2nd 3rd gen GG equivalences

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Hopkinz, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Hopkinz

Hopkinz Idol

SNSD/Twice - 9 members, NGG, similar concepts
    2NE1/Black Pink - this comparison just writes itself
    f(x)/Red Velvet - 5 members, SM, "experimental"
    Miss A/Itzy - JYP, super popular debut
    Apink/Gfriend - 6 members, lots of their songs kinda sound the same, super popular
    Sistar/Mamamoo - 4 members, large female fandom, sexy woman empowerment concepts
    4minute/(G)I-dle - CUBE, popular debut, the rival girl crush concept, one member that gets pushed a lot
    T-ara/Momoland - viral hit, Shinsadong Tiger, added members after debut, hated on for false rumors
    Rainbow/CLC - 7 members, inconsistent concept changes, for some reason never really popular
    Hello Venus/Weki Meki - Fantagio, individual member more popular than the group itself
    Dal*Shabet/April - leader left soon after debut, really good but not popular, most popular lineup is 6 members
    After School/Pristin - Pledis, hiatus, large group, had a sub-unit
    9muses/Gugudan - From 9 members to 8, member more popular than group itself, refrence the #9 in their name
    Davichi/Bolbbalgan4 - duo, digital monsters
    Tahiti/Berry Good - huge lineup change but eventually a stable lineup, not popular but manage to survive longer than most nugus
    RaNia/Badkiz - Promising start, constant lineup changes, group name change, nugu but never disbands, 0 original members

Anhybody else?

#1 Hopkinz, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    ajimenez, ThisGuy, lcFury0828 and 5 others like this.
  2. Xaxaveryfunny

Xaxaveryfunny Super Rookie

Not valid enough, the gen 3 group need to end up like their gen 2 counterpart or have similar scandal to make this valid and we all know how good the gen 2 controversy is.

L_catzzz likes this.
  3. alexkat

alexkat Trainee

Im sorry but SNSD is not the equivalent of Twice at least for now.

The true measure for me of being a legendary group is that each member should also be known individually and should be able to branch out from the group and still be successful (SNSD, BigBang etc.). A lot of casual kpop fans today cant even remember the name of all Twice members I bet.

Twice is the closest to SnSD on the 3rd gen but still not their equivalent for now.

4. Icaro_Ribeiro

Icaro_Ribeiro Trendsetter

Web Developer
    Accurate except T-ARA/Momoland

Plus I think Mamamoo has more to do with BEG than Sistar, but both match

ThisGuy and IJustLoveLay like this.
  5. BlackBlossomCYT

BlackBlossomCYT Trendsetter

Professional Donghun Stan
    RaNia/BADKIZ - Lineup changes literally once every month, never got popular but managed to survive for so long, not having an original member after all these lineup changes eventually changed their names (RaNia to BP RaNia, BADKIZ to Hot Place)

Hopkinz likes this.
  6. Lisaaaaa

Lisaaaaa Celebrity

Full Time BLINK
    Your list makes sense but as far as I know G-IDLE has like three members that get pushed a lot.

bluelemonade likes this.
  7. Hopkinz

Hopkinz Idol

I mean T-ara was WAY more popular than Momoland but both groups got popular because of their viral dances and catchy songs (both discographies are pretty much produced by Shinsadong Tiger too)

8. Hopkinz

Hopkinz Idol

Soyeon gets centre position the most (and rightfully so), then Soojin would be the equivalence of Jiyoon who was also centre a lot but wasn't as popular.

ThisGuy likes this.
  9. Lisaaaaa

Lisaaaaa Celebrity

Full Time BLINK
    Yeah, but I thought Soojin was a looot more popular nowadays. At least more popular than she was at debut. Cube seems to be trying to push her as the next Hyuna with all that sexiness, if she continues down this path, then one day she can overtake Soyeon and even YuQi

10. Hopkinz

Hopkinz Idol

I think she's already overtaken Yuqi lol, but I see your point. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Lisaaaaa likes this.
  11. Hopkinz

Hopkinz Idol

Added to the list

BlackBlossomCYT likes this.
  12. 555_others

555_others Public Figure

Except Blackpink members are more well known that twice members, and thus similar with snsd for that.
    Jenchu in sk
    Lisa internationally
    And Rosé popular in singer world with mentions from iu, btob, Eric nam, taeyang, etc

ThisGuy likes this.
  13. Hopkinz

Hopkinz Idol

ummm...no
    I guess I'm gonna have to explain the comparisons because Blinks are in denial

CL=Jennie; popular leader rapper
    Park Bom=Rose; unique voice lead vocal
    Dara=Jisoo; pretty visual that doesn't get many lines
    Minzy=Lisa; main dancer maknae who also raps
    song= produced by Teddy
    concept=girl crush
    Company=YG
    amonut of members= 4
    I could keep going

All the members of 2NE1 were also popular, not sure why people are pretending they weren't
    Not all members of SNSD were THAT popular, only Taeyeon was able to have major success as a solo artist. I'm sure the general public knew as many Twice members at Twice's peak as they knew SNSD members at their peak.

14. icyruios

icyruios Super Rookie

Would Sistar be more comparable to Mamamoo or Red Velvet?

Sistar and Mamamoo both have 4 members and are praised for their vocals and stage presence. Both also have the mature sexy vibe to them and success level wise they are similar.

Sistar and Red Velvet both have the 'summer-ish' songs like Touch My Body/Loving You and Red Flavor/Power Up as well as the 'sexy' songs like Alone/I Like That and Bad Boy. Success wise I'm not sure because it's debatable whether Sistar during their peak was as popular as Red Velvet at their peak.

15. Hopkinz

Hopkinz Idol

I think it would kinda be a stretch to say Red Velvet and Sistar are comparable. Musically they're just too different and their vibes are totally different. Sistar pretty much never did the cute concept where as Red Velvet does it 50% of the time. Red Velvet are just too youthful while Sistar was all about maturity and there are so many more parallels between them and Mamamoo, including their rise to fame. Now for f(x) and Red Velvet, that is a much more accurate comparison. Just listen to these two songs

Also, I'd argue Sistar was just as popular if not more popular than Red Velvet at their peak. Every comeback from 2011-2017 peaked at #1 on the Gaon Charts. Every. single. one. Tbh I can't think of any other girl group that has been able to do this.

ThisGuy likes this.
  16. blueflavor

blueflavor Celebrity

f(x) makes a lot of sense but I also thought of Red Velvet/Wonder Girls both had distinct concepts but was able to stretch that concept out in completely different comebacks?
    also not a GG but
    CHungha/Lee Hyori - Soloist that came from popular GGs that had solo careers that rivaled with Popular idol groups?

ThisGuy likes this.
  17. topsyoxy

topsyoxy Public Figure

She hasn't, when the girls went to New York, Yuqi had the loudest screams. She's has largest international fans out of everyone in the group, did that chinese show, and is apart of this new variety show too. Yuqi does a lot of variety shows. Soojin has the most viewed fancams, but she's not that popular internationally and a lot of her fans are korean, however, she is not the most popular in korea.

18. Hopkinz

Hopkinz Idol

I think f(x) is a more accurate comparison. With Wonder Girls, they're kinda strange. Their popularity was because of the retro concept and no 3rd gen GG has stuck with a retro concept consistently. Also Wonder Girls lowkey had lots of lineup changes and still remained popular. Then there's also the band thing which was super unique. I don't think there has been any other group with a similar career. The only thing I can think of is AOA who is like the reverse of Wonder Girls.

Chungha and Lee Hyori is a good one. Sunmi as well fits into this category.

ThisGuy and blueflavor like this.