Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

GFriend proves SNSD praise is fake?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Drew_B_Part_2, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Drew_B_Part_2

Drew_B_Part_2 Artist

I want everyone here to understand something.

All this "SNSD are our idols. We look up to them" crap that new girl groups love to throw out there is just that, crap.

Cause it's just not true. All it is is more of that mandatory praise and respect that juniors are suppose to have for their seniors in everyday life in Korea.

These new girl groups just don't care. And that's okay. Their record labels are forcing them to praise SNSD just to make themselves look good. That's what's not okay. Forcing groups to be fake before they even debut.

So GFriend didn't go hang out with SNSD. Big whoop. But when word got out about this kind of "disrespect" GFriend felt sorry for them and visited with them the next day. How pathetic.

I also think everyone except Nayeon in Twice isn't much of a fan either. But since JYP has respect for SM he made sure Twice sang their praises every chance they got.

I'm not hating on SNSD I'm just starting to realize the truth. SNSD isn't relevant with today's girl groups. And ten years from now the new groups probably will think even less of Twice.

Sephir8, inverity and eager_beaver like this.
  2. Darkyoda47

Darkyoda47 Legend

It's like high school. Do the freshman like the seniors? No. Do they kiss ass and show respect to the seniors? Yes.

3. jimeous

jimeous Artist

4. kddicted

kddicted Star

I like girl groups but honestly I'm on snsd's side for this one

5. kddicted

kddicted Star

Momo's an exception, she really is a big fan

6. jasmine_s

jasmine_s Entertainer

Can someone tell me what happened? Because I kept hearing about this yet I dunno what's going on.

7. FTJ

FTJ Rookie

Gfriend are fine. Though there are a couple professed Taeyeon super fans who didn't even bother to clap after her performance here.

8. Glensather

Glensather Artist

I dunno. Maybe?
    I don't think Hyo's tweet got that much traction tbh. One Pann post and some i-fans getting mad on Twitter was probably beneath most groups' notice. I doubt GFriend even saw any of it (Umji might have maybe depending on how active she is on social media, but that's a huge maybe, and SouMu in general doesn't seem too concerned about what the internet has to say). Not to say that makes the cake they delivered any more or less "genuine", and tbh if they were aware of any of the stuff said on Pann and stan Twitter they probably wouldn't have done something so blatantly obvious.

I think k-netz treatment of Umji soured the company as a whole on social media, which is why the group mostly sticks to Instagram and VLive now, where you'll mostly just find fans.

I will agree that most groups probably don't look up to SNSD as much as they pretend to. More likely, they're seen as relics of a past era (and given how fast the industry moves, relic is probably the best term for it in this case). You'll notice that often SNSD is the only 2nd Generation GG anyone talks about. Even Twice mentions them more than, say, Wonder Girls, which is arguably more of an influence on them than SNSD was, given company ties.

Boy groups do the same thing. They focus on one or two big name groups to say they are "inspired by" (often TVXQ or Big Bang), and the rest rarely get a mention. Chances are, they probably don't care.

There are probably a million reasons why that I'm far too tired to talk about now.

Chances are, groups like Twice and GFriend and Lovelyz, or even Red Velvet, are fans of SNSD but not, like, rabidly so, or as much as this place or other people think they need to be for various reasons.

But in the case of the other day, a reminder that during the waiting period before the end of the show, GFriend wasn't even in the building during that time period, and before they had a chance to greet SNSD during the announcement of the winner, the girls had already left. I'm pretty sure the cake thing was supposed to be for that day, not the next one.

But it's whatever. They didn't greet EXO either and just walked on by (then again, I don't think the 3rd generation in general is too big about that stuff since A. they seem to be the source of the problem according to a lot of seniors and B. If EXO so much as locks eyes with a girl both parties would get a shitload of hate).

Personally I think it's all just poorly timed media play. Bad on SouMu for not paying attention to the Internet.

9. Glensather

Glensather Artist

See that's not right either.
    If we're gonna go through and throw under the bus every time an idol doesn't clap or wave or lose their shit or whatever every time they see their biases, we're gonna be here all night.

10. jimeous

jimeous Artist

She isn't an exception, Sana's audition was Mr Taxi.

There are videos of Mina doing SNSD dances due to the group's popularity in Japan.

Marianthi, shubhajan, Eithra and 3 others like this.
  11. FTJ

FTJ Rookie

With the album giving controversy, if the only people that gave you an album and greeting were your company juniors then the industry culture has changed. Because doing greetings that way requires the company to teach that and the managers to prepare albums and then the members to write notes and sign the albums.

But clapping at an awards show where you're given seats that are publicly viewable? C'mon, that's basic etiquette that requires 0 preparation.

Soohyeyoo, persona1418 and Eithra like this.
  12. kddicted

kddicted Star

I know all this :) It's gfriend I'm iffy about

Eithra and jimeous like this.
  13. jasmine_s

jasmine_s Entertainer

Try being an idol who literally got shipped for schedules after schedules and see if you still focus on the performance. Most of these idols literally have one whole day of preparing and rehearsing with no rest, schedules before flying in, schedules after flying out, hair and make up where its you on the chair for hours. Even Lee Hyori said she never actually watch others performing because she literally go blank while being in the audience. Lee Hyori was even once said to be playing seniority because she was caught not really watching her hoobaes perform when in reality, she zones out from being too tired.

nami0509 and cassexotic like this.
  14. jimeous

jimeous Artist

I wouldn't be, Gfriend grew up in an era where SNSD were the Nation's GG, when Gee was released they all were kids, Sowon was just 14 at the time.

So I'm saying if the J-Line of TWICE knew about SNSD, then how much bigger would they be to South Koreans that were raised in an era where they ruled?

15. kddicted

kddicted Star

Then I'm confused
    What group isn't respecting snsd? What's all the fuss about juniors not respecting snsd?

jimeous likes this.
  16. SunnySun

SunnySun Super Rookie

Wait, being fans of SNSD doesn't mean that Gfriend have to kiss their ass everytime, they didn't had time or had something more important to do than go to SNSD that day, nothing wrong with this, idk why people believe that Gfriend aren't fans only because of this, they have ther life to take care of, sones ask to much from rookie groups only because they want them to give Snsd 100% attention

cassexotic and persona1418 like this.
  17. FTJ

FTJ Rookie

And yet a lot of the idols who could claim fatigue or weariness still clapped at the end of the performance. It's clear some of them were not paying attention at all yet still mustered the energy to clap once the song was finished. That's fine. They're at work. They should have the minimum amount of manners.

18. steveleeyg

steveleeyg Entertainer

SNSD & Big Bang paved the way for the current gen of groups who are in the spotlight right now.

Respect should be shown.

19. Drew_B_Part_2

Drew_B_Part_2 Artist

But we are talking about mostly teenagers here. Most teens don't even respect their own parents.

20. ShleeSNSD

ShleeSNSD Super Rookie

To any active girl group of this era and the 2nd gen., they will always be relevant. They may not care for them, but they still are relevant mainly because of their imprint on kpop/the idol industry. But I get it, no one wants to be in SNSD's shadow, each girl group would want their name to shine bright without being compared as the 2nd SNSD.

junmoneyyyy likes this.