Anime: mainstream vs. underrated

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by kpopaye, Jan 19, 2017.

?

Is your favourite anime nugu? lol

1. Nahh

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. some of them

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. yes mostly

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. all of em

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kpopaye

kpopaye Worldwide Star

Currency:
    Girl Group Trash
    Aight so while I think of better topics to make threads about, let's talk about mainstream and underrated but more specially are mainstream anime bad and underrated anime good?.
    yeah I can see the flop thread already,
    but I didn't post yesterday and the kpop section is a mess rn with the troll threads so i'mma just be here till they get their shit together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] @Kpop_Nerd101 please don't cry lol

Let's start with the question 'When is an anime mainstream'?
    IMO an anime is mainstream when it's so popular that when people say 'I havent head of that anime' then other people will be like 'what? are you living under a rock?' kind of thing. you know? I can't really explain it but you know what i mean :dancer:like the naruto, bleach and one piece trinity.

I'm starting to regret this thread already cause it's probably going nowhere rip..

Then 'what is underrated anime?'
    IMO underrated anime is more of an opinion (Mainstream can be opinion too but it is more likely people will agree with you on what is mainstream rather than underrated) and are anime that aren't that popular which you think is really good.:whatr: some may agree on you with and some won't.

but people always seem to deem mainstream anime as 'bad' so would you agree with that?
    people seem to shit on mainstream anime and praise their 'underrated' anime.

My fav anime are mostly mainstream-ish and a little bit of nugu here and there.
    I know i didn't talk about 'overrated' anime because I think that is a different meaning than 'mainstream'.
    To me, mainstream doesn't always have to be bad but usually a bit less popular anime (and preferably not 300+ eps) seem better to me. except some really shit anime out there

yeah........I got nothing else just answer the first question if you want

[​IMG]

apologies for the filler thread lol

the_suddenlykfan and styx like this.
  2. Gigi

Gigi Icon

Currency:
  3. kpopaye

kpopaye Worldwide Star

Currency:
    Girl Group Trash
    GURL I told you not to cry :p *hugs you* there there

styx and Gigi like this.
  4. Erza_Scarlet31

Erza_Scarlet31 Super Rookie

Currency:
    Some of my favorite anime are nugus, yet most of them have made a name for itself.

I have mixed feelings about this topic usually if I like a show i would want it to do well and if they do I feel happy about it. But if it doesn`t and some other show which my seem bad gets more publicity I would feel a bit mad and sad.

styx, koschei and kpopaye like this.
  5. Gigi

Gigi Icon

Currency:
    *sobbing* i-it was s-s-so saddddd:waterr:

styx and kpopaye like this.
  6. kpopaye

kpopaye Worldwide Star

Currency:
    Girl Group Trash
    hmm that's interesting. but ok let me ask you this then; would you feel that way about anything that you like and got overshadowed by something you don't think deserves more popularity? for example: when it comes to other media like music and movies etc.?

styx and Erza_Scarlet31 like this.
  7. Erza_Scarlet31

Erza_Scarlet31 Super Rookie

Currency:
    I would feel a bit mad but nothing else really I won`t get so upset or throw a tantrum.

Ex I don`t really like Exo however it`s obvious that they are doing better then B1A4 of course since I buy B1A4`s albums and support the group I would be sad but that`s about it.

kpopaye and styx like this.
  8. styx

styx Trendsetter

Currency:
    Bleach Naruto etc are deemed bad because of the fillers. I remember a Naruto filler which lasted over 6 months and started in the middle of a fight with madara. Some people were so pissed they left and never picked the anime up again.
    DBZ were deemed bad cuz fight scenes started with muscle flexing that lasted for 3 episodes. and Goku had a grandma voice

I never watched One Piece but that is full of year long fillers too

kpopaye likes this.
  9. the_suddenlykfan

the_suddenlykfan Trendsetter

Currency:
    well, in terms of anime is difficult to separate between mainstream and underrated as well as if its good or bad. the reason for this is that the majority of animes come from successful mangas, (and not only mangas but also graphic novels u other genres)so, when a story has the chance to be animated is beacuse it'll have an audience for granted even if at the end the anime isn't as loyal to its source as it was supposed to. I think that mainstream and underrated animes are equally good, the thing here is the tipe of audience than those animes are directed to.

_Dalnim and kpopaye like this.
  10. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Currency:
    Some mainstream is bad, some good. Goes with underrated as well.

Objectively lot of big popular shonen-animes aren't that good. They have good sides, but they also have lot of boring parts, bad animation, bad pacing, etc. For example Naruto, Bleach, One Piece. They are fine, but there is lot better animes around.

Then to me there is animes that are acknowledged by many as masterpieces. They are popular, because of this too, but they are both. For example Angel Beats!, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Cowboy: Bepop, Madoka Magica..

Then of course there is good series that are awesome, but not many knows about. They often get over-shadowed by other series and aren't made fuzz about so lot of people miss them. For example (in my opinion) Haibane Renmei and Jinrui wa suitai shimashita.. and Kekkaishi as manga (best shonen manga, but sadly nobody knows..).

And then there is bad unknown series that people don't talk about cause they aren't that good.

#10 propanda, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  11. kpopaye

kpopaye Worldwide Star

Currency:
    Girl Group Trash
    yeah ok naruto fillers have no excuse and are a shame :fingerk:
    but I guess with OP and stuff that's just the consequences of having a long run anime? idk I already made a thread about fillers so yeah

styx likes this.
  12. the_suddenlykfan

the_suddenlykfan Trendsetter

Currency:
    Naruto is a good example. it was good at the beginning but then it turned out in crap...

kpopaye likes this.
  13. kpopaye

kpopaye Worldwide Star

Currency:
    Girl Group Trash
    Thanks for saying that :D I think that's an interesting point you made I never really thought about it like that just cause I'm not really aware with the whole manga and light novel things.

the_suddenlykfan likes this.
  14. idcok

idcok A-List

Currency:
    Jonghyun's wife
    I don't watch anime often, but when I do, it's Attack on Titan :cool:

15. Lelurker

Lelurker Rookie

Currency:
    momo stan
    I knew quite a few popular(?) ones that blew up as soon as they got an anime.
    Notable:
    Shokugeki no Soma (read the manga regularly since its first chapter release)
    Akame ga Kill (read the manga regularly after the first 5 chapters released, it was quite a while before it got an anime)

there are more but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

16. RoyalCOOKIE

RoyalCOOKIE Rookie

Currency:
    Please watch Hotarubi No Mori E :)
    It is just a little movie and it's so underrated omg

Did you guys have an animelist ?

17. Mints

Mints Married to @Veatchoi

Currency:
    what makes a mainstream anime 'boring' is most of the time the (same old) 'formula'(?) the anime uses.
    F.e. naruto: boy+not-aknowledged+goal+fight until goal reached+nonexistent-side-love-romance
    but its also the formula to get most of the male fans general public to watch it, and Anime has a higher male percentage than female.
    All of the popular animes around are aimed at the male audience and their interests (male protagonist, male with a harem of women falling in love with him, big breasts, slim figures, 0% love-line until they need to reproduce, ...)
    Due to that, most not-boring-animes are not immediatly popular since they they don't meet the criteria for the general public or simply don't include them.
    btw my loved underrated animes/mangas :
    • seiho high school boys
    • baby steps
    • yankee-kun to megane-chan
    • tasogare otome x amnesia
    • 19 days
    • vagabond
    • koe no katachi

kpopaye likes this.
  18. kpopaye

kpopaye Worldwide Star

Currency:
    Girl Group Trash
    I understand what you mean but then I also wonder, if anime are the same genre then ofc they are gonna be similar to each other with the same thropes like naruto,bleach, one piece they are all shounen so they have the same things.

I hate it when anime is mostly catered towards males tbh fan service makes me wanna throw up sometimes

19. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Currency:
    In terms of anime having bigger male audience.. well not in my country surely, but I think that's true in Japan anyhow. Not sure on other countries. Also it seems like every watches shonen no matter the gender, shoujo stuff isn't very liked within girls in my country at least. Personally I like seinen best from the gender+age demographic, seems to be most diverse of 4 and has best quality really.

Then tropes.. I usually get bored if anime just uses same old tropes. But there is animes that use them cleverly or in some new way, or make parody and fun of those tropes (like One Punch Man). I like when that happens. It's good for anime to be self-aware than just repeating same old without even realizing how cliche it already is.

20. dprcream

dprcream Married to @yoichiidesu

Currency:
    pup dealer
    I guess Beelzebub is pretty nugu? It's my fav anyway