Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

[Review] Muses Diary Part 2: Identity

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Lovely_Cornchips, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Lovely_Cornchips

I am supremely bored right now and will most likely be studying all day
    so I felt like just posting a serious thread for once.

This is just my opinion don't take it so seriously okay?
    Feel free to express your opinion down below as well.

I am skipping the Intro as it is just an instrumental.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Remember: 2.5/5
    So the beginning of this song ultimately really intrigued me. I thought it was going to be one of those songs that start off with a very chill and slow sound and then transitions into a very powerful and impactful chorus. Then when the girls' transition into the "Lonely Lonely Lonely Lonely" parts I thought for sure my assumption was correct. The chorus starts off for me very well but then it kind of drops down with a very loud instrumental that kind of overlaps that vocals till the power vocals break past it. I enjoy the instrumental at this part-but that is really all I like.

The chorus felt as though it wasn't impactful, the only part that sounds fairly catchy is the instrumental playing in the background. On top of this, the chorus felt as though it was about a minute long instead of a short catchy part that helped the song to get stuck in your head.

Also, the rap was a part of the song I thoroughly enjoyed-I thought it was dark, heavy and very sultry sounding. Now the high notes near the ending were great, but I feel like they weren't strong enough to make it sound like the concluding part of the song in all honesty. They were pulled off well, but not well enough for it to feel like that should be the ending chorus-once again the instrumental, the chorus, and those high notes seemed to clash weirdly.

Pastry: 3/5
    Very chill song. It gives me a throwback feel for some reason. This song contains a lot of falsetto lines and parts. It kind of falls along the line of Remember in that the versuses are very chill and slow. Then the bridge picks up slightly and goes up high note wise. Then the chorus hits and they go higher and more upbeat than the bridge. While I do feel like this could be on the catchier side of this album, I for some reason can't see myself singing this song nor remembering it specifically.

It's fairly generic when it comes to girl group sounds or styles so it isn't too memorable despite being an all around good song. Though I do feel as though the rap doesn't exactly fit in with this type of song. It seemed to have an opposite feel from the light-hearted and upbeat bridge and chorus.

Two of Us: 2/5
    Starts off a bit faster paced than the last two songs.

This song has too much going on for me personally, the instrumental is very fast paced and on the louder side of things. This kind of throws me off, the voices and the instrumental once again feel as though they are clashing and for me, it doesn't work well. I do believe the song could be a hit though if they lessened the instrumentals impact a bit more if possible, but I'm no expert so who knows I'm probably completely wrong on this subject matter.

The "die da da da die" part could be extremely catchy and addictive but the rest of the song does nothing for me. Also the high note here sounds more strained than in the other songs.

Hate Me: 4/5
    This starts off giving me jazzy vibes right off the bat.

I thought I might dislike this song because it's a bit on the slower side. But I think this might be my favorite song from the album. The instrumental seems to work with their voices here, the chill, slow vibe of this song really works for me. It may not be the most catchy song on the album but honestly, I think it is for me. Just the slyly shoving in the "Hate Me"s throughout the instrumental and backing. Then having the slow decline of certain notes that is so beyond smooth, no over the top high notes, nothing about this song really bothers me actually.

Only problem is it isn't addictive so it most likely will not be going on my playlist for 2017.

OVERALL RANKING: 2.8
    I honestly think nine muses is onto something with that last track. I do prefer their songs like ticket/wild/dolls. Some of those may actually hold a bit of a jazzy feel as well-but I honestly think their voices and tones really fit the style of Hate Me. Slower, chiller, jazzy, and smooth as all hell. I enjoyed that track the most on this album. But most of the other songs were forgettable even if they weren't bad songs in particular.

ladydahlia629 and LovelySerenity like this.
  2. ladydahlia629

ladydahlia629 Entertainer

As harsh as this review seems to be and I love Nine Muses, I actually do agree that this album wasn't exactly the best especially with 3 of the tracks being forgettable (even the title track). The only two songs I ended up liking the most was "Hate Me" and "Pastry" (even though the rap from that song was way out of place). Plus I really felt like they just randomly threw in some tracks that they believe are good and call this a mini album because I felt like they rushed on this album and not really giving it so much effort into it.

Lovely_Cornchips likes this.
  3. Lovely_Cornchips

Yeah, I honestly wish the best for these girls as I've known them since debut. But this comeback wasn't as good as I was anticipating which honestly sucks because they deserve recognition and love and support. But I'm not exactly sure releasing these kinds of songs was the best choice for them. Hate Me honestly fit their voices really well, and Pastry was my second favorite on this mini as well-so it seems like you and I are on the same page there.

ladydahlia629 likes this.
  4. ladydahlia629

ladydahlia629 Entertainer

That is what I thought too and I was also low-key annoyed for the fact that Sungah wasn't going to be involved with this comeback since she wanted go on hiatus because she wants to work as a DJ (even though I feel like something else is going on here between her and Star Empire). I could be better to label this as a Nine Muses A comeback, but I don't think it would have made a difference if they released these songs or similar songs of the same quality. Well I just hope for the best for Nine Muses and I hope they do get some attention from this comeback either way.

Lovely_Cornchips likes this.