Current Events

How would you react if you witnessed a man abusing a woman in the middle of the street?

By KpopJoA   13 days ago   42,614   166   91

Dating abuse has become a serious issue in Korea.  To address the awareness, a YouTube Channel decided to conduct an experiment hoping to find out how people would react while witnessing a violent interaction.

Surprisingly enough, the results were quite shocking as you can see in the video above.

On May 12, a YouTube Channel named 'THE PONGS' posted a video featuring a couple acting a dating abuse scenario.

In the footage, a man and woman stood face to face in the middle of a busy street, as the man, who was playing the role of a boyfriend, was raising his voice at her.

SEE ALSO: 51 Koreans arrested for smuggling over 5,000 pounds of gold in their private parts

"What did I do wrong?" the girlfriend asked when the boyfriend exclaimed, "Do you wanna get hit again?" raising his arm.

The girl then said, "People are looking at us."  However, the man ignored her comment and said, "Do you want to die?"

Despite the argument happening in the middle of the street and escalating to physical abuse, pedestrians just stared from afar, and failed to help, not wanting to get involved in the couple's situation.

Soon, the verbal fight turned into a physical one as people still refused to bud in, and instead moved away from the couple as the fight escalated.

After some time, a man who appeared to be a student walked up to the man courageously and reprimanded the boyfriend of his wrongdoings saying, "It's not right to hit a woman."

The man then continued, "It's not right to do this to any woman.  The man has to show proper respect to the woman."

The video illustrated the critical aspect of the problem, as records show more than 600 incidents of dating abuse were reported over the past five years.  Especially men in their 20s and 30s were the main offenders, with 80% of women being the victims.

Thanks to this experiment, many are becoming more aware of dating abuse.

1. Buzz
    2. misc

animated_ahjumma 11 days ago

Every time I've seen a dude abusing or harassing a woman I've stepped in to help her. Never in my life has anyone helped me when guys harass me in public. Most people won't do shit, no matter how many times they say they would. They're liars and cowards. That knows no borders. I've never seen a woman abusing her male s/o in public before I went to Korea last year. We were at a park and this girl was yelling at her boyfriend because the pictures weren't turning out pretty. I watched for a bit, then she picked up the tripod and hit him. That's when I stepped in. My Korean doesn't extend to cussing, but I'm sure she was cussing me out a storm. I asked the guy if he was okay and told him to go for a walk as I tried to calm down his girlfriend. Actually, that probably made it worse because she seemed more embarrassed that this huge black woman was talking down to her is terrible Korean. Anyway, another older lady came by and talked to the girl and got her calm.

monavis 11 days ago

It's none of our business. If you want to help, do as you please, but don't expect everybody should. If others don't want to help, that's also none of our business.

Jaraiya_Ero 12 days ago

There are many reasons why people wont intervene, one being that most times the abuser and sometimes the abused will turn against the person trying to intervene! Here where I live that has happened many times where two cases where the abuser has actually killed the one trying to stop the abuse!! Most times people want to intervene but they first have to weigh up whether its safe to do so, or just report it to the police first...  You can't blame people for not wanting to intervene, but have to weigh up the risks to do so...These types of videos don't do any good and never ask the questions: why don't other intervene, instead by doing this doesn't solve or help anyone.

teleri 12 days ago

I've been in this situation before (seeing a woman being accosted by a man she knows).  Both times I told the guy to stop or I'd call the cops, & asked the woman if she needed help.  Once the woman told me to just leave it, not my business.  I told both of them they made it public business by being in the street.  I did witness this once in someone's house - I had to be more circumspect - but I took the baby (oh, yeah, jerk attacked his wife while she was NURSING) & reminded him that I outranked him & this was against military regs.  Of course his wife was a little firebrand who didn't take $hiite from him, so I helped her pack up that afternoon on a trip to her mom's.  I talked him into getting counseling as well.  So that's what I do....

SuperFly_Snuka 12 days ago

What would you do if you saw a woman abusing a man in the street?

Jaraiya_Ero SuperFly_Snuka 12 days ago

Watch YT you'll see many people do just the same, even video the incident on their phones!!

robin1 12 days ago

When I lived in Korea, a friend and I were at a restaurant where a man yelling at his wife so loudly. They were right next to us. Then he reaches across the table and grabs her shoulder and starts shaking her violently. Everyone was looking, including us. The he had a butter knife and he was yelling again so loudly and he bent the knife in half! His wife just got up and walked out the restaurant. Granted their whole table was covered with Soju bottles and she kept insisting he drink more, I guess to shut him up.  But it was like a scene out of a movie and no one did anything. And Korean couples fight ALL the time in public.  And it was always the guy being the aggressor.

Kbloom 12 days ago

I'd shit on his lawn

Jaraiya_Ero Kbloom 12 days ago

No you wont, your just a keyboard warrior without a backbone!! Give it up and stop dreaming...

Kbloom Jaraiya_Ero 12 days ago

Oh, just watch me :)

judyi 12 days ago

I'll be honest and say that i won't go near an emergency situation containing blood or rescue because I'm the type to paralyze in fear. The only time I cannot and will not hold back is if it involves a vulnerable person getting beat or children being abused. This causes unbelievable rage in me, and i just about want to kill the person. I've gotten in several fights over protecting people at school especially bullying, even if I don't know them.

cmerle1 12 days ago

I can't believe no one was getting involved (the bystanders). The violence can come on suddenly or progressing until the other person ends up in the hospital or worse. I'm sure it's a problem in other countries as well and am curious how bystanders act. Such a shame that she's putting up with the abuse instead of finding a police officer or even walking away when he becomes abusive.

Jaraiya_Ero cmerle1 12 days ago

It is. There are reports of where the abuser has turned on those intervening and actually killed them!! So many now weigh up whether its worth intervening at all now days!!

iluvtiffanyswigs 12 days ago

they would grab a soju and cheer there hyung on...facts

totes