A Learner's Guide to K-pop #17: WTF IS RANIA?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by T_T_Official, Dec 14, 2018.

?

Favorite member?

1. Yijo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Joy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Riko

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jooyi (Lucy)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Di

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. T-ae

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Xia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Yina (Saem)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Alexandra Reid

100.0%
  10. Hyeme

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Zi,U (Seulji)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Yumin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Jieun

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Ttabo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Namfon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. T_T_Official

T_T_Official Trainee

[​IMG]
    (WELCOME BACK TO A LEARNER'S GUIDE TO K-POP ALL! I have returned from my cave of solitude after months and months, and I'm ready to continue educating the new and old generation on the lovely thing we know as K-pop. Hopefully, you're all ready for this, I know I am.)

In the early 90's we were introduced to a company called DR Music, who produced a group that we know now as Baby V.O.X. A major influence in girl groups, and a large contender against Fin.K.L and S.E.S at the time. And surprisingly, they lasted just as long, going until 2006, with slight lineup changes. The ride was outstanding, and DR definitely wanted to keep on riding on that popularity. And they would use any method possible.

To do this, they introduced the 2nd generation, Baby V.O.X Re.V, in 2007. But after only 2 albums, they mysteriously faded out, and DR never showed them again after 2009. But that didn't stop them. They decided it was time for a 3rd generation of Baby V.O.X. One that would exceed many of our expectations in good and bad ways. DR collaborated with American producer, Teddy Riley, who selected 8 members for this group: Saem, Lucy, Riko, Joy, Di, T-ae, Xia, and Sarah. Shortly before debut however, Sarah left the lineup, and was replaced with Chinese member, Yijo. Lucy had also changed her stage name to Jooyi.
    And with this, Rania debuted on April 6, 2011, with their 1st mini-album, "Teddy Riley, the First Expansion In Asia," and its title track, "Dr Feel Good." The song was originally given to Lady Gaga, but was instead given to them in unknown circumstances.

Yijo was absent from concerts due to issues with her Visa, and eventually left Rania later that year, but that was the least of DR's worries. The debut was met with lots of controversies for its provocative image, and because of this, outfits and choreography.
    And not long after, Riley cancelled their American debut and announced he wanted nothing more to do with the group saying:

"I wish them the best. It's not the girls I dislike, I love Rania, they would be better with me at SM Entertainment. Their manager does shady business, used me for my music. I love Rania, I just don't like their company business. That's why they are not getting bigger. They don't do business upfront. They used my name every where then back door me on the group. It's ok if they will regret it. If they leave that company, I will sign them up quickly. Please know the facts before attacking me. Attack their company. Such great talent will be wasted if they don't get better support."

Following these events, Rania still continued where they were with 7 members and in 2012, released Pop Pop Pop as part of their 2nd EP, Time to Rock Da Show.

Like its predecessor, it didn't chart, and the group lost another member as Joy's home was affected by a flood in Thailand. On Twitter she later stated "...I’ve been thinking about it for months. I think I can't go back to stand on that place anymore. [...] I can't go back anymore.…I think I can't be in the entertainment [industry] or back to be a singer anymore since I was sick..."

After the release of the group's first studio album, "Just Go (Goodbye's the New Hello)" in 2013, the group was to be contracted by Fireworks to make the long-awaited US debut that Riley never was able to provide. The debut was continuiously delayed however, to the point where updates stopped releasing, despite an American TV show on MTV, and planned collaborations with Snoop Dogg and 2 Chainz.

At the end of the year, Riko was removed from the group as she had been on hiatus for a long period, and DR could no longer afford to pay her salary while she was inactive She would be replaced by Sharon Park (who would leave in April 2015 without ever seeing debut.) From here, the group remained inactive for a very long period, to where it almost seemed no immediate comeback would ever happen again. However, at the end of 2015, almost 2 years after their last release, it was announced the group would have a 6 member comeback.

With Saem and Jooyi leaving the group, 3 new members would take their place: Seulji, Hyeme, and Alexandra Reid. The latter was of non-Asian/African American descent, the first black K-pop group member. On November 6, Rania made their first (and only) comeback with this lineup using Mini-album, Demonstrate.

The release of this new album was negatively recieved for the fact that it was promoted as "Rania Five" and that Alex was absent physically from the music video, had few lines, and in most live performances, didn't appear with the group for a majority of the song. (Coincidence? I think not.)

Shortly after the end of promotions, the last 3 remaining members of the debut lineup, Di, T-ae, and Xia, all left DR, and once again, DR made extensive lineup changes to the group, adding new members Yumin and Ttabo, as well as former member Saem (Now Yina.) Seulji also changed her name to Zi.U, and the group was now officially: BP Rania (Black Pearl Rania, named after Alex's dark skin. You get where this is going too, right?)

BP Rania made its "debut" on December 30, 2016, with "Start A Fire," in which Alex did get a music video appearance, but rarely with the group, and was still absent mostly from choreography. However, she was fully present in performances for the other promotional track, Make Me Ah. The album was released in 60 countries.

Yina announced she was leaving the group (thus the end of Rania's debut lineup officially,) and the remaining 6 members released their album "Refreshed 7th," and title track, Beep Beep Beep. Alex was almost completely omitted from the comeback, fans saying that she spent most time "standing off to the side," as the other members performed. Alex left BP Rania on August 19, saying on Twitter in reference to the label, "People think they can push you around, take advantage of you, manipulate you, violate you then throw you in the trash and walk. Dead wrong." Despite these, she has said she has had good and close relationships with her former bandmates.

As of this come back, BP Rania has not made any releases.

With Alex now gone, the group changed its name back to Rania, and a new album was announced in June, though it never released. Member Yumin announced her departure in early 2018, and was replaced by member Namfon, who has yet to debut. Ttabo also left in November 2018 to follow a full time acting career.

For those who were unable to keep up with the member changes in this article, Rania currently only has 4 members: Jieun, Zi.U, Hyeme, and Namfon.
    [​IMG]

If I had any info wrong in this, please let me know, and I will correct it. Any group or soloist you want me to talk about? Let me know below! 90's, today, I do it all!

Also HUGE thank you to everyone who's stuck with ALGTK, because now I'm back full time (I hope) and you might be getting alot more articles in the future, who knows? Requests are available, just make sure to check out the guidelines thread first:
    https://www.allkpop.com/forum/threads/a-learners-guide-to-k-pop-guidelines.141550/

Pommier and WINWINlucas122 like this.
  2. WINWINlucas122

@ireneisbaee
    RANIAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa