2nd VS 3rd generation idols and success!

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by sonemariam, May 1, 2018.

1. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    Currently, social media is considered one of the reasons why many Kpop acts are successful. So this got me curious, how did the 2nd generation idols become successful when social media wasn't that much of a thing like it is today?

Many new generation idol stans hate it when someone says social media contributes to the success of their favs, something that older idols didn't have so much.

How did huge acts like Bigbang, Suju, TVXQ, Snsd, Shinee, Kara etc succeed? Those who were into Kpop then please tell everyone.

NoCookie90, Kaikat, magito and 2 others like this.
  2. luvTWICE5H

luvTWICE5H Married to : @SaviorTwice

Currency:
    Twice sexy Secretary( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Im ready to sip some tea.

3. lighterxx

lighterxx Married to : @twentyonejongdae

Currency:
    believe it or not

i found them social media too lol

4. Jack_Pink

Jack_Pink Super Rookie

Currency:
    it was social media too, but it wasn't as significant as it is today

5. Multifandom_hoe

Currency:
    Army cult leader
    Wow. Second generation didnt have access to social media at all, thank goodness for istone or else we wouldn't have been able to watch their music videos or even see them promote.

Darn 3rd generation and their silver spoon with all the YouTube , Twitter and shit...they couldnt have had it any easier.

6. Abeamus

Abeamus Married to @Couponski

Currency:
    Radio, TV shows etc, same ways as 1st generation would until the rise of YouTube and such

7. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    Personally I got into Kpop through watching kdramas, loving OSTs and searching about Yoona and Krystal.

lighterxx likes this.
  8. Doyoung

Doyoung Super Rookie

Currency:
    I was in the 3rd grade when I first started to know Kpop, and 2ne1's current song that year was really popular. (I forgot the title, I'm so sorry) and also Wonder Girls' Nobody was such a hit. I found all of them on YouTube (social media). I think both generations are doing great so far, it's just that people more likely changed their style/preference/taste in music so I'm not surprised if one particular group is getting lots of attention because of their music.

Welcome to another episode of: Unrelated comment to the thread season 2.

Kaikat and sonemariam like this.
  9. RavenHikari

RavenHikari Married to : @InSFCube

Currency:
    Loves Adu's Voice
    Youtube recommendations and through Friends.
    Oh yeah and Myspace.​

sonemariam likes this.
  10. legendjekki

legendjekki Celebrity

Currency:
    H.O.T Promoter
    it depends. Most of the second gen. started gaining fans i korea, with thier music, shows, music show performances, radio. If you had not the populairty in your home country it was hard on the group. Tough thanks to BoA and TVXQ the japan market was opend where many idols try their way too. Like Kara was the most succesful Korean GG there in Japan.

sonemariam and Lost_in_Paradise like this.
  11. soshilovelife

Currency:
    It was through my friends and then internet.

The difference between then and now is that we were still getting the hold.of it when we found these artists.

Now social media is practically an extension of our bodies and lives.

So yes social.media contributes to the spread of kpop in the 2nd generation too.

The only difference is that now there are people who seem to have made their mission to post and repost everything related to their faves 25/8.

Rainbow_unicorn and sonemariam like this.
  12. Darkyoda

Darkyoda Brightest Golden Star

Currency:
    Buddy Gang
    The market was way less saturated than it is today so whenever groups debut, there would be news about it and people would just check them out. Also, those days, music shows were actually watched and radio played a big role too. What I did was wait for someone to post something on Soompi and then I'd watch xD

There was also this site dedicated to international Sones, I stayed there for updates. This was all before stuff like Twitter blew up. Translations were son hard to get too. Omg our struggle those days xD

13. Joasebastian

Joasebastian Trainee

Currency:
    The same think I posted in another thread I ll post it here...
    2nd generation didn't ve social media is a myth which kpop fans believe I dunno how..
    Majority of snsd joined insta around 2013,
    GD and BIGBANG members joined insta and tWITTER in 2012
    Superjunior joined insta in 2014...
    And in these years they were already famous thanKS to YouTube ( already famous celebrity joining a social media)

Now coming to 3 rd Generation
    EXO memberz joined insta around 2014 ( not sure)
    BTS joined Twitter in 2012
    Seventeen MONSTAX iKON winner might be joined social media in the past two/ three years..
    One example- using one gropg from. Each Generation

Gdragon had 8 million followers in 2017 and BTS surpassed him in 2017 after bbma
    Both GD n BTS joined Twitter in 2012 ( but GD was highest followed Korean celebrity including politician and Koran actorS) until 2017
    Untill BBMA happend ( may 2017) BTS had only 4 million followers for the whole GROUP compared to gdragon ( may 2017) who individually had 8 million followers..

Now tell me social media helped whom , GD In.This case .
    If at all wings didn't chart at 26 in BILLBOARD 200 ,BTS would ve never got nominated, n would vd never one even if they had active social media followers they need to cajrt to get nominated ( for the ones that think too social artist is just twitter mentions) also would ve never surpassed gd social media followers

Now coming to YouTube with the same groups
    2018 April ( BIGBANG was the group with more views ) until BTS broke that record ..Now that's also social media..

Y'all project like 2 nd generation groups were never exposed to social media at all n they became famous only for their music ...The very first time I noticed two second generation groups were through YouTube ( BIGBANG for boys over flowers parody , shinee for hello baby) I saw both through social media variety

14. LadyS

LadyS Leader

Currency:
    The difference between “back then” and “now” is just the speed at which you load the MV pls

YouTube was already a thing by 2006

Internet was already a thing by 2000s

Guys the 2nd generation is not the 90s I don’t knkw why you all are fixed on that

MOEBIUS and AmmaAffa like this.
  15. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    Yes however some groups were already successful across Asia before 2012, Snsd went huge in 2009 and I think social media didn't play a huge role but it did for them from 2012 onwards.

Therefore, the use of social media now is not how it was then. There was social media but idols mainly succeeded through radio, TV, variety shows, tours in other countries, etc. And for Japan, BoA and TVXQ mainly spread Kpop with their debut there and it was rough, which is not the case now.

#15 sonemariam, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  16. searchme

searchme Public Figure

Currency:
    Mediaplay via television/media apperances plus their looks and personalities were more marketed as unique compared to now.

MOEBIUS, soshilovelife and sonemariam like this.
  17. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    That makes sense.

18. austen

austen Rookie

Currency:
    lol who is that dancing

lighterxx likes this.
  19. Joasebastian

Joasebastian Trainee

Currency:
    U r proving my point, 2nd generation were already famous by whatever means u said,...After the mainstream social media s contribution to kpop( which is y projected 2012 as.an example) ...Like u said, 2.nd generation groups are active even now...Social media is helping them even now...
    If at all you are gonna talk about effect of social media...First generation are the only one that made their names themselves without social media....( Coz success in 1st generation groups success were seen based on physical units..Since streaming platforms aka social media platforms were not available)..
    Which is not the case for 2 nd generation , because they had the most benefits with social streaming/ aka the digital era is kpop...
    Socail media prime time was 2009 With YouTube , twitter tater insta greeting famous around 2012..Y I'm citing this is coz,.around 2009-12 second generation were ruling kpop international scene n 3 rd generation were just starting ..
    Also by the debut of 3 rd Generation groups kpop, started saturating already coz of large kpop group debuts n more competition and also these survival show's make it difficult for groups...
    During 2 nd generation SM JYP YG were ruling , agencies like FNC, cube ,woolim all some of the non three companies with well known groups ,which literally indicates competition was low,

But now in 3rd Generation , u can see pledis, bighit, brand-new, starship, jellyfish, source music, kpop is wildly branching which makes it difficult for 3 rd generation ( including 3 rd generation groups from big3)..

In conclusion- 2 nd generation famous groups with less competition , social media was prevalent but they didn't utilise it...

3 rd generation with heavy competition also every 3rd generation groups is in social media...

Social media only helps u, it doesn't determine how much u succeed...By ur logic even 2nd generation groups are using their sns well in 2018..They r already famous , so social media should help boost their popularity , but that's not happening...

MOEBIUS likes this.
  20. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    I agree, 2nd generation didn't utilise social media like 3rd generation to do well, and my point is they still did well with minimal use of social media.

While I agree that 1st generation idols didn't use social media to succeed, there are some 2nd generation idols who also made it without relying on social media. I gave you and example of BoA and TVXQ in Japan. They performed on streets and did all kinds of stuff to get known which is not the case for 3rd generation idols. That's my point.

So when someone says social media has contributed a lot to the success of 3rd generation than 2nd generation idols, that's what it means and it's not a shade, well at least to me, I don't know why some people don't want to hear it.