Variety

Michelle Lee reveals people called her 'dirty' when she was little because of her skin color

By jennywill   Monday, February 20, 2017   65,640   2,436   135
michelle-lee

Michelle Lee talked about the hardships she faced because of her skin color.

She was a guest on 'Hello', where a Nigerian man came onto the show to break stereotypes. The man revealed that even though he's been living in Korea for 9 years now, he was still tortured by stereotypes. He said, "People avoid me saying I'm scary. I was told that I couldn't rent places out because Black people were dirty. I am not a scary or a bad person."

SEE ALSO: [OP-ED] Recent Competition Show Scandals Raise Questions About Famous Youth

Michelle Lee agreed and said, "When I was young, no one sat next to me on the bus. My friends' parents would tell them, 'Don't touch her, she's dirty'. The reason why I was able to overcome all my hardships is because there were people who loved me. Live for them. It'll make you happier."

1. Michelle Lee
    2. hello

WhitePInkRose 12 days ago

such a beautiful encourage words. I really like her exist in this world. She's so beautiful

shineesylvia 30 days ago

I've missed her, where has she been?

johwa 30 days ago

ignorance will do that !!!

propanda 30 days ago

It's mind-baffling how far ignorance and- plain racism can go. Cause actually thinking that someone is dirty cause their skin is darker is just another level of stupidity and I can't fanthom why they thought that.

mind_blown 30 days ago

You know what, I'm willing to bet my ass if Beyonce or another internationally famous black celebrity were there they wouldnt say half the shit they're saying.

nami_chan 30 days ago

Well that shows how ignorant people can be, I personally think she is really beautiful =).

judyi 30 days ago

Shes so beautiful, its sad to hear these stories. When i was young i moved from California to Washington state and it was the very first time I ever faced Racism. At first I was taken aback but later I realized that I was not normal in THEIR Eyes. I was someone from a culture who they have never met. When i put myself in their shoes I could understand that I was an outsider, as we got to know each other I was able to show them my lifestyle and I learned theirs. People first need to be willing to even understand that they need to come from a place of values and principles. *******If your Values are to treat people with kindness and respect then THAT should be where you start to judge people first. People say "Judging is wrong" but its from what perspective of values that you are judging, that you should consider First.**********

Nadjeortez Monday, February 20, 2017

If this was the 1950's id give Korea or just Asian countries a pass because they where more sheltered. BUT in the 90's and 000's there is no excuse for such blatant evil. Asians really need to stop being so damn racist , and stop treating white people like they are their gods.

judyi Nadjeortez 30 days ago

there isnt much blacks in South Korea, nor are there a lot of mixed people. Honestly foreigners just started becoming a bit more normal not from from the 200'0s so there's still a lot of prejudice especially when older people and many adults are not accustomed to change. I mean even in America there is still SOO Much Racism in the south. But then again there is a lot of uneducated people in the south

neoncolors_0 Nadjeortez 30 days ago

How about white people stop being so racist in setting a bad example for those in countries that "treat white people like their gods".

Nadjeortez neoncolors_0 30 days ago

white people being so racist? lol umm,,,,where does that happen? And white people arent the parents of the rest of the world. Are non whites brain dead ...no so think for yourself. 2017 no excuse for idiots.

Nadjeortez judyi 30 days ago

im from the south .So much racism? No actually there isnt you find more racism in the north and west than in south. And ive lived in both north and south as well. And korea has no excuse. I dont care who isnt in your country you have an educational system you know better. No excuse.

neoncolors_0 Nadjeortez 30 days ago

Did you seriously just ask "where does that happen?" You know how prevalent racism is in the western world. Either you're blind, ignorant or both.

hyukki Monday, February 20, 2017

There are assholes every corner of the world. You just need to fight them.  And the thing is there are more people who will accept Michelle (or alike) than not. That is the most important thing to remember.!   Koreans must take care people like Michelle. She was born in Korea to a Korean mother. She could be a president someday.

LordLiar18 Monday, February 20, 2017

It's really sad to know how people are so ignorant even to this days!!! Color skin should not and should never be a factor or dirtiness or whatever degrading!!! I'm so mad how children could be so cruel and that's a big problem with education imo!!

Nadjeortez LordLiar18 Monday, February 20, 2017

ignorant mean lack of knowledge . These people didnt lack knowledge just a good heart.

finger heart tee