Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

REAL REASONS WHY MINZY LEFT 2NE1

Discussion in 'Celebrity Gossip' started by yourboyziky, Jun 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. yourboyziky

yourboyziky Trainee

This article was taken from a Korean portal site and since it was fully in Korean, I asked my Korean friend to translate the whole article for me. His English was terrible (sorry Ha Neul), so I wrote this article based on the original article without changing any meaning. This article was taken down 3-4 hours after published online after receiving hate comments towards 2NE1 and Park Bom by the K-Netizens.

Why Minzy left 2NE1?

In 2013, CL got offered to sign with School Boy Records in US but she turned down the offer. But the following year, she got another offer to sign with the same label, School Boy and this time, CL decided to give it a try. And this was before 2NE1 came back with CRUSH album.
    During All or Nothing tour, CL’s teammate, Park Bom received hate as she was accused to import drugs into Korea but after legal investigations made by the local police and government, it was found out to be fake. Later, Park Bom decided to reflect her behaviour and stop all the promotions.

During 2NE1 hiatus, in 2014, CL went to the States to record songs, work with different music producers and travel to different countries to receive demos and record in studios. This time, CL thought to bring the whole group to the States to make an American album after shemade her debut.

Months later, after the intention to debut in America was made, CL’s teammate, Minzy decided to produce and write songs in English and this was for practice purposes. Since she was the only member who does not fluent in English, she befriended with an American musician, Kloe Shinn and she helped Minzy to sing in English, the pronunciations etc. But Minzy failed.

YG knew 2NE1 won’t be popular in Korea after controversies here and there, and with two members in the group are in theirs 30s, he let them to debut in the US. Later, with the help ofSchool Boy Records and CL herself, 2NE1 got an offer to sign with Capitol records, and their song, I Am the Best was sent to the local radio for American audience.

In order to make a fast progress towards their American album, CL’s teammate, Sandara Park went to LA to record songs with CL while Minzy and Park Bom recorded songs in Korea. This time, Minzy showed lack of passion in singing English and their recording progress for the album stopped. Months later, Minzy removed ‘21’ from her Instagram username.

Knowing 2NE1 won’t be promoting in Korea anymore, Minzy decided to continue her studies and opened her own dance academy and these caused some worries for the other members. Soon, CL decided to sign a solo contract with YG while Sandara Park put herself into acting and do variety shows, in case 2NE1 might be disbanded.

In 2015, CL asked YG to let 2NE1 perform at MAMA as it might be Minzy’s last performance with them. Later, YG and MAMA agreed. So they performed their last stage with Minzy, and as expected, Minzy gave her all during that performance and blew everyone away.

Minzy’s departure from the group made official in 2016 and 2NE1 will continue as a 3-member group.

Losing a member caused disaster as during recording sessions, YG wasn’t satisfied with 2NE1 as three. He felt something was missing. So, his idea was to add an additional member into the group but 2NE1 totally against the idea. CL posted, “too much on my plate” but later deleted, while Sandara Park posted “healing”.

But there are some speculations saying that Minzy might be joining 2NE1 back although she signed with different agency.

What are your thoughts? Is this article real? Cause it looks like it might be true! Comments below !

asukaRyuu, lavendergurl, NORM and 3 others like this.
  2. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Artist

Does make a lot of sense

simplyme, asukaRyuu, uchechi and 6 others like this.
  3. polca

polca Artist

i still see 2ne1 as anything but ruined. korean people need to get over nitpicking everyone's mistakes. to call bom a druggie is stupid because newsflash: People use drugs to deal with certain medical conditions and not just for recreation and abuse. she might have violated korean airport flying laws but that should only inhibit her ability to go through customs easily/she will need documenting, not ruin her music career. knetz slander and spew defamation on the daily so as always, kpop fans treat artists like they're their slave or something.

let the court deal with this and enjoy the music. stop trying to control/ruin other people's lives because you have a superiority complex :rolleyes:

simplyme, NORM, heyjude00 and 5 others like this.
  4. propanda

propanda Moderator
    Staff Member

Well it's probably fake, just some conspiracy theory or sth, but it does sound sth that might have happened. It's pretty clear that Minzy at least experimented with music, released some bits online and likely wanted to solo debut.

5. Otaku124

Otaku124 Artist

Yeah I feel like there is lots of truths in there..but I don't agree with the last part..Chances of Minzy joining them while being in another agency looks slim to me.

6. heyitsmejoshyb

Yeah. This article does make a lot of sense why Minzy left. After the MAMA performance, she even posted a selca of herself with captions "Mission Accomplished" or something like that. And yeah, I do think that 2NE1 members are against the idea of adding a new member because that would really change their course. Look at KARA. They were on top. Even to the level of 2NE1 and SNSD. But when Nicole and Jiyoung left and Youngji was added, their ranking decreased. It's because adding a new member is like creating a whole new group. I think YGent is not doing a really great job since 2015 except Big Bang, AKMU, and Lee Hi of course. They screwed Winner by underpromoting them and they overhyped iKON which I'm not a very big fan of. Seems to me that time has changed the course of History and now, JYPent and SMent are doing it right this year unlike before where YGent seems to do everything right (Released the best album of 2NE1, CRUSH etc.)

NightDay1, Wurmalde and giselle_yo like this.
  7. blip_fan10

blip_fan10 Super Rookie

Hardly. I mean IKON did amazing last year. They did better than most old groups digitally and did unusually well physically for a YG group. It's strange that some I fans can't see that they're incredibly popular in both Korea and China and swept all the rookie awards for the first time since Shinee. Plus YG recorded its highest ever revenue in the first quarter of the year and last year they beat SM in terms of net profit. The public still sees YG as a stamp of quality music. It's hard to rip that away.

I hope with Minzy it becomes like 2AM. They promote together but do their solo stuff under different agencies.

8. Otaku124

Otaku124 Artist

o_O IKON?
    I think your comment was directed to @heyitsmejoshyb :p

9. Cindyann

Cindyann Entertainer

10. heyitsmejoshyb

Yes. But they always promote iKON instead of also balancing the focus on their other talented acts like Lee Hi (Been on Hiatus for almost 2 years), AKMU or even Winner. I know they are a company that is in it for quality so they release their artist for a very long time but clearly, it's becoming ineffective already especially those Who's Next teasers. Lots of netizens are getting tired of it already like they commented "We already know it's iKON again". I am not a fan of iKON because of certain reasons but I love YG for promoting them but he needs to promote the others the way he promotes iKON too. And iKON is not doing really well in the charts imo. (For their song #WYD) etc.

NightDay1 and Cylix like this.
  11. aquamaraqua

aquamaraqua Artist

Article seems too perfect to be true.

NightDay1, its_zo and ThisGuy like this.
  12. Otaku124

Otaku124 Artist

I'm not too up to date with IKON and charts but apparently #WYD was not even promoted and just a digital release but ranked second behind Block B for highest digital ranking so far this year. They are even higher than BTS :confused:. At this rate I really don't understand whether people hate or love that group TBH.
    http://www.allkpop.com/forum/threads/kpkf-more-digital-rankings-of-boy-groups-in-this-year.14949/

asukaRyuu likes this.
  13. forever_ot9

forever_ot9 Trainee

Sounds legit.

14. Cylix

Cylix Super Rookie

Preach it.
    He literally lets some of his best and most talented artists rot. Seriously, he has such talented artists attached to his company and does nothing about them. I mean sure AKMU, Winner and Lee Hi might had their comebacks this year, but Lord knows when they'll have one again. I'm really done with YG when it comes to promotions. Last year he spammed so many Big Bang comebacks (not that I mind tbh, but still unfair to others) and since iKON debuted, they had more comebacks than Winner (the latter stayed dry for two years with only a few songs, Jesus.)

In all honesty, I think one of the reasons Minzy left is because she didn't have the opportunity to make a comeback, solo or not. Besides, the above reasons presented in the article, I think if I was Minzy I would have also left. If I have things to offer and they do not let me express them, then I guess I should bid farewell for my own good, isn't it? As it seems, it's YG not handling his artists well in the end.

15. BlingingJams

Park Bom should sue hateful netizens now tbh.... Enough is enough

16. masayume_chasing

This is the only sentence that doesn't make sense to me, why would she leave YG in the first place then? Couldn't she do what Gain did (being in group under one company and doing solo in another)? She obviously did have some personal reasons for leaving YG and no one can blame her 'cause yeah, YG never treated her the way she deserved.
    The other things seem really valid, the big age gap between members was always the biggest threat for 2NE1 and YG could either try to promote them in America (which he was trying, but of course we've never got to see the fruits of their work except some will.i.am features) or maybe do a CL/Minzy sub-unit.

YG is not doing a really great job waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before 2015. When I think about it, his marketing tactics have become shitty since PSY's Gangnam Style - I don't know if that's a coincidence or not, but in previous years as far as I can remember he wasn't such a big troll and dissapoinment as he is now. But in previous years he didn't have as much artist as he has now so that could also be one of the reason.

NightDay1 and unicornbitch like this.
  17. teeweetime

teeweetime Rookie

The contents of the article do make sense and I can definitely see why she would leave. It's a little disappointing how the other members now have to take the flak for it . And of course, YG is a huge factor in this situation.

Still, I really love Minzy and if she does decide to rejoin 2NE1 (please), I will be THE happiest Blackjack ever.

its_zo likes this.
  18. greenbrick

greenbrick Trainee

Make sense but to me it lacks in some parts making it sound in short like this: Minzy left because she can't sing in English. Imo singers can learn pronunciation if properly motivated, she had enough time to do it - so she was not motivated for reasons not mentioned here.

NightDay1 likes this.
  19. rosie993

rosie993 Rookie

Honestly, my theory was - all of 2NE1 were slated to debut in the US but then something changed and they only wanted to sign CL and she decided to go it alone and bring the members after her. OR nothing was happening for her and she didn't see any point in re-signing. I just can't see Minzy not being 'motivated' she's really hard working. I think an american debut was getting less and less likely for her and she didn't want to waste any more time on it. She wanted to promote in Korea.

NightDay1 likes this.
  20. OneTwoTrees

OneTwoTrees Artist

Minzy left is because we're planning to create a group together.

I really want to apologize to every Blackjack for the mess I created