UP10TION's Japanese single 'ID' becomes most-sold debut album by a K-Pop artist of all time

By beansss   15 days ago   21,858   3,674   37

UP10TION is hot in Japan!

According to Oricon, UP10TION's debut single album 'ID' sold over 167,000 copies, becoming the most-sold debut album by a K-Pop artist of all time. UP10TION landed at #3 on the daily Oricon album chart on March 8, below Japanese artists Sandaime J Soul Brothers at #1 and Morning Musume '17 at #2.

The record for the most-sold debut album by a K-Pop artist was previously held by EXO, with 'Love Me Right' released back in November of 2015, which sold 147,000 copies.

UP10TION's 'ID' also placed #1 on the daily Tower Records album chart, while the group successfully broadcast their debut showcase in Tokyo live on March 8. They'll be visiting Osaka for another showcase on March 10.

Check out UP10TION's "ID" MV above!

1. UP10TION

annaseyoooo 18 hours ago

This makes me so proud! I'm proud of this Group and it's fandom! I'm proud that I can call myself a Honey10! Their music is great, their choreographies are amazing and they're super kind and funny. I love them and I love everyone who's supporting them!

allinonetonone 14 days ago

yay!

junxxmin 14 days ago

Okay but I don't doubt because up10tion has amazing stuff all the time, their music is great

Jsoulbrothers 15 days ago

If they broke the record oricon would've mentioned it haven't seen oricon mention them it only sold 32000 in its first day

taeyeon4eva3 15 days ago

huh?? what about SNSD & KARA tho??

juliennemarie taeyeon4eva3 15 days ago

They, along with the early Hallyu wave performers like TVXQ and BoA, all built their popularity slowly. Kara's japanese debut sold 29,238 it's first week. SNSD's sold 44,907. Oricon is Japan's leading music chart, they're not just going to say UP10TION broke the record if they didn't actually do it.

Jsoulbrothers juliennemarie 15 days ago

Where did allkpop get the information it only sold 32,892 in its first day

taeyeon4eva3 juliennemarie 15 days ago

but it said of all time tho, like it didn't indicate if it's first week sales? "of all time" so I'm just gonna assume it refers to cumulative sales of which SNSD sold 1 million copies & Kara too, if I'm not wrong but I'm not too sure about Kara.

juliennemarie taeyeon4eva3 15 days ago

I think they worded it poorly, which is leading to confusion. They don't mean full debut album, which is where KARA and SNSD sold higher. They mean DEBUT SINGLE RELEASE. SNSD's first single release, Genie, sold 151,042 cumulatively, which is less than UP10TION's reported amount.

juliennemarie Jsoulbrothers 15 days ago

I think what happened is they released member versions after the release date, and with ten members, the sales spiked? The weekly chart hasn't come out yet, but when I was at Tower Records (I live in Japan), I definitely saw a big number on the Oricon report. I think we'll have to wait for the official weekly announcement to figure out what's going on.

taeyeon4eva3 juliennemarie 14 days ago

oh thank you!! allkpop really has a bad habit of wording their articles badly SMH but thanks for the clarification!!

Jsoulbrothers juliennemarie 9 days ago

Has oricon realesed the weekly charts yet

universalkpopfan 15 days ago

Oh, their doing well! This underrated but talented kids deserved it! I hope Korean fans can appreciate them more.

shenalsone 15 days ago

Uhm? TVXQ's break out sold 169k in it's first day tho?

juliennemarie shenalsone 15 days ago

That wasn't their debut. This is about debuts.

federick 15 days ago

Why not!? They deserve it.

musicangel 15 days ago

I'm so happy for them!! They are finally getting the recognition they deserve ;u;

lolitea 15 days ago