Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

an open discussion on NCT's future

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by noticemesenpai04, May 20, 2018.

1. noticemesenpai04

i've seen ton of mixed opinions around akp and twitter about what they think of NCT's future

i've seen people who are anticipating NCT to get big, while some feel meh about it because apparently the concept is a turn off

what do y'all think?

2. t_aeri

t_aeri Memorable

Only SM can discuss about NCT future though

noticemesenpai04 likes this.
  3. noticemesenpai04

lol tru i meant like predictions

4. xenoblood

xenoblood Rookie

full-time chad
    i think their concept is a turn off to those who aren't as invested into k-pop as we are, or the general public.
    NCT's concept, while not something that is ridiculously complex, is something that you aren't going to understand instantly. it's not like looking at a group like BTS and saying "oh there are 7 members they all sing, end of story." they have this whole concept of alternating members that is significantly more in depth than that - and i don't think thats good for marketing or for appealing to a general public.
    i like NCT, but i can't see them being a particularly huge group with this concept

5. Yabie

Yabie Icon

they gonna be popular, they're from SM after all. every sm bg gets popular after some time.

the subunits tho' i dont think its going to work, maybe thai one might (if there is one)

noticemesenpai04 and I_am_scythe like this.
  6. StrawHat_luffy

StrawHat_luffy Trainee

reading Mangas
    Them having many units is good, Everyone can have a song/s they like form a certain unit/s which will ultimately lead to paying attention to the entire NCT. It will widen the range of fans (ages), genres and every other thing. like think of 7 years from now, the grps that debuted with NCT will start to lose popularity, disband etc. But NCT can still go as strong as ever with new units, members, fans while still having the older fans invested.
    NCT at this point is like a big investment which will bring more huge success later.
    I am really interested to how they grow:D

7. JJBaker

JJBaker Notable

Its already starting to work if you look at there popularity from 1 year ago to now they have got bigger
    I think the unit thing will work after of couple years into the working as there not really units atm just 3 groups and 1 big group
    the routines dont really start until dream members start routing [end of this year]

I dont think nct will be big until another 2 years as they need to add the other units on

and i dont think it matters if korean public like them or not as rotational group as they just need to like the units as theyre groups like wanna one what get popular what dont last forever so i dont think the routines will matter tbh
    plus units like dream wont change every year after they get a full new unit it will most likely stay same for years

and nct u will most likely end up being for members who havent done any other unit work for a while
    [when mark haechan and renjun and chenle go to new units the other members most likely do nct u stuff]

Sayuuu_29 and noticemesenpai04 like this.
  8. noticemesenpai04

very nice insight

StrawHat_luffy likes this.
  9. LuhanHobiarelife

LuhanHobiarelife Celebrity

I dont ever think they will ever be a super top boy group of sm standard or big 3 but they will reach upper average quartile. China unit will be the most successful tho since China=Money

10. Soulless_Senpai

Soulless_Senpai Notable

Brand new D.O fanboy
    SM with this concept has handicapped their potential to a big degree. If you had all of NCT's current discography for a fixed group without any rotation, they'd already be one of the most popular groups atm. The fact that they still have so many stans speaks to their ridiculous talents but it's not easy for a casual listener to get into them instantly.

Also if you're a fan of a member like WinWin or Kun, you can get easily frustrated at not seeing your bias get featured a lot. For Taeyong or Mark stans it's not a problem.

Honestly, their concept is more of SM doing everything they can to have complete control. This way they get to make the NCT brand a draw instead of any particular member. So even if a member leaves it won't affect their bottom line too much like what happened with DBSK.

Good news is they're still increasing their popularity but it's not happening as fast as it usually does for SM groups. They'll likely peak at Shinee levels of popularity and not reach the peak of SNSD, Exo, Suju or TVXQ.

Also their music has this dark, underground, niche vibe most of the time in contrast to other SM groups, except maybe Red Velvet at times.

11. blossom_girl

blossom_girl ᴄ ɪ ᴛ ɪ ᴢ ᴇ ɴ
    Events Team

NCT is a group different from any other kpop group out right now so of course their road to success will be different as well.

There's a lot of factors going against them; their style of music/overall concept and the fact that they're not willing to let go of either of them + unexpected competition like W1 suddenly taking over the scene.

But despite all that their growth has been exponential over the past year. You might think the addition of new members would throw people off but Lucas & Jungwoo brought in TONS of new fans.

Of course we can't predict the future but I'd like to be optimistic and say they're gonna fucking kill it.

12. Seuni33

Seuni33 Trainee

I think SM will focus on promoting them seriously, now that they finished with giving comebacks to older groups. Situation with popularity is same like Red Velvets at beginning. Sm really worked hard on last album but they didn't have song that was truly hit . Cherry Bomb bought a lot of fans so if they continue producing songs like that I am sure that NCT will make it big .

13. thinginthegalaxy

the troll under the bridge
    I think they'll get big. They have a variety of units, with a variety of talents, genres, visuals, ages, and concepts. The units appeal to different demographics, which guarantees some success. However, I think the rotational members part confuses people, which is a downside to the group.

14. zedi

zedi Notable

well the China one will goo big i don't really know about the Japanese unit

15. Sayuuu_29

Sayuuu_29 Rookie

Self-proclaimed Neo City Mom
    I have faith in NCT's future...cause they are the only thing that's holding my kpop life for now. Being more than a decade into Kpop, I have experienced most of the things Kpop fans would have dreamt to do, what I'm looking for Kpop now is something NCT is offering. So, I'm investing so much for them.

It doesnt mean tho that I'm already confident on NCT's success in the future...there will always be pitfalls and drawbacks, and SM is the one managing so I cannot expect anything much and much more. NCT's goals are soooo big and drastic and even risky...I'm afraid of it, Its something new and unheard of but they are willing to go to that path, so I'm thrilled. Thats why, I'll be there for whatever may happen in NCT. Honestly, It's the scariest feeling. But there's thrill and excitement, right? xD

NCT is not just a concept to me. It's a shift. a paradigm shift in Kpop. Its built upon the idea that the generations to come will be expected to carry the paradigm shift to capture the "culture" at which catching up with the "times". In a way, its not meant to die. It's gonna last, the idea's gonna last. (in its absolute sense, provided SM wont mess up LSM-nims plans)

Being with NCT ever since their formation, I saw many types of fans and how they have reacted to NCT's activities so far...
    I've got something to say...

If you are gonna be an akgae,
    If you are a unit supremacist,
    If you are culture/ethnicity/race biased,
    If you are not ready to at least be familiar with 3 mostly used languages,
    If you are not open-minded,
    If you are not flexible enough to changes,
    If you are severely attached to the members,
    If you are always seeing only 2-3 members in NCT,

Then, you will be having a hard time in NCT. A real hard time. This group is not for you.
    If you are ready to embrace this, and some more undiscovered, then it will really test you.

That's why I treasure every NCTzen now and I dont recruit and advertise NCT to others.

My advice if you are planning to stan NCT or are already are but in a confused path,

Just go with the flow, cherish every moment with whatever NCT has to offer, and learn from them.

The future ought to remain bright.

Soulless_Senpai and NCTismylove like this.
  16. NCT_lt3

NCT_lt3 Newbie

Loving Girls' Generation
    I think they will be huge, they are already big in kpop fandom just not in Korea with general public. But they will have many subunits and one subunit doing well will make the whole NCT look better. First good opportunity for that is China unit, if they get big in China, Koreans will hopefully start to open their eyes to see how great and amazing NCT can be.

Sayuuu_29 likes this.
  17. NCTismylove

NCTismylove Rookie

Guuuurl love you for this

idc what people think about NCT
    Just because the concept "seems confusing" they don't like them and have no interest.
    BUT for me because NCT is different in so many ways i love them
    NCT is a new world for me, a new dimension, a new path and a new generation.
    Tbh it would be sooo boring if there would be the same concept for every new boygroups to a point where they no longer shine in their own way and get lost among other groups.
    SM wants to create something new which will be remembered for a long time.
    They want global domination.
    NCT need time to fulfill this vision.
    True it is risky but No risk, no fun
    And i believe they will find success in their OWN way.
    People who don't want to wait for the success can leave everytime.
    True fans will always be by their side.

IMG_1490.PNG
    YUTA IS MY MAAAAAN

NCT_lt3 and Sayuuu_29 like this.
  18. Sayuuu_29

Sayuuu_29 Rookie

Self-proclaimed Neo City Mom
    Awwwwwww I'm glad we think the saame! but your sig thooo, it made me cryy and soft and emo xD I LOVE YUTA SO MUCH

NCTismylove likes this.