The tragedy took a total of 304 victims and will be forever marked in the nations' heart. Furthermore, in the midst of the disaster there were some brave souls who sacrificed their lives to save as many people as they possibly could.
Here is a compiled list of some of the people who fought until the bitter end:
1. Jung Cha Woong of Danwon Highschool- "Wear my life-vest"
During the ferry accident, Mr. Jung Cha Woong gave his life vest to a fellow classmate and went off to rescue other students.
2. Choi Hye Jung Danwon Highschool Teacher- "Don't worry. You guys go first, I'll follow right after"
A newly-appointed teacher at Danwon High, Miss Choi Hye Jung assured her students through Kakaotalk and did all she could until the end.
3. Nam Yoo Cheol Teacher - "If Yoon Cheol had gone back, he would have saved the children"
Gaining much respect with his initiative attitude, it has been revealed that Mr. Nam had helped students escape until his last breath.
4. Jeon Soo Young Teacher- "I have to get life vests for the students"
At the incident, Teacher Jeon sent a text message to her boyfriend saying, "I have to get life vests for the students" and never returned.
5. Teacher Go Chan Seok- "You guys go out first!"
Teacher Go handed out life vests and instructed his students to leave first and helping them, while he was unable to make it in the end.
6. Yang Dae Hong Sewol Ferry Officer; "I have to go save the kids now, dear"
At the time of the accident, Mr. Yang made a short call to his wife, leaving his last words, "Can't talk for long...There's some money in the safe, use it for our oldest son's school tuition."
7. Park Ji Young- Sewol Ferry Attendant- "The attendant is the last to leave"
Realizing there was a shortage of life vests, Miss Park took off her own life vest and assisted in leading the passengers to safety.
8. Jung Hyun Sun and Kim Ki Woong Sewol Ferry Attendant Couple- "Please hurry and go outside of the ship"
Planning to get married, the Sewol couple could have safely made it out, however, they decided to rescue passengers who were trapped inside.
9. Lee Kwang Wook A Private Diver- "I came to act as a patriot"
A private diver, Mr. Lee was trying to secure a line to the ferry when he had trouble breathing under water.
May their brave souls rest in peace.