Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

[Billboard] 10 Best K-Pop Girl Groups of the Past Decade: Critic's Picks

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by SowonderfulBlue, Jul 15, 2017.

1. SowonderfulBlue

Billboard made a list and chose their Top 10 K-Pop girl groups of the past decade, and surprisingly, this is one list I truly agree with. What do you guys think? I like all these groups, as well, hehe. Billboard have made some questionable lists in the past about K-Pop and it seems that most of them are made without much research, but this actually seems like there has been research done as if a K-Pop fan themselves have made the list or they talked with some. IMO, regardless of whether you agree or not, these groups belong on this list.

OH. And yes Billboard, shoutout to Jessica and give credit where credit is due!

EDIT: Link to the article provided below.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/k-town/7865168/best-k-pop-girl-groups-decade

Since the late '90s, when the original K-pop girl groups S.E.S, Baby V.O.X and Fin.K.L dominated airwaves, Korea has produced a bevy of talented female acts.

Since it’s Girl Group Week here at Billboard, it’s time to take a look back at the teams of women who have had the most impact on the K-pop industry over the past decade.

10. miss A

From their unconventional debut single “Bad Girl Good Girl” to the aggressive bubblegum synth of their most recent track “Only You,” miss A has been one of the most forward-thinking K-pop acts. Paying homage to Destiny’s Child with their Independent Women Part III EP and its anthem of a single “I Don’t Need a Man,” this former quartet -- Jia left in 2016 and the group hasn’t released anything together since 2015 -- is one of of K-pop’s most empowering acts of the decade.

9. Apink

Saccharine and lighthearted, this girl group has played it straight since 2011 and seen immense success because of it. While the Korean music industry saw a surge of more dominating, girl-power-focused female acts in the early 2010s, when Apinkwas starting out, the act stood out for their breezy pop tracks and innocent style. Though their international presence is less than that of some other acts on this list, Apink remains one of South Korea’s most popular girl groups and has had a softening influence on many newer K-pop groups, with younger acts (Lovelyz, Gfriend, April, etc.) veering toward lighthearted girlishness.

8. 4Minute

With rapper HyunA at at its epicenter, 4Minute thrived on brash electropop songs during the first half of their career, before experimenting a bit with their sound later on for some funky hip-hop (“What’s Your Name?,” “Whatcha Doin’ Today?”) and melancholic pop ballads (“Cold Rain”). As their career approached its end, they dropped “Crazy,” one of the most dynamic songs K-pop has seen in the past decade, before ending with the Skrillex-crafted EDM swan song “Hate.”

7. f(x)

f(x)’s effervescent brand of electronica and synthpop is both innovative and extremely accessible to non-K-pop fans, with albums like Pink Tape, Red Light and 4 Walls setting this quartet (formerly a fivesome) firmly apart from any other girl group K-pop has seen this decade. Unlike many Korean acts, f(x) has focused on full-length albums rather than EPs and filled them with decadent pop tracks.

6. Kara

Back in the day, few acts could compare to Kara. With propulsive beats and layered synths, Kara reigned with hits like “Mister,” “Step” and “Lupin.” The girl group’s legacy rests on being one of the most impactful K-pop acts in Japan; with their addicting songs, Kara dominated Japanese charts and became the first female foreign act to hold a show at the Tokyo Dome. Breaking into the second largest music industry in the world was no small feat, and Kara was considered a leader of the Korean wave's heyday of the early '10s.

5. After School and subunit Orange Caramel

There are few other acts in Korea who put their all into their performances the way After School did in the first few years of their career. Whether it was transforming into a marching band during promotions for their punchy electropop jam “Bang” or emoting the sorrow of sleek synthpop track “First Love” through interpretive pole dancing, few upped the stakes of K-pop presentation as much as this act. And what After School didn’t do, their quirky subunit Orange Caramel -- featuring members Nana, Lizzy, and Raina -- did. Becoming human sushi was all in a day’s work for this group, whose ethos rests on being bizarrely cute. Neither After School nor Orange Caramel have released any new music in Korea since 2014, but their impact is still felt.

4. Brown Eyed Girls

Though they began in 2006 as a vocal act that hid its faces from the public, Brown Eyed Girls came out from behind the mics and has spent much of the last decade as K-pop’s most innovative musical act. With conceptually driven pop songs that exude power, the quartet -- K-pop’s longest-running girl group without any member changes -- is always happy to push the envelope a bit. They’ve done everything from promoting free speech in “Sixth Sense” to reveling in female sexuality with “Warm Hole,” but it was their arrogantly sexy 2009 hit “Abracadabra,” a new-wave electropop track, that carved out Brown Eyed Girls’ place in K-pop history.

3. Wonder Girls

One of the most resilient groups in the industry before their break-up at the beginning of this year, Wonder Girls dominated South Korea with their modernized retropop sound. Hits like “Tell Me” and “Nobody” were some of K-pop’s first-ever viral successes, and, following a failed attempt at breaking into the U.S. market and some lineup changes, the group’s band-oriented Reboot in 2015 is one of the most impactful and successful rebrandings K-pop has ever seen. It resulted in late-in-career greats, with the synthpop slow burn “I Feel You” and the psychedelic “Why So Lonely” enabling Wonder Girls to end things on an extremely positive note.

2. 2NE1

The “I Am the Best” quartet dominated K-pop with their fierce charisma from day one with first single “Fire” in 2009. 2NE1’s hard-hitting hip-pop styling launched a career that brought the act to astronomical heights, and they paved the way for a more empowered side to K-pop girl groups. Between their pump-up jams and more vulnerable tracks, like “Ugly” and “Lonely,” 2NE1 endeared the singers to K-pop fans around the world. Though they struggled to move forward after peaking and were on hiatus between 2014 and their breakup track early this year, 2NE1’s final album, 2014’s Crush, was the highest-ranked Korean album on the Billboard 200 for two years until it was beaten last October by BTSWings.

1. Girls’ Generation

Going strong 10 years into their career, Girls’ Generation are undisputed K-pop royalty. Formerly a nine-member group, the eight women of Girls’ Generation are well into their 20s but still charm South Korea regularly with their tightly produced pop songs and vibrant femininity.

Living up to their name, Taeyeon, Tiffany, Sooyoung, Seohyun, YoonA, Yuri, Hyoyeon, Sunny and former member Jessica Jung shaped a generation of K-pop girl groups when the bubbly “Gee” became Korea’s undisputed hit of 2009. Since then, the Girls have stayed true to their classic sound, coming up with ebullient hook-driven singles (“Hoot,” “Oh,” “Party,” etc.) and redirecting K-pop’s sonic styling with hits like their slinky “Tell Me Your Wish (Genie)” and the legendary genre-blending whirlwind that is “I Got a Boy.” More recently, they’ve tried out a few more dramatic sounds, like EDM on “Catch Me If You Can” and bold brass on “You Think” but still maintained the refreshing attitude that made them Korea’s reigning pop queens.

Though they’ve been around for years and members have pursued their own careers on the side -- some act, some are solo artists -- Girls’ Generation aren’t showing any signs of slowing down: The girl group is planning to drop a special album in August to commemorate their 10th anniversary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq7ftOZBy0E

#1 SowonderfulBlue, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    centen, ohmyqueen, Qricket and 7 others like this.
  2. meems

meems Entertainer

My Girls at #1 :loverr2:
    Always will be #1 till they decide they are quitting! js :p

SowonderfulBlue likes this.
  3. keyboardwarrior7

Not saying I agree or disagree, but Billboard is really riding that K-pop wave.

4. SowonderfulBlue

They will ALWAYS be #1 even AFTER they quit just like any of these groups will ALWAYS be some of the best in the industry. Sure future groups can achieve more and what not, but the marks, impact, and influence these girl groups have achieved and accomplished cannot be replicated.

I don't think it's a bad thing though. It's smart of them with K-Pop becoming noticeably larger with a bigger following. I think that's great for K-Pop and the music industry because it means that K-Pop is "important" enough to be noted. Especially considering the fact that it's asian culture which is difficult for most of the rest of the world to relate and find likable, it's great IMO.

meems likes this.
  5. kashchanocchi

kashchanocchi Artist

they really are, especially that one dude who's a bit too active on twitter. kinda cringe but i guess since it helps them get more attention. it's working since yenno, we're here even discussing them lol.

OnehoeforWonho likes this.
  6. keyboardwarrior7

I agree, to some extent, but I always kind of side eye lists like this from Western websites because I'm not sure if they are just trying to get a pat on the back, or if they actually have people who know what the hell they are talking about.

7. SowonderfulBlue

But isn't that the purpose of any writer? So what's your point? Even if it WASN'T a western company, that's the purpose of any social agency.

This list looks pretty good to me. It's not like none of these groups don't belong here or haven't been considered among the top of girl groups.

I don't understand why K-Pop fans have to have this kind of attitude about any non-KPOP fan related things. This is a good thing.

centen likes this.
  8. keyboardwarrior7

Lol, I didn't say it wasn't, and I didn't say the list is bad, but I want someone to write about K-POP because they actually enjoy it/not just because it's the trend. They have a right to write whatever they want, and I have a right to question it/not read it.

Most of them are writing about K-POP just because it's the trend, and they have the right to do that. But, if I feel that's the only reason, it holds no value for me.

kashchanocchi likes this.
  9. meems

meems Entertainer

Preach! That's exactly what every new so called kpop fan should realize and respect. Those girls ( not only SNSD) have brought kpop and hallyu wave to what it is now.
    I am so effin frustrated over the new groups and fans tbh. Comparing them to kpop from 2014 or so and before, it's garbage, everything, they can't live up to the originality and greatness of groups before them.
    I'll forever be happy and grateful to the older generation :c
    I've been listening to old kpop music for the past 4 hours, can't get enough of the epicness :(
    made me feel so nostalgia and I came back to the forums after being away for a long time.
    Today's music is so forgettable ( not all ofc, but like 95% is)

10. Shellfish_Beach

wow ! I've never seen any of these lists before at all, so informative :)

11. SowonderfulBlue

Lol, well sadly that's how these companies and social media work. You don't have to like or accept it, but most people that cover and write these articles most likely don't feel how YOU ideally want them to. I think that's asking for too much honestly and it should just be looked at as a positive thing.

How will anything ever gain appreciation? This is like a first step kind of thing and IMO, having that kind of mindset/attitude about it only holds back and limits any positivity for the community.

It's really not that serious.

keyboardwarrior7 likes this.
  12. keyboardwarrior7

Lol, if it's not that serious, why are you even responding to my comment? o_O

I really have nothing else to say. I've spoken my peace on the situation, and I stand by what I said. Feel how you want to feel about the whole thing. I'm not gonna lose any sleep.

13. ygbad_boy

ygbad_boy Artist

Credit is due where credit is due, just like I've been saying. I'm not a SONE and SNSD's is not my taste (except for their ballads) but I will always admire and respect them because they were the FIRST K-pop group that made their concept work and after that almost every other Kpop girl-group ride on that wave.

14. SowonderfulBlue

I'm saying the whole ordeal isn't that serious, like the article and all.

Take it with a grain of salt. I personally don't have any arguments, disagreements, or anything about how you feel with the list and all. I'm just saying you should look at it positively and not be so pessimistic/against it despite the intention behind it because things like this will ALMOST ALWAYS be like that where it's getting attention because it's a trend. Hardly do people ever care that much about something like this, EVEN K-Pop fans themselves.

15. keyboardwarrior7

I hardly ever read articles about K-pop unless it's my favorites. I think we both just have different views about the whole thing, and that's not bad. I could careless if K-pop becomes popular in the West or not, so I don't care whether they get attention in the West or not.

I want the groups I like to achieve success, but I'm not one of those people who needs K-pop to be bigger than what it already is. So, articles like this in Billboard, People, or where ever are just white noise honestly. But, that's just my own opinion.

16. Eline98

Eline98 Artist

I like this list to be honest.

Happy to see After Scool and Orange Caramel getting the recognition they deserve too. It seems some forget how amazing they were

Fantastic7 and SowonderfulBlue like this.
  17. SowonderfulBlue

In all honesty, K-Pop has already become popular enough in the west. Like I said, no arguments or disagreements.

But that kind of mindset/attitude just makes me disappointed/sad because that's not good to have. It's just very negative. Of course, that's how you feel about it and how I feel, it's my issue, I don't like that generally but I just want those who feel that way to be able to look at it from a better point of view and I just wish you could be more positive about it. I'm being too idealistic here now and so I'll leave it at that as I have attempted to change the perspective for you and make it a positive thing but you've stated your piece as I have mine.

18. SowonderfulBlue

Honestly, I think SNSD's concept is not really having one. Of course they initially debuted with a "fresh, youthful" concept but I don't think they've ever really had an overall group concept like how some groups are known like APink is known for being cute or f(x) is unique. I think that's what makes SNSD so successful because they don't limit themselves to one image and are able to take any concept and make it their own to pull it off. I don't think people give them enough credit for that honestly.

I agree. After School is iconic despite the fact that I'm not really into the group, but how big they were and their work deserves to be recognized.

19. blekpink

blekpink Rookie

I don't think you could argue anyone else but SNSD at #1. 5-10 are debateable, but they're not bad picks.

Fantastic7 likes this.
  20. miitsss

miitsss Rookie

I think this list is pretty solid for gen 2 yes