On March 17, according to a University hospital in South Jeolla Province, a senior female college student in the nursing program identified simply as 'A' was found unconscious in a hotel restroom located in Naju, South Jeolla Province on March 16 at 8:13 pm.
Upon her discovery, she was rushed to the nearest university hospital but was pronounced dead within an hour.
'A' attended a student welcoming party and it also happened to be her birthday. A pile of choco pie was used as her birthday cake and an acquaintance suggested that she should eat all the choco pie as fast as she can.
After hurriedly eating the chocolate and marshmallow covered snacks, 'A' hurriedly left the room saying she had to use the restroom. When she didn't return for a while, someone decided to check on her where she was found to be unconscious.
A representative of the university hospital claimed 'A' was unable to breathe after eating the choco pies in a rush causing a blockage in her respiratory tract.
They added, "We will know the exact cause of death once performing an autopsy. However, it looks like the choco pie is related to 'A's death."
In addition to investigating 'A's death, police personnel stated they will be looking into the university's student management.