Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Is EXO a disappointment to SM?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by ripiasuju, May 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ripiasuju

ripiasuju Legend

[​IMG]

When SM debuted Exo this was their plan to take over asia, basically do what DB5K did in their prime, and even 'worldwide'

SM gambled all their profts made from TVXQ/SNSD/SUJU onto Exo, here is a recap of their debut..

A million teasers (expensive too)

3 expensive music videos which needed to be filmed TWICE and all the advertising in the world.

Despite their heavy efforts EXO didnt debut as great as they thought, even the likes of winner had more impact.

Now fast forward, in 2013 this was finally the year for EXO, SM shoved Exo down all of our throats, spending a lot in the process and finally got their hit with Growl.. and selling 1 million albums, growl sold 2 million digitally, exo were at their peak here, so the only place from here is to grow right?

Wrong, even tho SM basically gave Exo all of super juniors and tvxqs fans that year because they withheld them from promoting and only promoted groups nobody cares about like shinee, their impact from there on was meh.

Exo got labeled one of the most boring idol groups for having zero variety skills, and tryhard members like Baekhyun and Chanyeol and the kings of lipsync since they have no stage presence and can barley sing without cracking, despite having the best training available in K-pop, exo really were not impressive to anyone, and even now they cant compare to shinee/suju/tvxq live.

Despite the disrespect Exo got, they were still on the rise, but in 2014 they didnt earn more proft than super Junior OR Tvxq, despite the constant promotion.. they are winning all the daesangs but what good are they to SM's profit?

2015 was a good year for EXO they seemed to do well with their sales and tours but they also had lost 3 popular members, and even if their sales didnt get affected their general acceptance did, and their songs Call me baby and love me right were really cringeworthy, and definitely made zero impact outside asia.

Now 2016 has got to be the WORST and most EMBARASSING year for Exo, theres not much competition, infinite/shinee are past their prime and yet their physicals stayed exactly the same, and their songs flopped hard.

They come out with these tryhard vixx wannabe concepts in a desperate attempt to win fangirls over.

But they didnt win anyone over, in fact they probably made them lose fans, and lets not even mention Lucky one.

Bts came out of nowhere and sold MORE physically and more digitally? Where did BTS come from? YG? No, they came from nowhere, and they outsold exo? The group that barely worked hard and had SM hand them everything?

If you ask me, bts mere presence in kpop is embarassing to Exo.

Exo's album sales literally stayed the same for 3 years, all around 1.1mill, they dont grow at all, and bts album sales went from around 500k, to 1.5 million in under a year.. their digitals for the songs Blood sweat and tears, fire and spring day have easily outsold monster and Lotto.

And this is not even the worst part, SUJU and TVXQ are in the army so SM need more profit than usual so they use Exo.

They gave EXO a million hit osts, 3 albums, Japanese promotions, even a sub unit!!!!

And SM's proft went lower? EXO couldn't even make up for their abcence, by now EXO should be touring Japan and selling out huge tours everywhere their album sales should be at 2 million logically..

[​IMG]

But EXO have just faded despite only being 5 years in, when super junior was 5 years in, 2010 they were bigger, tvxq were bigger in 2008, but EXO are losing to some random group like bts.

Overall SM's initial plan was for them to take over asia, and that influence make them take over America, europe, south America..but now in 2017, all we have is a group who can only get hits by doing osts from hit shows and and accumulate 1 million digitals from the same few thousand fans streaming. Showing no signs of growth fandom wise too, and their profits being meh since they cant make up for their 'has been' seniors absence.

For all that was built into EXO and with the track record SM has, creating legends like TVXQ and SNSD only 5 years in, and EXO arent taking over anyone, they are not even very big in China and their American presence compared to BTS is a joke. (Also bts song BST outsold every Exo japanese single)

Imo EXO is a disappointment, and i believe SM would have been better off promoting the groups they had then debuting them.

What do you think?

TLDR; SM wanted exo to take over the world, and make up for their seniors absence, but it didnt happen, now exo are not slaying despite only being 5 years in, and bts is embarassing them.

#1 ripiasuju, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    husena, FranF45, styx and 10 others like this.
  2. junmoneyyyy

junmoneyyyy Super Rookie

Is this even a real thread?

3. Crazy_Dog

Crazy_Dog Star

4. crackquake

crackquake Artist

5. gdhimu

gdhimu Artist

Lol. Why don't you stop shading exo?

More like when will you. Looks like you gonna be an exoL soon like you became an army after shading BTS for months lmao

But only read your last and first paragraphs and skipped in middle. It's so long

But I have a question why you shade exo? Why you have negative opinion on them?

6. dotsit1999

dotsit1999 Entertainer

Ahhhhhhh i am not getting into this one......
    . WpJbg.gif

7. melidaa

melidaa Artist

I swear I have a migrane from all the bs..

8. kashchanocchi

kashchanocchi Artist

this was an interesting read tbh
    I like Exo and I think they've already achieved enough lol let's not get greedy
    personally I'm fine with them not taking over the world.

they're big enough already
    bigger fandoms get annoying real quick

9. Okay017

Okay017 Trainee

Well, though I am army I believe that Exo are quite talented individuals. They have potential for a higher growth. I think one of the main reasons though why currently BTS keeps on growing while EXO stays dormant is because like what you said, everything is handed on to them. Their songs, choregraphies, productions etc. They are only labelled as idols/entairtainers not true artists.

But they have a lot of potential to do these things by themseleves, to show their creativity, it's just SM wont let them due to the risk of it turning into a flop.
    Thus EXO stay the same, they have no room to grow because they are bound to be this one specific ideal group SM wants.

Bighit on the other hand let BTS experiment and go through trials and errors producing songs of which allowed BTS to grow and showcase their original potential that got them to become a kpop artist in the first place. But its not only BTS as a group that went through trial and error, but also the staff.

Because they are a small company they let their staff grow creatively in producing songs. The staff stay the same but they improve on each song they create because they learn more as they produce or compose a song etc.

Just like how a trainee worker at first is hired for their potential but lack in showcasing that potential because they dont know as much as those who have worked in the industry for a long time. But then after a while, just like everybody, they learn to do everything just as good as everyone else.

Because of this you can see the vast imrpovement from their first albums to the current albums like you never walk alone. This is something of which SM lacks because they only hire the "best" for each song. They dont try to let their staff grow. Just like how they don't let EXO grow.

Now the as for the reason why unlike Suju, TVXQ and SHINee, EXO isnt doing as well is probably because TVXQ and Suju was at the time managed by Lee Soo Man, of which who probably made them work their asses off and not hand everything by the golden platter, which allowed these groups to grow their potential as group. I'm not saying EXO doesnt work hard or their untalented, i'm basically just saying if they weren't always stuffed the golden spoon by SM's new manageman, they would probably have shown more growth in their original potential. EXO would probably grow bigger if they were just given space to grow like BTS. And yeah... Basically yeah. U know thats it lol. This is just my opinion so yeah...

FranF45, andisa, jagerjack and 11 others like this.
  10. takeheart_bts

takeheart_bts Super Rookie

She/He's an army?? I couldn't tell from the first post at all..

#10 takeheart_bts, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    WHY_SO_SERIOUS17 likes this.
  11. _Dalnim

_Dalnim Artist

Lmao ripia :teeheek: and you even tagged the mods :teeheek: (don't ban him, the forum will get boring again:waterr:)
    Edit: oh so it's thanks to mafia game, then it's all good ;)
    This :teeheek::teeheek::teeheek:

:fingerk: that's a bullshit and u know it

It's because of SM station and NCT. SNSD were on hiatus too.

12. YGDUNGEONVRP

YGDUNGEONVRP Legend

btw for everyone.

this is the free shade topic he won from the mafia game, so no point on reporting him.

and tbh ripia got some truth, exo stalled hard these 5 years, while groups like bts managed to do a 200% sales jump.

FranF45, andisa, Gukkieboo and 5 others like this.
  13. _Dalnim

_Dalnim Artist

Like 90 % of the other idols, it's kpop after all, it's not that deep tbh (look at some other currently extremly popular groups)

14. Myrhia

Myrhia Star

LMAO Did Cube give u his Bashing Allowance from Mafia? XD

15. WHY_SO_SERIOUS17

WHY_SO_SERIOUS17 Entertainer

16. takeheart_bts

takeheart_bts Super Rookie

I have a hard time understanding your last paragraph. How was the way tvxq and suju managed different from exo? Also, even though i appreciate how much bts seems to have a hand in their music, that's definitely not the only reason their fandom is growing so fast (I won't go into detail as everyone knows). I think the reason exo started declining is because of the songs. Just like when snsd songs started to turn to shit. That's a tell tale sign of sm slowly killing their cash cow to make way for the new groups. Problem is rv and nct kinda flopped, so that was a stupid move. I remember there was a time that snsd just seemed to get better and better with every comeback and everyone looked forward to their next song. They seemed so invincible. Back then there was none of that self producing idol expectation. I think it's kinda sad that the industry is demanding more and more of their idols. Now you have to be able to choreograph, produce and write songs, have variety skills. Bts's success is basically ushering in a new era and exo looks jaded in this era.

FranF45, imquinquin, madeluxe and 2 others like this.
  17. gdhimu

gdhimu Artist

Yes he is .he announced it in one of his recent posts.

takeheart_bts and soshilovelife like this.
  18. Myrhia

Myrhia Star

Lol he got a dare lmao. Only thing he is is a once[apart from being an SM and crayon pop stan]

gdhimu likes this.
  19. Myrhia

Myrhia Star

No u r right lmao he's not

_Dalnim likes this.
  20. Jesusagrees

Jesusagrees Artist