Current Events

Bus driver falls asleep on a busy highway leaves 2 dead and 16 injured

By KpopJoA   12 days ago   19,283   121   1

On July 10, Seoul's Seocho District Police Station reported that two people were killed from a freak accident on a highway connecting Busan to Seoul.  The incident had occurred after a tour bus driver Mr. Kim (51) had fallen asleep behind the wheel.

Police personnel stated that a warrant will be issued two weeks later considering the victims ' families in mourning.

According to police, Mr. Kim was driving on the Gyeongbu Expressway on July 9 around 2:40 pm KST taking the two-lane expressway rather than the bus-only lane when the bus slammed into another vehicle causing the deadly pile-up collision.

SEE ALSO: Middle schooler threatens an 8-year-old with a knife in an elevator

At the time of the accident, a K5 sedan which the bus crashed into, was trampled under the bus causing the two people in the car, Shin couple (both 59) to die instantly on the scene and leaving 16 people injured.

During the investigation, Mr. Kim commented, "I lost consciousness after driving for strenuous hours," which police deemed he had fallen asleep while driving.

However, the black box cameras did not capture Mr. Kim yawning or dozing off in between prior to the collision.  He had been wearing sunglasses and appeared to be looking out ahead.  He had taken control of the steering wheel just moments before the bus collided with the K5 sedan but was too late.

It was revealed that Mr. Kim had worked from early in the morning on the day of the accident where police are investigating the working regulations.

1. Buzz
  2. misc

neko2412neko 11 days ago

OMG the "car" under the bus... I´m surprised that it's allowed to release those kinds of accident videos... in my country, it isn't allowed to do...

natasyaa 11 days ago

omg that was.. :(( if you're tired then do not push urself to drive. i drive everyday, and i exactly know how it feels when your eyes feels heavy, so sleepy. you can't concentrate at all, like there's no cars in front of you, and sometimes you don't even realize that you're just increase the speed. please be careful.. i think at least they should have a replacement driver for driver workers...rest in peace for all the lost..

jeyjin 12 days ago

I feel bad for the truck driver and all of the victims. I blame management for putting pressure on their workers to even work so much with little sleep. The families should sue the company

badjainna 12 days ago

Oh men!! That person under the bus!!

MyTwoCent 12 days ago

Risk lives -vs- Risk being fired.....hmm?

SippinCha MyTwoCent 12 days ago

not sure which side you're on but apparently a lot of people here would risk lives... makes me sad with humanity.

AshleyDaUnicorn 12 days ago

RIP.

pink_oracle 12 days ago

That was like something out of a horror movie. The car is completely folded up like a scrap of paper, jeez it's awful.

seungriseyo 12 days ago

Oh my God... RIP

BobbyJJANG 12 days ago

omg this looks soooo horrible... :´(

SippinCha 12 days ago

This is seriously one of my BIGGEST fears. Irresponsible drivers. Please people if you're tired, sick, drunk, on drugs (that included medical drugs), DO NOT DRIVE! Don't be a selfish a**hole. If driving is your job and you have  any of those above let your job know, it's better to risk your job than risk the LIVES of innocent people.

woase SippinCha 12 days ago

Although I agree with you but it's easier to say it than doing it.

pink_oracle SippinCha 12 days ago

What if you tell your boss and they tell you if you don't drive you're fired? Many people have rent to pay or families depending on them and cannot simply throw a job away. I have a pretty good feeling it's the company that's at fault here.

SippinCha pink_oracle 12 days ago

I guess it depends on the person's morality and selfishness. I personally would rather not risk peoples LIVES and risk my job. Trust me, I totally get the fear of losing a job. I'm jobless right now and would hate to face a possibility of losing a job when I finally find one. But I would rather risk a job than peoples lives. In most countries you could TOTALLY sue a work place for firing you for saying you're too tired to drive or under the influence. Unless it happens too often, then it's on you and you probably have an underlying issue. The fact of the matter is, people died. Families are left without their loved ones FOREVER because she/he was scared to lose a job. Unfortunately this hits home for me on a personal level, my loved one died because someone was tired during their job and made a very stupid mistake that took the life away of my loved one. I would have been a much happier person if that person had delayed it by days, weeks, months, heck even years... rather than take the life away of my loved one. It's been months but I am still devastated and find myself in pain because this person is gone. I just can't help but imagine what the families of the victims are going to go through. My heart goes out to them...

SippinCha pink_oracle 12 days ago

sorry for the long reply by the way, ever since I dealt with the death of my loved one stories like this on the news aren't "just news" to me... I get too emotional.

sweetxmochi SippinCha 12 days ago

While i do agree the drivers themselves need to be responsible for their saftey and others on the road, they honestly might not have the choice to say no. Finding another job is extremely hard nowadays (especially if you are older...in korea there is a lot of age discrimination). It may sound easy, but if you put yourself in the shoes of someone who has to support an entire family you'll realize how difficult that decision really is 😰Not saying that choosing to drive while ill/tired is okay but I don't think it automatically makes the person an asshole. That being said, i feel horrible for the family of the two that died and RIP 😢

SippinCha sweetxmochi 12 days ago

Trust me this hits home for me hard. My long reply I went into some more detail. I guess everyone thinks differently. I personally myself would risk my job if I knew I couldn't drive. My life and comfort and fears are not worth more than the lives of innocent people. Even if he/she were to be thinking about his family, it's better that he or she risks their job (there's no guarantee they're going to lose it) than risk their lives (which is a guarantee they'd be gone).

pink_oracle SippinCha 12 days ago

It pretty much is a grantee drivers are fired quite frequently for refusing jobs. It's an international problem. But falling asleep wasn't guaranteed. A person with a family literally can't throw their job away. Their duty is to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table, and the government sure isn't going to financially support people who were fired for being 'too sleepy' to work.

sweetxmochi SippinCha 12 days ago

I totally understand where you are coming from and I am incredibly sorry for your loss. However I'm not saying that what that person did was the right decision, and it is on him (along with the company) for the death of those two people and the pain it caused to their loved ones. Just saying that sometimes good people can make the wrong decision? Once again I'm NOT justifying this person's decision (cause it was a terrible one that could have been avoided) but I wouldn't crucify him. My heart seriously goes out to their families and I also feel bad for the driver as well cause it is not something he intended to happen and now has to live with this tradegy for the rest of his life. Hopefully changes can be made regarding working condition regulations and people realize how dangerous losing focus on the road (or any other situation) can be.

SippinCha sweetxmochi 12 days ago

totally, I wasn't trying to crucify him either. I honestly was talking about any job in general that could have peoples lives in your hands you know. I guess it's still too fresh for me so I get emotional... Thanks for understanding.

just lve