actually underrated disney movie?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by maya2003s, Oct 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. fantasygoose

fantasygoose Trendsetter

Currency:
    Writer and Bookbinder
    Probably Robin Hood.

2. sandybee3

sandybee3 Celebrity

Currency:
    What are the criterias?

3. Lovingmemoria

Lovingmemoria Trainee

Currency:
    The hunchback of Notredame, if it was released nowdays it woudn't be family friendly.
    Still amazing

egoisticlc and theseagoat like this.
  4. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Rookie

Currency:
    Procrastinator
    Tron: Legacy - Bombed at the box office. Per wikipedia - with a budget of 170M, it was only able to earn 400M and it died quickly. The sequel's a decade or two late as far as mainstream consciousness go. The tech's there, it was actually visually amazing, and it wasn't that bad and had a solid soundtrack. The 3D's alright too as this showed up when every film production wanted in on the fad. If the third film is greenlit, it would probably ignore or retcon this one.

The Princess and the Frog - I remember the film got quickly overshadowed by Avatar in the box office. I don't think anybody expected that film to do so well. It did well for a hand-drawn film which were few and far in between especially in the west for nearly two decades now. This was actually an entertaining movie. I saw this with my nieces back then and went in thinking I'd be bored out of my mind but found it quite good.

Treasure Planet - The quintessential underrated Disney film. Tanked really hard. After this, Disney became more reluctant producing hand-drawn feature film. Why it did so has always been a head-scratcher. It was a good movie and as far as the animation go with it's hybrid CG and traditional, it was seamless. I remember being commissioned to do an art for a fan of the film, probably one of the first paid commission I did so it kinda has a place in my heart outside of the film itself.

John Carter - I really enjoyed this one despite the running time. It could have probably done with maybe 15 - 20 minutes less. Divisive as far as critics go and between this film and The Lone Ranger, Disney lost a lot of money.

5. ChoIzanami

ChoIzanami Newbie

Currency:
    Student
    Big Hero 6

The film was totally overshadowed by the release of Frozen shortly after. Which is a good movie, no doubt.
    But I liked Big Hero 6 way better. Not only did I like the fusion between American and Asien flair in the world building, I also loved the diversity the characters had. Hiro is one of the rare asian leads in a Disney film and I also think, he's the first japanese lead in a Disney film. I loved that the heros consist out of such diverse people: White, black, asian, orphans, rich people, outcasts, rebels. Plus a robot.
    But mostly I liked the way the film depicted the themes of grief, depression, care and moving on. And it does so in a careful and sensitive way.
    I like that it takes two people consumed by grief and shows their way of dealing with it. It shows Hiros grief and the way Baymax tries to deal with it in a very natural way and not as something "unnormal" or "bad". I especially love the moment he tells Hiro not be ashamed of crying and that it's natural to cry when you feel pain, clearly referring to "pain" also as the mental pain that Hiro feels. Baymax tries to thread his depression like every other health problem and not marking it as something bad or evil. Although Hiro has a phase during the film, in which his anger, hate and desire for revenge consumes him and leads him to turn Baymax into a Battle Robot, the care and help of his friends brings him back and makes him think about what he almost did. It prevents him to turn into a second Callaghan, who tried to deal with his loss all on his own. The fight between Hiro and Callaghan is also a fight between Hiros wish to keep Tadashis legacy close and his depression over loosing someone. Callaghan is one of these antagonists that you hate, but you can also understand. He's not a bad guy to the bone, who does stuff out of egoistic reasons, but out of beeing left alone with his anger and grief. He just doesn't know how to fill the void his daughter left inside of him.
    Baymax as a character not only symbolizes Hiros state and the inner voice we all hear from time to time. But he also stands for the people around a depressive person and shows that caring and beeing there is so important.
    A very important message in a world, where more and more people struggle with themselves and get rejected for "acting up" when they ask for help.

6. TastyButtercream

TastyButtercream Married to @RxRedTx

Currency:
    Subaru Sakamaki and Ray Blackwell's baby
    Robin Hood (my fave), The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Princess and The Frog.

7. callinadword01

Currency:
    digitalmarketer
    that

8. callinadword01

Currency:
    digitalmarketer
    good thanks

ChoIzanami likes this.
  9. LatzyKook

LatzyKook Newbie

Currency:
    Being Sarcastic
    For me hands down, The Sword in the Stone or The Emperors New Groove.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shybn likes this.
  10. shybn

shybn Rookie

Currency:
    a shy being (shybn)
    Brother Bear, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Treasure Planet

11. shybn

shybn Rookie

Currency:
    a shy being (shybn)

yeah this too..

12. soshilovelife

Currency:
    I love Atlantis, Milo is my nerd cartoon crush lol

shybn likes this.
  13. egoisticlc

egoisticlc Newbie

Currency:
    The character must be human, or human-like in the cases of Ariel, and formally Tinkerbell. The character should not have been introduced into a sequel. The character should be born royal, married royal, or has performed an act of heroism in cases of Mulan and Moana.

14. shybn

shybn Rookie

Currency:
    a shy being (shybn)
    me too

soshilovelife likes this.