Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Amber lets stop blamming SM and face reality

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by haylucky, Mar 26, 2017.

1. haylucky

haylucky Star

**saw this comment and agree 100%

As much as I feel sorry for her, people need to understand that SM is a business and she's just not profitable or easily marketable.

Idols are like salespeople, depending on the company they will have certain expectations of how much merchandise you should be shifting, the higher your sales the more resources you're provided and they'll give you the hotter and newer items to sell. However if you have poor sales they'll assign you the shit merchandise and eventually fire you.

It's all well and good that she gets a lot of love online from ifans but that's useless if she can't monetarise it or translate that ~love~ into sales.

EDIT: People also need to keep in mind that expectations are different for idols from bigger companies. 15k may be a lot for an idol for a smaller company but in SM that's nothing exceptional. Seohyun sold 33k+ and her solo is still considered a flop.

*also another comment not by me

Honestly...if you compare how much SM has done for her versus idols from other companies and even within SM itself, SM has supported her quite a lot. From variety appearances, to her own solo album, to all those singles that SM allowed her to release under the SM STATION name, to even acting roles. SM even allowed her to have her own youtube channel and her own show. It's not produced by SM but she's under contract and they still gave her the freedom to do it.

I mean, look at YG and Minzy, she never even got a solo single. Under SM, look how long it took Seohyun to get her solo (and I would argue she was much more qualified for a solo than Amber). And I'm still waiting for Onew to get his solo release and he's almost 10 years into his career. Honestly, Amber is blessed that SM has actually supported her all this time and that she has had so many opportunities.

Edit: I do feel sorry for her. But she needs to look at the bigger picture, yes SM's treatment of f(x) hasn't been the best but for her solo career she's had it relatively better than most idols.

amber second complaint

**this is a K-pop conversation so for the mods who merge threads don't merge

#1 haylucky, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. richiedorjie

richiedorjie Super Rookie

SM should just organize f(x) comeback as f(3) with Krystal, Amber and Luna. Waiting for Victoria to make some free time to participate in a comeback is unrealistic.
    Actually I don't understand why hasn't SM organized f(x) comeback so far?
    Past couple of years only Victoria was busy like crazy (she still is) while the other three weren't so loaded tbh Maybe that's why Amber is complaining?

3. Crazy_Dog

Crazy_Dog Star

i agree with u
    sucks that she has the talent but realistically specking all her solo songs flopped /didnt even chart

4. meggan

meggan Star

SM should just let her release her music through her own YouTube channel.

5. haylucky

haylucky Star

is that legal though? like she has a contract with SM
    maybe a mixtape or SoundCloud or something but she has bills to pay and need sm support

6. meggan

meggan Star

That's why I said that SM should let her and not 'she should just release her music on youtube'. They obviously have power over that. Maybe it'll make her happy.

kayenguyen, qu33n, danilynn and 4 others like this.
  7. yoichiidesu

Finally someone said it

8. haylucky

haylucky Star

here's the thing I'm doubting a F(x) comeback all together F(x) has always been to the public Sulli + Krystal + Victoria in the beginning amber was popular but that quickly faded and now Victoria is hard core hated for her stance on the sea issues so to korea shes not to be supported. I highly doubt victoria cares because she makes millions in china by herself so she does not need F(x) at all. that pretty much leaves Krystal but krystal has all these rumors of being hard to work with and people keep saying shes just waiting for her contract to come up to join Jessica & tyler company. F(x) is in a bad place. I highly doubt SM cares since they have groups like Exo Shinee to make up for loss profit.

9. Exbbsy12

Exbbsy12 Artist

This is sad tbh.

10. LiteralGarbage

I agree 1000%. Some things just have to die eventually and her career (and the rest of fx) are at that point honestly :/ It's a sad and harsh reality but a reality none the less.

11. Drew_B

Drew_B Artist

If SM has said or hinted to Amber that she's not good enough I wonder if it's because although she's huge in the west she's really not that big in Korea. And theyve given her several chances to prove them wrong.

12. veatchoi

veatchoi Artist

i've always thought that she doesn't fit sm
    not because of her visuals or anything but because of her personality and style of music
    she deserves better tho, but we all know sm is just not gonna do it.
    but she has to have in mind that if she does leave sm things are gonna be huge for her because she's very popular, i don't think she's aware of that. actually her solo songs seemed pretty big to me, shake that brass was awful but the other ones like need to feel needed were gold to me.
    i just hope she finds a safe place.
    oh and keep doing music because she's a very wise song writer.
    just don't expect anything from sm, like ever, especially when you're not korean.:rolleyes:

13. meggan

meggan Star

Replying to your edit.

Doesn't youtube pay people if they get enough views? I'm sure amber could get money from that, at least a little. More than she's making by not releasing her music. She needs sm's support but she's been complaining about their lack of support. She said this was going on for five years, then why did she resign? Realistically she probably knows that SM has helped her out a lot.

14. haylucky

haylucky Star

that its though I mean look at her discography and then at the numbers also her MV views are pretty sad with a supposed western fanbase and the saddest part, not even her youtube Chanel garners the fandom expected of an idol that's in their 8th year especially a big 3 group that is considered successful. so clearly SM sees all of this and reevaluates is there a reason to keep pouring resources into her.

kayenguyen likes this.
  15. xiamarananjyp

xiamarananjyp Entertainer

i guess SM earns more from Victoria's solo career in China vs F(X) as a group.

kayenguyen and haylucky like this.
  16. Elf_lover

Elf_lover Artist

It upsets me to hear Amber talk this way as she has always been my F(x) bias. I just wish she would get more recognition and attention. She is a beautiful person, great rapper. I just want a comeback.

kayenguyen, Viv_Iann17, qu33n and 4 others like this.
  17. xiamarananjyp

xiamarananjyp Entertainer

I LOVE F(X),
    but I low key hope Krystal will join Jessica in her boyfriend's company and make some good songs together.
    I'd rather see her with her sister and get some freedom, than get stuck in dungeon with other group members. ​

18. JackieBunny

JackieBunny Artist

I agree with your post, Amber is honestly lucky in a lot of aspects like she was allowed to keep her tomboy style from the beginning to the end, they dint reprimand her she got a tattoo sleve, she has a lot of variety appearances and and solo's. And I felt like she was given more freedom than any idol in the industry. She shouldn't be going on rants just for whatever reason, because out of everyone in fx she got the better end of the stick.

I said this before if she had a girl crush concept instead of a tomboy concept she would have been the face of the group and not Krystal. Since out of everyone in fx it seems like sm pushes for her alot.

19. haylucky

haylucky Star

Yeah, they do RiceGum is a popular YouTuber makes $60k+ off 20million views.

Amber Liu

"need to feel" is from May 2016 10 months old has 1.6million views
    "on my own" is May 2016 10 months old has 900K+
    Subscribers: 99,709

What the Pineapple
    Her most viewed video is from july 2015 title: "Watermelon Challenge ft. Eric Nam + Friends!" views: 546,647.
    most of her videos are in the 100k-300k range
    Subscribers: 225,724.

Ranting Monkey on Kstyletv
    Her most viewed episode is the very first which aired in July 2016 the rest are all in the 100k-60k
    [KSTYLE TV] Ranting Monkey EP 01 | Amber at KCON France: 423,716

Also you're right I have no clue maybe she saw hope in the future which is why she resigned. I literally want to tell her she gotten way more support then any company would if she YG she wouldn't have gone solo at all.

20. blossom_girl

Of course.
    They're running a business, not charity.