"Almost" Hits

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by emanresu, Mar 6, 2018.

1. centen

centen Celebrity

Currency:
    Agreed! Excuse Me is a jam!! Pity there were controversies at the time and it didn't take off.

2. LYNNinyourarea

LYNNinyourarea Public Figure

Currency:
    BTS - Save Me : I know it maybe sounds crazy. I like the song pretty much, but I hate the “save me BIBI” in the chorus. It doesn’t sound that bad, but I hate the word Bibi. It kinda destroys the aesthetics. I would even prefer “Baby” instead of it. I like the line itself a lot, I just hate the word Bibi hahah

Here is a time stamp :

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Red Velvet - Russian Roulette : Many people think that this is the best RV song, but in my opinion it lacks .. power ? It sounds so bland. Sometimes I like to listen to it, but I always have the feeling that it’s kinda bland. Maybe because they sing it so softly

IOI - Very Very : to many repetitive lyrics in the chorus. Way to much “neomu” and “jakku”. It annoys me. I think it always seems like the song writer was pretty lazy, when the whole chorus is basically just one word, but repeated many times
    Other songs that fall into that group :
    Red Velvet - Rookie
    Twice - I’m gonna be a star
    SNSD - Oh
    BLACKPINK - Boombayah : here is it surprisingly not that bad. I actually love the first part after Rosés hignote :
    “BOOMBAYAH. Yah yah yah Boombayah Yah yah yah Boombayah yah yah yah yah~ Boom Boom Ba Boom Boom Ba Boombayah” - but I don’t like the second part always. Sometimes it’s a bit to much for me then. I still really enjoy the song, even though it’s one of my lesser favourite BP ones.

I have a problems with songs that sound like a mashup of different songs and styles. Usually I only like some parts of it and not the whole song, because it doesn’t sound fluid.
    Some examples would be :
    Twice - Signal
    PRISTIN - Wee Woo
    PRISTIN - We Like (even though it sounds a bit better already)

Hyolyn Paradise - Hyolyn is my girl and I really like the bridge of the song. But then the beat drop ? No. Based on the teaser I was expecting some Beyoncé like stuff, but not that hehe

suiram likes this.
  3. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Super Rookie

Currency:
    A song I've been really enjoying lately (and streaming daily to support Momoland!) is 'Bboom Bboom.' But there's one thing that stops me from considering it a favorite, and that's the rap portion. I listen to a lot of Korean hip-hop, and no offense to the girls, but bad idol rappers really turn me off. The transition to the rap segment is jarring in the first place, the attempt at being badass does not succeed, and the end result is an unfortunate sort of intermission in an otherwise awesome song.

Speaking of bad rap, I'm just gonna harp again on a song I absolutely love but which is plagued by the same issue. Repeat offender Minho performs a majestically-awful rap in the middle of SHINee's 'Tell Me What to Do;' it's so bad that the first time I heard it I literally couldn't believe my ears. Key takes over immediately afterwards and raps much more competently, but it's hard to enjoy when you're still reeling from Minho's butchery of his supposed genre. (I love you to pieces, Minho; even though you kinda suck X'D )

Anyway, both really good songs overall! Just... songs that should probably not have included rap segments.

Vikki and centen like this.
  4. jenstals

jenstals Leader

Currency:
    Hate the rap in Bboom Bboom. The song could've done without the rap.

5. Heerayni

Heerayni Idol

Currency:
    VIP Eternal
    Ringa Linga - Taeyang
    Its a good song, but I feel there is too much vocal layering, also I feel like its more of a dance show-case than a vocal show-case song... so yea.. I like it, but it falls a little short of being my fave.

6. JeanaKJY

JeanaKJY Public Figure

Currency:
    Bigbang's Girlfriend is one of my most loved songs especially because of T.O.P's and GD's parts BUT, then there is this weird part in the chorus where their like:

"Yeah, my girlfriend, my girlfriend
    She ain’t no side chick mistress girlfriend
    My girlfriend, my girlfriend
    'Cause there ain’t nothing in the world compare to my girlfriend"

lmao and I'm so confused whether I should die from cringing or have an existential crisis because I actually like it? So this one is definitely an almost hit.

Heerayni likes this.
  7. kodoku

kodoku Star

Currency:
    Twice

surprise_bitch likes this.
  8. misscatievip

misscatievip Super Rookie

Currency:
    Hyorin's One Way Love.... The teaser sounded so freaking good... and then the song was nothing like it

vs

9. lepidoptera

lepidoptera Trainee

Currency:
    BTOB's missing you. I can't stand the rap parts and especially Peniel's. I really liked their GDA performance and was disapointed by the studio version.
    but I still like the song
    for some reason I liked a lot of songs that were on the gda but the studio version just didn't feel like it, for exemple this one or super junior's black suit

#29 lepidoptera, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. surprise_bitch

surprise_bitch Married to: Infire707

Currency:
    broke student
    ok, I thought you were talking f(x) signal
    I was like BiTcH wHerE

kodoku likes this.
  11. lulinolcy24

lulinolcy24 Rookie

Currency:
    IOI - Dreamgirls: That chorus ruined it completely for me (the pre-chorus is the best part)
    Pristin - We like: the pre chorus and hours were really a no no
    Red Velvet - Rookie: everything was so perfect until the chorus
    FX - Red Light: the chorus turned me off real quick (too bad because the rest of the song was real good
    SNSD - Catch me if you can: The chorus drop or whatever that was was so bad it ruined the song for me completely
    2ne1 - Crush: I really don't like the chorus, CL's voice turns me off

12. Vikki

Vikki Married to @Girl_Crush

Currency:
    Time waster
    Teen Top-Love Is and Supa Luv. Love Is is still my favorite song of 2017, but it would be so much better if you took out the bad English. Same with Supa Luv, just why.

13. Heerayni

Heerayni Idol

Currency:
    VIP Eternal
    Oh God you are absolutely right! That melody and arrangement is BOMB! Perhaps my favorite melody after Love dust. But that Chorus is sooo cringey! Also, I actually think this could have been a much better song if the song's subject was anything but girl friend.. It should have been a totally different song! The other night I had this idea that I should try writing lyrics for the melody with a totally different subject.. won't that be fun?

JeanaKJY likes this.
  14. Rand_Al_Thor

Rand_Al_Thor Leader

Currency:
    I almost liked a BB song during made era, some ballad about love ,but then there was the rap that i did not like.
    Honestly i tend to dislike the rap in most ballad/slow songs. I can deal with I's but i would rather it not be there, and Fly works because its in English and i can understand the shade, but again i would rather not have it.

15. callycat97

callycat97 Married to : @LeeriaYa

Currency:
    Winwin's wife

I love the song, but the chorus(?) part. Like at 1:01 and 1:58 mark, that part is just so annoying to me and ruins the song imo.

16. JeanaKJY

JeanaKJY Public Figure

Currency:
    Oh my God, please do and share it with me. I die a little inside every time Girlfriend's chorus comes up. Lmao my bois sound so thirsty in that song xDDDD

17. L_catzzz

L_catzzz Idol

Currency:
    This.

It could have been a hit, but they missed some parts here and there.

18. songqion

songqion Public Figure

Currency:
    Wheein enthusiast
    Red Flavor for me. The song is really good but i just hate the rap part. It was completely unnecessary

19. LYNNinyourarea

LYNNinyourarea Public Figure

Currency:
    Wow they should actually release a rock version of it :D

suiram likes this.