check out I'm currently reading Bartender and waiting for updates on Kingdom/Hinomaru Zimou/Rikudou XD Combat Continent is pretty good too haha

19. Unspeakable

Unspeakable Rookie

07 - Ghost
    Naruto
    Hikaru No Go
    Major
    Eyeshield 21
    Cage of Eden

They are all shonen though, and in different genres. Some of them contain sports while others are more "fictional".

20. azngrl0302

azngrl0302 Newbie

Kuroshitsuji
    Kamisama Hajimemashite
    Hana to Akuma
    Dengeki Daisy
    Gugure Kokkuri San
    Saiunkoku Monogatari

#20 azngrl0302, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016