Current Events

The future is here: Koreans can now make a purchase with a swipe of a hand

By KpopJoA   11 days ago   9,957   129   26

The future is now. With vast technological advancements, Koreans can purchase goods with just a swipe of his/her very hand as depicted in numerous sci-fi films.

A 'Seven Eleven' convenience store on the 31st floor in Lotte World Tower is receiving much attention for its latest invention.  There are no cashiers at the cash register and customers do not need any paper currency, wallets, cards, or electronic devices to pay for their goods.  However, there's one thing they will need.  Their very own hand.

That's right, with the new biometric system on the rise many businesses seem to be pushing a rather cashless society, going digital overall. Paying with your hands or scanning your iris sounds like something from 'Minority Report', but it has now become a reality.

What sets this particular 'Seven Eleven' apart is the new 'HandPay' system.  This new digital system carefully scans an individual's exact fingerprints, hand patterns as well as the thickness of the blood vessel to uniquely identify the person.

Payments are made through the customer's associated Lotte Card upon registering.  Though this may seem like only the beginning, professionals have predicted manual labor work such as cashiers will gradually diminish with time.  A representative claimed, "With the introduction of self-service shops such as this one, it will help facilitate working speeds as well as allowing employees to focus on other jobs like logistics and storing up supplies."

The rules are quite simple.  In order to make a purchase, a person has to place their items on a conveyor belt as the robotic scanner will then scan the items.  With the assistance of the software, the transactions will be made via the Lotte Card with just a hand swipe.  In addition, to safely regulate tobacco sales, a 'smart tobacco vending machine' has also been placed to avoid underage consumption.

SEE ALSO: 51 Koreans arrested for smuggling over 5,000 pounds of gold in their private parts

Welcome to the future everyone! What are your thoughts on this new technology?

1. Buzz
    2. misc

intricate 10 days ago

this technology is decades old and they come up with this now?

jypehottest intricate 10 days ago

not sure about this but South Korea technology is way ahead of the world. You only know when you went there.

intricate jypehottest 9 days ago

i went there and i was often wondering why things that i was used to being automated weren't automated hahah.... there's many things they still do by hand. South korea is just a normal country to be honest. But to get back on topic, fingerprint scanning and payment by ID is technology that's been around for at least 10 years. So i'm pretty amazed nobody ever came up with a system until now. Fingerprint scanning as a means of security has been in used since the 90ies, and it's been in consumer products for that purpose since the early 2000s.

phili721 10 days ago

Gg its over. Terminator is is coming

crystalk 11 days ago

damn,  never imagine i'm livin in the future that i watch on films

mihaella 11 days ago

I'm not ready for all these technology advances

idgafily 11 days ago

The US have had biometric payment for awhile now

vasencety 11 days ago

That's preparing us for the Mark of the beast. Guys, please pray to Jesus and repent! I know it may sound like a joke now but soon it's bound to happen.

taytaye vasencety 11 days ago

Lol I wanted to say exactly that without sounding crazy!

vasencety taytaye 11 days ago

I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. Idk, but things are moving really fast and I really don't care if I'd sound crazy anymore. I'd rather warn people than stay silent. And I can totally see how they'd even use kpop to promote it as something "cool"...

taytaye vasencety 11 days ago

Same tbh. I'm happy that we're woke. Spread the word of God.

vasencety taytaye 11 days ago

Sending you hugs! I remember how easily I'd have fallen for this if i had been a teen again - so many flashy things out there. But I'm glad God has woken me up on time. I hope the new generation won't fall for this trap. God bless you! <3

kimmiefonze vasencety 11 days ago

*** Plays EXO's Let Out The Beast.

lye54 vasencety 11 days ago

This is true. They are trying to slave the people by controlling them financially and you all fail for it calling it the "FUTURE" People deserve their misery for being ignorant.

taigoesrawr vasencety 11 days ago

Omg...so glad other's feel the same way. Don't be fooled by this cool new idea of a cashless society and using your body to purchase things. This is exactly what the Bible warns us about in the Last Days... be right with God and submit yourself to him before the trumpet sounds. He is surely coming soon.

taytaye vasencety 10 days ago

Sending you hugs too! I actually cant believe that its finally happening. Probably the iPhone/apple worshipping generation would definitely fall for this. Even using your fingerprint to pay by phone scares me. Have a good day/night guys. Stay woke!

vasencety lye54 10 days ago

Exactly! People around me are so oblivious to this material world that it makes me sick.

vasencety taigoesrawr 10 days ago

Yes, He is coming soon! And most people aren't prepared for this at all. I just pray for them to find Jesus and turn from their old ways.

vasencety taytaye 10 days ago

They're preparing something really big and most will accept it for the sake of the comfort of this world. I really can't understand how people don't see it - we're not animals! Have a nice day/night as well!

taytaye 11 days ago

Hopefully the system is not flawed! But what about employment? Surely many people are going to lose their jobs.

SahanaE 11 days ago

A lot of people are going to lose their jobs and personally I don't like the idea of giving my fingerprints to a store.

April_vicious 11 days ago

But the cashiers are loosing their jobs? Idk about the whole scanning my fingerprints thing, it's unnerving. I hate having to even give my fingerprint at the DMV

michinpabo 11 days ago

Technology and robotics is great but we also need to be mindful that every time we make advancements like these, people lose jobs.

totes