Group Chat
TWICE Chat
EXO Chat

Current Events

Baby allowance pouches are trending for Lunar New Year

By KpopJoA   29 days ago   20,562   108   13
buzz

Upon celebrating Lunar New Year, it seems baby allowance bags are trending in Korea thanks to the holiday.  During Lunar New Years, when families gather, the elders usually give the children some money allowance after doing a traditional bow.

An online community post went viral showing off these allowance bags. A netizen posted, "What do you think? My sister-in-law visited and brought her daughter who had a tiny allowance pouch strapped around.  Curious, I took a closer look at it.  It does seem cute, however not sure how other people might perceive it."

The revealed photos show children holding onto the pouch with the phrase, "Please give me money so I can buy myself snacks."

Seeing this, netizens commented, "Can't believe parents would actually buy this for their child," "What is this a joke? The money is going to go to the mother anyway," "The phrase itself doesn't fit with lunar new year, shouldn't it be happy new year instead?" "It's not cute and looks like a beggar."

SEE ALSO: Staff Picks: 5 cool places in New Jersey that will give you a taste of Korea

1. Buzz

JeffBenson 27 days ago

Were was this when I was growing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I knew I always should have been Korean!!!

FloveJ 28 days ago

oh my, every body needs to chill~ it's just a pocket. If ypu don't like that phrase then just ignore it. It's just like clothes with caption like "F*ck You", but that doesn't really want to f*ck you right? yall really need to get chill pills. Why people very serious these days?? tsk.

shikey 28 days ago

"Its not cute and looks like a beggar" exactly .... like giving money , even if tradition , it's still something that people do as a kind gesture , having your baby with that it's like you are forcing them to give it to you

jessykim 29 days ago

my daughter grandparents gave her $300 for lunar new year, but that money will be used on her and her only c'mon not all parents are gonna take the money

chaelicen 29 days ago

this was originally meant to be a fashion piece, not for lunar new year LMAO. if you check out the original designer and the kids who styled it, they wear it as an everyday piece. it's cute, but ofc wearing it to their grandparents' for new years'? that's tacky.

~Chocoberry~ 29 days ago

I don't like it.......it seems tacky.

skyisblue 29 days ago

It's sad that some little kids in Korea are being used by the parents to get money... not cute...

DZico 29 days ago

give me money to buy snacks , or give me money so I can give the money to mama .

silver_fox 29 days ago

the snacks part is really cute but idk about this. personally I would never give a child this

ATA 29 days ago

Personally, this seems just as tacky as wedding and baby shower registries.  Like, we know a present (in this case money) will be given, but asking for it shamelessly is tacky.  No hate towards the kids though, they have no fault in this whatsoever.

walk