Addressing the 4th Generation issue

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Shookyissuperior, May 12, 2019.

?

Is the 4th generation here/almost here?

1. Yes it is

2. No its far away

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shookyissuperior

Shookyissuperior Super Rookie

Currency:
    A lot of people seem to think the 4th Generation is here or is gonna be her soon but in all honesty I don't think the fourth Generation is anywhere close to happening.Over the years we have all seen the generations change and while the exact dates of when it happens are up for debate there is usually one thing that always happens and that is the decline of the Top groups and the rise of the next top group we saw it when Exo rose to the top of the charts at the beginning of the 3rd and before them when TVXQ started the 2nd generation. Now as for when the 3rd generation will end that another issue as I honestly think the 3rd gen is now starting to peak and Exo and BTS are going nowhere as their fandoms will keep them at the top even through military service whilst Blackpink and Twice have risen to become literal forces that can't be ignored as them just being girl groups anymore. The fact that western fans are becoming more into Kpop is another reason for the 3rd generation remaining as is because unlike the East the West has long grown accustomed to artist having long hiatus for years and returning to dominate the industry so in reality the 4th generation may be put off till one of the giants that currently exist disband and thats probably years away.

Korainism, ThisGuy and vaahiny like this.
  2. Yseki

Yseki Diesel

Currency:
    Being Cute
    4th gen are not here, 3rd gen groups are still the top groups by far and active.

3. RYUJIN

RYUJIN Public Figure

Currency:
    ryujins gf
    actually ur point does make sense. We are probably just going to a new era but not new generation. End of cute era beginning of girl crush era.

4. wememe

wememe Super Rookie

Currency:
    i think four gen is awakening with the start of kpop spreading to the west

3rd gen is still active and thriving, but the fourth gen is a spawn of like society advances (doesnt make yes but roll with it)

5. The_Velvet

The_Velvet Public Figure

Currency:
    You know last generation when EXID and APINK came on to the scene? We’re at that point in the third gen.

ThisGuy likes this.
  6. mintygum

mintygum Newbie

Currency:
    Yeah I think we're still deep in 3rd gen. At least until another group has a shot at overtaking BTS/Twice.

7. fraise09

fraise09 Trainee

Currency:
    The 4th generation already started indeed. The signs are all there.
    -They were mixed up with the 3rd generation for the 2018 year ending ceremonies. The debut of groups such as TXT etc.
    -The decline and beginning of the army enlistment of the 3rd generation (VIXX and EXO)
    -Top groups lack of inspiration music-wise (BTS, BP, TWICE, RV)
    -Also some 3rd gen groups are starting to disband one after another (EXID etc)

I have 2nd gen/3rd gen deja vu.
    Now, I don't think they'd really take off before 2020/2021.
    But the end of the 3rd generation is actually happening, slowly they will fade away.

Korainism and keyboard like this.
  8. vaahiny

vaahiny Trendsetter

Currency:
    eating ants
    I just want to talk about this.
    how is rv lacking inspiration music wise ???? O^O

ThisGuy likes this.
  9. fraise09

fraise09 Trainee

Currency:
    "Power Up" and RBB speak for themselves. Of course, the agency is to blame.

Korainism and ThisGuy like this.
  10. vaahiny

vaahiny Trendsetter

Currency:
    eating ants
    both are very good songs tho ?? what do people find it bad ? Like which part, what thing ???

And did you even checked the mini albums ? With a whole mosquito, mr.E, blue lemonade, taste, butterflies, so good and sassy me, Red Velvet never was that strong, intense and versatile music wise !
    RBB is their best mini album with Rookie, Summer magic is better than the great Red Summer !

the agency is to THANKS.

11. fraise09

fraise09 Trainee

Currency:
    Well I can't speak for everyone of course, but I personally find these songs extrmely loud and noisy. The MV's and outfits were a mess too. And let's not even talk about the repetitive and not far-fetched lyrics. Power Up is extremely low considering what they can do. One thing that particularly disappointed me is the fact that RV is a group which kept improving over the years and when "Bad Boy" was released I thought "that's it. This is it guys, they reached their peak.", finally SM gave them a mature concept which would match with the girls age. So can you imagine how I felt when they released Power Up ? They went from high up to down low and dug their graves deeper with RBB. Why ? Seriously why ?
    And you can tell some members dislike or don't feel comfortable to sing those childish songs (not RBB of course) and felt more comfortable while performing song such as Bad Boy.

I've listened to the full albums too and only like Butterflies and So good. I know RV can do better, they reached their max with Bad Boy. I know it's not the girl's fault but SM and I hope the agency will take their time to reflect now, and give them a proper comeback. They're adult and can't just go back to those childish songs. They have so much potential (the only gg with Mamamoo from this generation). I even believe the fact that they hadn't had a comeback yet is because SM is probably thinking deeply this time. Hopefully they will catch up for their next cb.

12. Yseki

Yseki Diesel

Currency:
    Being Cute
    lmao I liked both of those songs.

으컁컁준수 likes this.
  13. Haolat

Haolat Leader

Currency:
    Yoo Young Jin fan
    I think you have forgotten that RV’s concept is to have the mature and fun side. Everyone keeps saying RV should stick to the mature side but all their success in Korea came from their red side. Even power gave them an all kill. The only flop is RBB.

14. fraise09

fraise09 Trainee

Currency:
    I know they can do fun but even some of their Red sides can be fun without being childish (ex : Ice Cream Cake). And maybe this excuse was fine before, but now they're grown up, so... yeah.

#14 fraise09, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    ThisGuy and Yseki like this.
  15. Bibblessss

Bibblessss Trainee

Currency:
    I feel like it has been starting to fade away and the new generation is already starting.
    Exo who started the 3rd Generation has a member in the army.
    If I am right Jin will enlist next year or the year after that (don't kill me if am wrong).
    and slowly the third generation will fade away and then after most top-ranking 3th generation boy groups have started enlisting, we can decide when the 4th generation really started.

In my opinion, these groups could be considered 4th generation;
    • txt
    • everglow
    • stray kids
    • itzy
    • ateez
    • oneus

fraise09 and Korainism like this.
  16. vaahiny

vaahiny Trendsetter

Currency:
    eating ants
    well okay, I don't find it more "noisy" than rookie, or dumb dumb or bad dracula or so muchof their bsides ! I find it experimental, fun, quirky, wonderfuly performed (the work with their vocals, all of theses harmonies and layes, it's the only group who can do that well in this area O^O) and beautifully produced!
    about the lyrics, then yes, totally, it's repetitive but I liked it a lot, in rbb it seems like a old school horror movie with some stupid american girls screaming and whining all around, and in summer magic it fits perfectly with the minmal 8bit sound, just like in a video game !

Automatic and ootn are not considered mature ????

hm I saw pretty much the contrary....Seulgi (and lowkey Joy) was the only one who seem to be totally happy and convincing with the concept of bad boy, yeri and wendy were especally awkward ut were literally glowing with power up !

So you liked all of rv's albums until theses two ? As rbb and summer magic both have this rv sound, I find it very strange O^O
    rbb is as experimental as rookie and as old school as the perfect red velvet, and summer magic has the energy of the red summer with the twist of russian roulette !

well, I think they're the only group and not just ggroup who has been consistent wiyh quality over the years, mamamoo were my ults at the time but since purple, they just decided to shut up their fantasy and to become generic...they're like the female version of bts !

//////or because they're preparing for their japanese promotion with sappy mini !

(of course I repect your opinion, it's just my thought on it !)

17. fraise09

fraise09 Trainee

Currency:
    You wrote quite a lot so forgive me if I skip some parts, but I'll do my best. Thank you for debating in a civilized way, I appreciate.

-I actually find it more noisy than rookie and dumb dumb (can't believe I'm saying that). People like to call everything weird "quirky" or "experimental" but I think there's a limit to what's acceptable and what's not. And that's something that SM stans reproached to the agency all throughout last year. We know the agency likes to experiment, but this time I think they actually didn't know what to do and I have a solid argument; because they spent 2018 rushing all RV's comebacks to the point I think they lacked of inspiration and thought adding too much layers of random things would do it. It didn't. I know it's the trend currently (at least in Kpop) but that's also an issue, because that's the result they get.

-About the lyrics if only it was repetitive in a positive way, but hearing all along "ba-bananana ba ba banana" or "OH MY GOD ! He's a really Bad Boy" was seriously annoying. And Power Up more than RBB really gave me an headache, so much that after 1 minute I had to quit.

-Of course Automatic and OOTN are mature (their most mature concepts with The Perfect Velvet) but in a sweet/soft and slow way ? This time they went full girl crush, fierce and sexy. Unfortunately Automatic didn't have the same success level as BB on the audience. But I love both concepts (they're my fav songs btw).

-I agree that Seulgi and Joy seemed to enjoy the most but I was thinking more about Irene and Yeri. Except we know that whatever song they would perform on stage, Seulgi always seem to enjoy, so does Wendy. Irene looked clearly the most awkward when performing "Russian Roulette" is was written all over her face. As for yeri it's kinda hard to read her.

-I didn't say I like all their albums, I actually don't and it took me a loooooong time to really get interested about them. I was never into them (still not) but I remember liking their Automatic era then they released Russian Roulette and...I wasn't anymore. Until SM released their Bad Boy concepts photo teasers and videos and while seeing the aesthetics I was in awe and got a good vibe from it, so I knew they'd finally release something according to my standards (and they did!)
    And again they disappointed me with Red Flavor. It's always my problem with this group and mainly why I can't get into them as much as I want, always a hit or miss.

-I actually think the opposite, to me, the group is totally inconsistent (as said above it's always a hit or miss for me). I'm always okay with the unpredictable but enough is enough. I'd rather "stan" them from afar. Since you mentionned Mamamoo I somehow agree. Although I didn't like their latest release, they aren't generic because they stick to their own style and in their range of skills. Yes, they used one mainstream genre for egoistic, tropical EDM, that's right, but at least they rocked it !

One group would fit those criteria and that's BP, I said it multiple times already, but they're the equivalent of BTS right now.

18. 으컁컁준수

으컁컁준수 Worldwide Star

Currency:
    Shinhwa still is making enough money to make comebacks, do regular concerts events, etc. and untile a certain scandal sechskies was doing well with their return as well. totoga 3 and the organisers had to switch venues because H.O.T's reunion concert quickly outosld the expectation by alot. Would you say then that the first gen isn't over?

TVXQ are still bringing in a LOT for SM. other second gen groups still do promo events and have fan meets and all these things. Is the second gen not over yet?

In the east artists still doing things past their peak, it just works differently you do age out of the traditional kpop mold but you still produce fo your fans, if you had enough of them that want you to continue, r you do acting or you do somethings you are still in the public eye, and then have a seemingly out of nowhere comeback to surprise those older fans. I mean of course, this isn't with every group because some groups don't become popular enough for any of this to be feasible . but my point is it hppens enough that the eastern market isn't un used to seeing older idols around and doing things and a comeback would make them happy but it wouldn't be a complete shock. i wouldn't say the forth gen is right around the corner, so i do agree, there is time. but your argument about these 3rd gen groups still being listened to meaning the 3rd gen is still going on, doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it.

19. FatesSoneCardi

FatesSoneCardi Super Rookie

Currency:
    We'll be in gen 4 in two more years. Once the 7 year curse starts affecting big groups

으컁컁준수 likes this.
  20. 으컁컁준수

으컁컁준수 Worldwide Star

Currency:
    Power Up in a way is childish but I feel like you're missing the mark a little bit. It's lyrics are probably the most childish portion, about trying to escape the working world. But a lot of songs have similarly unrealistic themes...mostly about the same things, hating the normal 9 to 5 life , trying to find a soul mate and that true love. yet a loy of these are just framed as idealism not childishness. Even though you could call both either one.

there are some childhood references within the video to further get some nostalgia vibe across, so It is a bit childish but I feel that it captures this "childish" ness simply by being fun. It's not childish in an exaggerated way. It's not childish in the dance or the vocals and they aren't doing lots of exaggerated cutesy aegyo and there aren't any crazy childish props.

I feel like childish is the wrong word, because even though its not 'wrong' per se. the only element of chilhood and childishness it captures is the one of just having fun. which does have child-ish vibe, but compared to the fairly normal aspects of the rest of the song, i wouldn't say its overly done, it sound like any other summer song nothing too childish. I'd say its an idealistic song before saying its a childish one.

^and if you disagree with me thats fine i gues but my bigger issue, much bigger, is that your example for fun without being childish is ice cream cake? I'm laughing so hard i can't even breath. Ice cream cake is childish to its very core. though its still a great song

#20 으컁컁준수, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    blueflavor likes this.